Xtreme Gaming Network

Cobra Setups and "Training"

Author Topic: Cobra Setups and "Training"  (Read 8767 times)

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
Cobra Setups and "Training"
« on: August 14, 2015, 02:56:38 PM »
It seems to be emerging that we have the field laptimes really spread out this season in the Cobras. Perhaps the new physics make them more difficult to drive? Perhaps Phil.8 in changing his name from Krahl has also paid Guybrush for his "hacks"? The gap between Phil and Guybrush to even the other fast guys is pretty damn large! Last night the laptimes were:

1:44s for Phil and Guybrush
1:48s for Wally, GWyer
1:49.645 PB for Grubbet
No one else under 1:50

Having followed both of these guys "in car" while they lap there doesn't seem to be any magic "trick" - just good smooth driving and a better more consistent line and braking points.

Some suggestions/recommendations:

1. The main issue was that everyone in the 1:50s+ were really struggling with braking. There seems to be a bug in AC where you need to recalibrate your brake pedal in the its when you first connect to the server. Otherwise you end up with an extremely sensitive brake pedal that does not allow for progressive brake "pressure".

2. Phil.8 shared his setup last night on the forum pre-race chat topic. It was extremely helpful  but not everyone was able to take advantage due to TS issues. It would be good if everyone shared their setups ie Phil.8 and Guybrush :) if possible. Now that we have done 2 races these 2 setups are probably getting pretty good for most circuits.

3. It may be useful to take 5-10 minutes during practice to run a "training" session conducted of course by either Phil or Guybrush or both. The idea I have is for them to simply talk their way around a lap of the circuit while everyone else is "in car" with them.

The above suggestion will not close the gap completely but, I hope, will make the racing more enjoyable for everyone.

Thanks
Gratulin

Offline Joe

• View Profile
Re: Cobra Setups and "Training"
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 03:08:34 PM »

Are you sure? I'm fairly certain I saw Wally do a 1:48 and I think I even managed one sub 1:50 in one of the races  :o

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 03:11:53 PM »

Are you sure? I'm fairly certain I saw Wally do a 1:48 and I think I even managed one sub 1:50 in one of the races  :o

My bad, didn't see Wally's name there. Though I'm fairly certain I did a sub 1:50 the results say no, maybe it was a 2:48  8)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 03:14:48 PM by Joe »

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 03:21:24 PM »
Could have been an invalid lap? Those are filtered out by stracker I think.

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 03:42:56 PM »
Nice analysis.

I have always needed 'braking' training, but I my first step will be to take time to read some of the posts here and get my 'setup' correct.
I haven't had the time I normally do to follow all the 'guff' here, but will take that as my first step.  Very hard to be even 'Bruce smooth' with the brakes being 'unpredictable'
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 03:43:10 PM »
Highly possible!

On that note, should be be running PLP on Thursday nights because I noticed server slow down penalties are also on (after I got one). Seems like doubling up the penalties is unfair.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 03:44:36 PM »
Nice analysis.

I have always needed 'braking' training, but I my first step will be to take time to read some of the posts here and get my 'setup' correct.
I haven't had the time I normally do to follow all the 'guff' here, but will take that as my first step.  Very hard to be even 'Bruce smooth' with the brakes being 'unpredictable'

When I drove this car the first time I found braking really difficult as it locked up with very little pressure, but after changing the gamma to 2.19 it's much better with the GTEye spring.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 05:36:48 PM »
I'd be happy to do a video and talk anyone who could be bothered to watch through how I set up a car and learn a track and drive the track.

I've tried talking someone through a lap while I drive it online but there are two problems - first it's difficult to talk someone through it mainly because you need more time than it takes to get around a corner so you can't really just pause the game play while you explain what you're doing, and secondly you never get a good idea of what inputs are made when viewing someone online.  The braking, steering accelerating is always later than it really occurs and you don't see the fine inputs that are happening.

The best advice I could give is to jack up the "slip" FFB setting in the controller menu so you can feel lock-ups, and to practice, practice, practice.  Honestly, there is a good couple of seconds to gain from practicing and fine-tuning.  Even more with these cars.  If anyone was to practice for a good couple of hours, get their brake / turn in points just right, I would expect them to beat most people (even the faster guys) who have had little practice.  You can't expect to be quick if you don't practice.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 06:08:12 PM »
I found on the night that I was slowly getting faster by being smoother through the corners, virtually coasting through most of them with very little throttle input.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 08:30:45 PM »
This is why I have enjoyed Thursdays a lot. I have put in a bit of practice and relied on the the quick guys coming in cold. Worked for a while. Not so much recently. I didn't practice enough in the Cobra.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 10:33:04 AM »
Since getting the brake balance correct is tricky in the Cobra this little app is very useful.

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/brake-indicator.26073/#post-528859

For those with triples here is a replacement BrakeIndicator.py to position the lights correctly.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 11:54:39 AM »
Since getting the brake balance correct is tricky in the Cobra this little app is very useful.

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/brake-indicator.26073/#post-528859

For those with triples here is a replacement BrakeIndicator.py to position the lights correctly.

Nice one. I'll try it tonight.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal