Xtreme Gaming Network

VR - exciting times ahead...

Author Topic: VR - exciting times ahead...  (Read 53658 times)

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
Re: VR - exciting times ahead...
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2019, 12:02:29 PM »
So what's the consensus: virtual reality vs triples?
Having tried VR on multiple occasions, using a quad monitor setup and knowing what mates/users and people say on forums I'm not so sure if there is a consensus at all...at least a broad one.
It seems it's leaning towards VR a bit.
HTC vive and the Rift is out of the question for me because of (in this order) poor resolution, limited of FOV, comfort issues and I like being aware of my surroundings and seeing my gear.
I believe I will end up using VR at some point in time, but I'm starting to doubt a bit that the current technology using closed goggles with these lenses (needed because the human eye can't focus distances <7cm, they are getting bigger and bigger to provide more FOV) is getting results I'd be happy with.
After browsing forums and getting feedback from Pimax users I figured this thing most likely won't do it for me so the only high-end system in development I know of is StarVR.
It seems to be good, but it will be expensive and demanding on your graphics card. In the end I guess we have to hear what actual users, who spent money on it, will say about it. As mentioned before there are financial issues with Starbreeze as well.
What I've got in mind as a potential solution are two tiny curved screens integrated in an open and very light headset where the screens are kept at a distance of >7cm from each eye. That would eliminate the need for lenses at all and all the issues coming with them (which seem to be pretty much impossible to solve because of physical realities). Yes, the headset would be a bit larger, but I think they can be significantly lighter than current systems and having some natural airflow around this area of your face may make it more pleasant/comfortable to wear. I've never read or heard anyone discussing this technology/system so no idea why and if that's actually possible...I'm just a layman in this field.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 12:09:09 PM by killagorilla »

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2019, 06:51:19 PM »
I think, killa, you can't eliminate the lenses, unless your target market is under 28.   As you age, your eye is going to be way off the 7cm mark.  I know mine is at least 30cm (minimum focus length - when my eyes aren't tired!) and I'm pretty good for my age.

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2019, 08:41:40 PM »
Hmm, guess you're right...wasn't well thought through, was it? Yeah, then you'd need special glasses for just this purpose. Don't know if that makes sense.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2019, 08:13:35 AM »
Hmm, guess you're right...wasn't well thought through, was it? Yeah, then you'd need special glasses for just this purpose. Don't know if that makes sense.
Well, that's another way, certainly; design the headset so it can be used with reading glasses.
But 7cm is extremely close, there's heaps of people who don't use reading glasses but are off the 7cm mark (see myself, again). 
And even if you're good to read at 7cm,  it's probably not good for your eyes to do that for any length of time.
So I don't think designers would opt for that solution.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 08:43:49 AM by Bird »

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2019, 09:48:04 AM »
Well, that's another way, certainly; design the headset so it can be used with reading glasses.
But 7cm is extremely close, there's heaps of people who don't use reading glasses but are off the 7cm mark (see myself, again). 
And even if you're good to read at 7cm,  it's probably not good for your eyes to do that for any length of time.
So I don't think designers would opt for that solution.
Guess you're right.

Offline gawaterman

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2021, 12:28:16 PM »
If anyone in Adelaide is interested in trying VR  there is a pop-up shop at Westfield Marion (ground floor)that lets you try them and they are running AC on all their setups.
Just tried it at $25 for 15 mins. Not the Occulus, but a cheaper brand. Think they are there till the end of the week. They also have a range of Thrustmaster gear for sale, but not cheap
Regards
GWyar

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2021, 02:31:49 PM »
https://store.hp.com/au-en/default/hp-reverb-virtual-reality-headset-7fu78pa.html

Same resolution as G2 about half the price . NB. this is RevA of this headset and 100% reliable. Perfect for Sim Racing.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 02:35:57 PM by rooshooter »
social media is the tobacco of this century

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal