NBN

Author Topic: NBN  (Read 10960 times)

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
NBN
« on: January 03, 2018, 11:55:10 AM »
I have been having really slow fixed wireless internet of an evening lately, start the day at around 47/17 (used to get this speed all day and night) and down to 3/5 of an evening.
Its taken me at least 20 phone calls and weeks to get them to say yes my tower may be congested. The problem is they will not ask for it to be upgraded because apparently if you can make a speed of 25/5 just once in a 24 hour period your internet if fine according to nbn.co.  It has to be a flawed project if a place 20min from Tasmania capital has to have fixed wireless. By the time its finished, well before its even finished its obsolete :(

I am just doing a public announcement letting everyone know that if your are on adsl2 stay on it as long as possible, the nbn is turning into a very bad joke. We are probably going to have to move house over this, 2 daughters, one starting uni the other does nothing but watches nettflix, makes the internet nearly impossible for anyone else, I have had to ask no one else to use it on a Tuesday and Thursday now :(

Public service rant over :)

The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Joe

• View Profile
Re: NBN
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 12:00:47 PM »
I had a letter back in october to say nbn was ready to my address after having lots of letter prior to that saying it was coming soon. A couple of months later had another letter to say sorry and that it wasn't actually available yet ;D

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 12:01:54 PM »
I'm still on ADSL2 and delaying the move for as long as possible. I'm in an HFC area (cable), and NBN has suspended the roll out in HFC areas in any case, due to problems that have surfaced with HFC.

What an utter balls up. It's farcical.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 12:04:26 PM »
My adsl isnt the fastest but my wife is always on netflix when im racing and often kids watching netflix Netflix in practise too and i still have a ping around 10.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 12:05:04 PM »
yes it is farcical, I cannot understand why there is not more in the papers about how it actually works in real life, or some enterprising politician is not on the band wagon about how crap it is.

I just realised the error of my ways, enterprising politician, lol

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 12:08:57 PM »

yes I used to be able to do all that when I first got nbn and when I used to have adsl.

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 12:41:29 PM »
I cannot believe this Phil, the sense of powerlessness must be mind blowing, have your tried contacting your local ombudsman. This ludicrous situation really needs to be made public. My heart goes out to you Phil, needing to move house to get decent internet, beggars belief. :'( :'(
social media is the tobacco of this century

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 12:58:08 PM »
If you can get the proper NBN, go for it.  If you get the MTM (Malcolm Turnbull's Mess for the uninitiated) then it's a game of luck.  There are reports of it being pretty darn good, and utter rubbish, too.

If you have to - or decide to - change, I'd recommend a decent ISP that is willing to go the extra mile to help you sort out any potential trouble - eg Internode - if you're willing to pay a little extra for the service.   

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 02:11:21 PM »
Yes...I pretty much moved because of my internet. Almost 6 long years of fighting and arguing with telstra about congestion on my exchange I'd had enough. Had adsl 1, 8mbps but was basically dial up speed. Funny thing is they finally upgraded my exchange to adsl2 a month before I moved. People should've voted Labor lol
Part of the argument here https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband/albion-park-exchange-CONGESTION/td-p/87854

Sent from my SGP512 using Tapatalk

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 11:44:30 AM »
Finally got an answer today, it is tower congestion causing slow internet and they are hoping to update the tower in second quarter of 2018

Online Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 12:08:16 PM »
Finally got an answer today, it is tower congestion causing slow internet and they are hoping to update the tower in second quarter of 2018
And if the government gets its way, that'll be with a tower from the '70s. ::)

2+2=√16

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 12:25:42 PM »
And if the government gets its way, that'll be with a tower from the '70s. ::)
This is an nbn ad for a new type of PC monitor based on new technology - a cathode ray tube...

Online Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2018, 11:28:29 AM »
OK, just to piss someone off.

That soccer team stuck in a cave in Thailand are getting fibre optic internet while they wait to be rescued.
I guess 4km down a cave a Thailand is less remote than Australian cities. ::) >:(
(or Thailand just doesn't use outdated technology.....)

2+2=√16

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal