Xtreme Gaming Network

S16R1: Paul Ricard WTCC post-race chat

Author Topic: S16R1: Paul Ricard WTCC post-race chat  (Read 16855 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
S16R1: Paul Ricard WTCC post-race chat
« on: March 14, 2017, 10:08:48 PM »
RACE RESULTS
SEASON STATS

Round Points
Marty    65
Phil.8    64
Diehard    58
Matthew111    58
Jeremy    54
Mael    54
nith    54
Simone    49
Joe    47
Freezer    45
Seanus    43
Wally    40
Slow_As    39
Cursed    36
Rob    36
Jimmy    33
AJ    32
Kcender87    32
RussG    26
Shameless    23
ab156    18
Bird    18
Doobs    13
Grat    11

Congratulations to Phil on pole position, Phil and Marty on the race wins, and to Marty for the overall round win.

Lap 1 Penalties
Race 1: Jimmy ran into the back of Bird - penalty of 40 kg for next race.
Race 2: Seanus had a spin, just a racing incident, between T2 and T3 on cold tyres, which caused a bit of a pileup.
Slow As ran into the back of Wally - penalty of 40 kg for next race.
Bird, Joe and Grat were 3 wide, with Grat almost completely off the track to the right. Joe moved across to avoid Bird, and hit Grat into the fence. Grat was to the rear and side of Joe and not visible, so racing incident.

Season Leaders
1. Marty, 65
2. Phil.8, 64
3. Diehard & Matthew111, 58

Struggle Street Racing Crew had a good start to the season, just 1 point clear of Krahl Racing, with Maki Racing coming third.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 11:46:58 PM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline AJ

• View Profile
Re: S16R1: Paul Ricard WTCC post-race chat
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 10:11:32 PM »
If that's anything to go by this should be a fun season. Had some good battles especially in race 1. Seemed like there was some fairly close racing most of the way through the field  :)

Offline Shameless_1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 10:20:03 PM »
Struggled for the first few laps with the lack of grip.  I was doing ok trying to keep rob off my tail until I starting getting hot and losing concentration. I ended up getting loose and slamming my side into one of the black tyre barriers, killed both f/r left side suspension, limped it to the pits for repairs and continued on to the end of the race. Managed a PB of a 1:30.6 for the first session.

Second race I was doing well until too many starting pushing it after the first corner on the first lap and I got sandwiched, damaged the car but was ok to continue.. then by the end of the first lap it went from bad to worse.. slammed into Grat who was spinning, I tried to avoid him but in the end had nowhere to go.. back in the pits once again.. made up a few positions from quitters and a PB of 1:29.6 during the race. I ended up passing guys on their lead lap under a blue flag because they were slowing me down..

Hope that the default tracks prove better grip for the porsche.  Starting to think we need tougher penalties for 1st lap offenders because it doesn't seem to discourage some people from trying to shove their way through on cold tyres.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 10:30:35 PM by Shameless_1 »
--- A quitter never races and a Racer never quits. ---

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 10:23:41 PM »
As AJ said close racing and good battles. Fun fun fun.

I qualified 7th which wasn't too bad, was taking it super cautious through 1 and 2, straightened up after two, put down the throttle to about half way and spun around to the right and hit the wall. My replay cut the start off, so I don't know if it was all me or whether there was contact. My wheels were pretty much straight and I didn't go full power so was really surprised to spin. Was waiting for a safe spot to rejoin and came back in 17th. I had quite a lot of good battles after that and a good chase with Seanus. Kcender came up behind who started behind me, so if the spin was my fault and you got caught up then sorry. Was a lot of cars around and I wasn't too sure what happened. Caught up with Wally and Simone at the end and had a bit of a chase there.

Race 2 had some fun battles at the start with a few people and a good chase on Slow As. I got past him on lap 10 with Simone 5.5s ahead. The gap slowly came down and finished the race just behind him but not enough laps to have a go. Jeremy popped in-between us for a few laps before hitting one of those black barriers.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 10:28:05 PM »
Horrible night for me :(... quite depressed.

Quali: did a bit better than I expected in 3rd. I thought Jeremy and kcender would have been ahead of me but managed a decent lap a few minutes from the end.

Race 1: the start was great: Marty had a bit of a moment at the get-go, involuntarily closing the space between him and Phil, but in the end left me some space for t1 and when he got a little sideways existing t2 I had a go on the outside of t3. From them we battled nicely through t3-t5 and I got out of it ahead of him. I fenced off a few attacks but then managed to get on a decent rhythm. I could have maybe kept the position, or at least have some fun and fight for podium with Jeremy. But on lap 7 or 8 I touched the black thingy on the inside of t2 and it was game over. Had to repair suspensions and lost a million seconds. I kept going in solitary, gaining a position when I think shameless had a big moment. Ended up 2 to last.

Race 2: I tried to take the start easily, but immediately quite a few were facing all sorts of ways around me, so I just tried to pass wherever there was no car (including having to go off track between t1 and t2). Everything went mostly fine until exiting t6-7: I had just passed Bird on the inside when we found a few cars in partial control ahead of us. I tried to go on the outside, but the car ahead of me did not see me. I kept going on the outside (of the track, now!) and rejoin after the corner, but again I was unseen and there was no space. It was the poor friend or the wall. Ended up being nice and chose the wall. I limped to the pits and repaired suspensions again. But when I came out of pits I was just a dangerous cold-tyres guy in the middle of the top-positions pack. I kept looking in the mirrors until I just felt enough was enough and preferred stopping being a danger for everybody.

As I said: very bad night for me. But my grasp is that the battles were fierce and laptimes very close. It will probably be a great season. Unfortunately it looks like it won't be a great season for me :( Probably I am just too tired these days to keep concentration for 30 mins straight...

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 10:46:03 PM »
mostly fine until exiting t6-7: I had just passed Bird on the inside when we found a few cars in partial control ahead of us. I tried to go on the outside, but the car ahead of me did not see me. I kept going on the outside (of the track, now!) and rejoin after the corner, but again I was unseen and there was no space. It was the poor friend or the wall.

This was me on the outside. I saw you (maybe not immedately as I was giving room to whoever was on my inside), but seemed to me you were trying to go three wide around the outside when there wasn't really a gap

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 10:52:02 PM »
Was a fun night with lots of pretty close times all round, qualy seemed a battle for all with the lower grip then Phil snuck in a nice lap at the end. I had time and fuel for 1 last lap but stuffed the braking to t1 and so luckily stayed on the front row as nobody else got in a better lap at the end.

Race 1 I had a pretty horrible start nearly spinning it off the line, ended up side by side with Grat for a few corners but the back straight I was outside and with cold tyres didnt really want to push the issue too much out there, I backed off a little and let Grat take 2nd. From there it took me what seemed longer then others to get up to temps and pressures with Phil putting in some good early laps. Grat was also quick so I just followed hoping to get a look at some point. He the nailed the big black tyre bundle lap 7, Phil was about 3 seconds ahead and so I just pushed on as hard as possible to make the gap up. It seemed my car came better in the second half and he was losing a little but I was barely gaining .1 to .2 a lap going well under qualy pace. By the end of the race I got a little closer but he drove too well and I just couldnt make up that early deficit.

Race 2, start wasnt as bad but Jeremy got a flyer and took the middle to t1. We were 3 wide me inside and somehow got around with only a minor rub, Jeremy and I were side by side through t2 and then into the chicane where I was out of position and again had to concede 2nd early. I battled Jeremy for a bit but saw that was just letting Phil get away even more and Jeremy had some good pace, so I let him go a little to see if he could catch Phil and maybe slow him down. Unfortunately around lap 7 or so he spun on the long double apex right at the end of the back straight, now it was again me chasing Phil. The gap was probably around the 3 second mark again but I made up a bit more time early to get into attack range with about 5 to go. I took a little look up the inside at the end of the back straight then backed out of it, Phil then went a bit wide on entry so I got back on the power and got inside for the next turn to make the pass. Considering the starts a 2nd and 1st were good results and seems there will be some close racing in these, passing isnt easy at any track.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 10:53:11 PM »
mostly fine until exiting t6-7: I had just passed Bird on the inside when we found a few cars in partial control ahead of us. I tried to go on the outside, but the car ahead of me did not see me. I kept going on the outside (of the track, now!) and rejoin after the corner, but again I was unseen and there was no space. It was the poor friend or the wall.

This was me on the outside. I saw you (maybe not immedately as I was giving room to whoever was on my inside), but seemed to me you were trying to go three wide around the outside when there wasn't really a gap

Actually what im in thinking about happened at 8/9 so maybe not you. Someone tried to come around the outsidr off the track though.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 10:58:57 PM »
Results in first post.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 11:04:53 PM »

Actually what im in thinking about happened at 8/9 so maybe not you. Someone tried to come around the outsidr off the track though.
It must be the same episode, Joe. So yes, it was me. As far as I could tell "live" I was side by side at turn in but... you did not turn in, so I had nowhere to go but off track. But of course I am sure that if I watch a replay I'll see I could do much better, I probably misjudged where bird was on the other side of you, and most likely it was at least 60% my fault ;). But in all cases: no worries, all good, no criticism meant towards you at all :)

I just wish race 1 went differently. I think I would have had plenty of fun battling with Marty and Jeremy there. Oh well, hopefully next week will be better.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 11:09:02 PM »
If anyone wants the race replays here they are for both races.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/vyj3z1n3waex2ke/replay_911_cup_r1_r2.rar

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 11:36:36 PM »
Good start for Maki Engineering, hopefully DA Racings's woes will continue  ;D

Race 1 started well but had to get out of Nith way at the long double apex corner, saw him approaching at a great rate of knots in the mirrors  and got out of the way  rather than risk a collision on lap 1.  This caused me to lose a spot or two. Hell bend on revenge I set after Nith vouching to make him pay! Unfortunately he was just too quick and revenge would have to wait until race 2.

Race two a couple of cars came between me and Nith to foil my revenge but I persisted. Then lap17 it all changed. A small mistake from Nith at T2 unsettled Kcender, who proceeded to test the tire cones resilience while allowing me to fly past Nith......revenge  :P

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 11:52:41 PM »
Qualified 10th and got away fine but found myself behind team mate Mael.  Good to see us both up there but initially I was catching him in some parts of the track and
was concerned about having no contact.  After a few laps I got by but not to long later a wobble saw him back past and pulled a 2 sec gap.  Spent the rest of the race
trying to close it without much luck.
R2:  Stuffed up coming out of T2 getting on the gas and spun.  Had to wait for the field to pass and was last.  From there spent the whole race just trying to catch people
to make it interesting.  Car was a little slower due to minor damage which didn't help my cause.
Good start though for Maki Racing . . . 

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2017, 08:03:33 AM »
@Joe, yeah you spun all  your yourself, too heavy on the throttle.

Race 1 was good for me. Negotiated the crowded T1 successfully, then got an early pass on Simone, who then chased me ruthlessly for the rest of the race. He seemed to usually catch up to me under brakes, then I would get better speed put of the corners, and so it see sawed but I kept the spot. There was a bit of a gap to the cars in front, so the race was a battle of watching Simone in my mirrors. That was a nice clean race for me.

Race 2 was not so great. I got hit in the rear half way through lap 1, while I had another car right in front of me, which spun me off the track, with another car unable to avoid me as I was sliding. I had to wait for the field before I rejoined near the back of the pack. I managed to get back a couple of positions, and that set up a really good race with Seanus and AB, with Rob in the mix too. Seanus and I swapped positions a few times in some good racing. I eventually clobbered a tyre bundle at T2 which broke my front and back aero and windscreen, but it didn't slow me down too much, just unsettled my rhythm.

It was good close racing, and I'm enjoying the level of difficulty with this car - relatively easy to drive, but you can still screw it up.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2017, 09:20:59 AM »
nice car that Porsche :), this week,  it will probably suck again next week
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal