Xtreme Gaming Network

S16R2: Barcelona GP Post-Race Chat

Author Topic: S16R2: Barcelona GP Post-Race Chat  (Read 6324 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
S16R2: Barcelona GP Post-Race Chat
« on: March 21, 2017, 08:25:12 PM »
RACE RESULTS
SEASON STATS

Round Points
Marty   65
Phil.8   64
Kcender87   60
Diehard   58
Mael   56
Shayne   54
nith   52
Jeremy   50
Seanus   48
Keith   46
Freezer   44
Wally   42
Joe   40
Doobs   38
AJ   36
Rob   34
Shameless   32
RussG   30
Bacchulum   0
Bafs17   0
Simone   0

(Remember that you have to finish 75% of the race distance to be classified as a finisher and get any points)

Congratulations to Marty on the clean sweep of pole position, race win, and the overall round win.

Lap 1 Penalties
None.

Season Leaders
1. Marty, 65
2. Phil.8, 64
3. Kcender87, 60

Struggle Street Racing Crew remain 1 point clear of Krahl Racing, with Infinity + 1 moving up to third.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 10:13:22 PM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Online Seanus

• RestrictedRacing
  • ∞+1|ℵ₀ Seanus
    • View Profile
    • GzeroD's output
Re: S16R2: Barcelona GP Post-Race Chat
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 10:08:44 PM »
 :) Good Race, and a bona fide top ten for me. Pitted too early and didn't catch the gap when I came out so had to fight it out with a few guys. Great fun, but sorry to Dez for the touch up, luckily it only sent me off. :o That lost me a few places, so fell down from fourth fifth when I pitted to ninth. :D
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 10:39:22 PM by GzeroD »
I always knew the Sun shone out of my arse. Sean's bum is an anagram of Sunbeams.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 10:13:41 PM »
Results are up.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 10:14:35 PM »
Good race even if not much actual passing action up front, qualifying was close so after scraping in to pole I just tried to make sure I got the lead to t1. From there went as hard as I could without big errors but really couldn't shake Phil off my tail. I couldn't see anywhere he could really make a pass unless I made a big mistake and so just focused on the apexes and especially the critical last chicane exit. We were within 2 seconds for most of the race and pit stop wise I was planning to go a bit longer then anyone following and when I would come out in clear track.

With the cold tyres the undercut really doesnt work but I saw my tyres had lost a bit and had I stayed out longer Phil would have started gaining on me each lap. I pitted and had a big enough gap to get the tyres to temp and then Phil ended up at pretty much the same gap before we both pitted. From there I just tried to push on to hopefully shake him off my tail but he hung on til the last lap.

2nd last lap I put in a pretty good lap but Phil just knocked it off the same lap the bugger to claim fastest lap. I tried again last lap but couldn't quite get that last point.  ;D

Offline Shameless_1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 10:25:49 PM »
I was struggling with setup and not below a 1:55 before the race.. thanks for the setup advice guys, got it down to a 1:53.7 in practise but couldn't get below a 1:54 for qualifying.. ended up 19th on the grid and spent the first half of the race just keeping ahead of rob and passing those that spun off, I think we were down to 13th or 11th at one stage, decided to pit on end of lap 14 which pushed me back a few spots.  I managed to hold off russg and a few others throughout the race for a lap or 2 but got a 10 second penalty and my tyres were bad so russg managed to get around from my spin but it appears his time penalties were more than mine so I finished 17th. pb during the race was a 1:53.054 so I was pretty happy with that time with a joystick.

congrats Marty for the win.
--- A quitter never races and a Racer never quits. ---

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 10:27:19 PM »
My PC has be frequently just restarting, or getting a windows stopcode i.e. WTF.
This got really bad this afternoon and I couldn't get it to start but then I moved my wheel to a different USB and it started.
However this caused the wheel to be re recognised as a two pedal setup and caused more headaches.
Eventually at the dying minutes it started, I jumped in and did two average laps in qual and the race was on.

Started 11th but once the tyres warmed up the front guys seemed to be pulling away and I couldn't keep up.  Had Keith behind for a few laps before he got past and
from there I pushed trying to keep in touch.  Eventually as the race wore on I did get back to with 1-2 seconds but now had Wally threatening from behind also.
The three of us pushed hard, each having the odd little slip  but neither could make a dent and we finished in that order.
Hot hard work, but fun.....

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 10:28:58 PM »
Qualified 5th and had a great start to the race. Seanus made a nice pass early on when I still wasn't confident on the tyres but then pitted early. Had good pressure from Mael after that, then got into a rhythm putting in a few 1:50s opening the gap from Mael behind a bit. He pitted around lap 16/17 and I put in a PB so went in myself. No tyre warmers made it interesting, I came out quite a way in front due to Mael's slower out lap but his tyres were coming up. I managed to stay ahead for a lap before making a mistake letting him by.

Soon after that it looked like Jeremy was going to make a move up the inside of T1 then he didn't but I'd already based my braking and turn in to give him room which slowed me down enough for him to get past. Then had some good laps chasing until lap 23 where I got just a little too eager on the throttle out of T7 and spun and hit the wall. Was in 7th at this point and was a fair gap to Shayne so kept my place but the aero damage meant the car just didn't was to turn in and was costing me a couple of seconds. Was 8 or 9 laps to go so decided to pit and fix the aero but forgot to turn off the tyres in PitConfig so had to sit waiting for tyres which took twice as long as aero, then came out on cold tyres again towards the back of the pack. Doobs was 9 seconds in front and I was able to catch and pass him after a few laps but Wally and the rest were too far ahead.

Pretty disappointing. In hindsight looking at the spread I'd have been better off just staying out and loosing a few places. Oh well, it's all learning.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 10:39:58 PM »
I qualified 10th, mid-pack, but just when the red lights went out in the race, my PC froze up or did a 1 FPS slideshow for a couple of seconds. I had no idea where my car was or what it was doing, and how there wasn't a pileup is beyond me. Someone said on TS that everyone just went through me, but when my PC woke up, I was without damage, just behind the pack. Miraculous.

From there I set out on the chase, and got back to P14 by the end of the 4th lap, being able to pass a few people on cold tyres. There I caught up with Bacchulum. We had a great nose to tail race for 3 laps, but I felt he was holding me up so I thought bugger it, I'll come in for an early stop on lap 6 to get clear track, without really knowing if the tyres would last the distance. They sort of did - by about lap 23, my rear left was pretty worn, and by the end of the race the rest of the tyres were wearing as well. Although the lap times slowed, the handling didn't get diabolical.

I got clear track after my stop, which meant the middle section of the race was fairly lonely, but I knew I'd be back in the action as the stops happened and positions normalised. After Freezer came out from his stop on lap 19, I chased him for the final 13 laps, with there often being a gap of less than 1 second between us. In the final laps, Freezer was visibly starting to make a few mistakes on worn tyres, as well as one concentration lapse that saw him clip the dirt, but my tyres were even more worn and I wasn't able to make anything stick.

Enjoyable race. No accidents, no mistakes, some strategic choices and good, close racing.

Offline Shayne

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 09:32:17 AM »
Last night's race was a great return to sim racing for me, being out of action for quite a while I wasn't sure what to expect so I was going to be happy with any result I felt. I made most of the long practice session beforehand and got a good feel to the car and track. With plenty of practice I never actually did a long stint to see if I was going to have any issues with tyre deg. A few people were saying they last forever and I was happy to accept their word.

Qualifying could of been better, I did a decent lap early on just as the tyres came on but I knew I could get more so I tried a few more laps but every attempt to better my time was ruined by little slips and slides.

Race;
So I started in 8th and quickly lost a position to Jeremy off the line. I'm not sure who was behind me for these first couple of laps but there were a few cars close to me and I have to say that it was all very professional, I didn't receive even the slightest tap by anyone which I kind of expected a couple times considering how close we all were to each other.
I lost another position to Nith on lap 2 I think while I was still feeling very unsure with my tyres and we were very close to each other but I just couldn't get a good enough run to make an attempt at an overtake. Luckily for me, a few laps later Nith went too deep into that chicane (Not the last chicane but the other one) and I was able to pass him there. I was lapping around .5 faster then Nith for most laps once I got in front so i was slowly making a gap and those ahead of me were doing a similar increase on me, so it started to spread out a bit. I seen Nith pit at the half way point of the race when he was about 4 second behind me I think. I continued on and tried to just hotlap by myself but my times weren't really that great and my tyres were really starting to show their age. I should of pitted a few laps earlier but ended up coming in on lap 22. Which left me 10 laps to do on a new set.
I came out of the pits just behind Mael and Jeremy and maybe Joe? I can't really remember, but I wasn't able to hold on to them with my new tyres so they managed to take off and leave me trailing behind. When I came out of the pits, Nith was about 8 seconds behind me and after that outlap was complete he was about 3 seconds behind me and I knew this battle with Nith was not over yet. I managed to just hang onto the position in the end and we gained another position late in the race when Jeremy had a couple big mistakes.
All in all, I'm buggered. That was exciting all race long especially when knowing I had a close competitor chasing me all race long. I couldn't have asked for more really, it turned out to be a fun and exciting return to XGN. Thanks to everyone for what seemed like a very clean race from my perspective.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 10:58:24 AM »
All in all, I'm buggered. That was exciting all race long especially when knowing I had a close competitor chasing me all race long. I couldn't have asked for more really, it turned out to be a fun and exciting return to XGN. Thanks to everyone for what seemed like a very clean race from my perspective.

Looking at race results considering a tricky car on cold tyres and an hour long race there wasn't much in the contact stats, quite likely many of those were also just minor rubs. This is a track that is very much follow the leader though with not many passing opportunities if the guy ahead keeps it clean but good effort overall still.

Monza may be interesting as I suspect the draft will be pretty big there with lots of side by side into all brake points, also possibly a very big and close pack all round but all here seem to be fairly good in traffic.

The guys being lapped maybe can run their own lines more and not need to back off as much to let leaders past, I saw a few go completely off track or panic and have a spin. If they simply hold their normal line and not try to defend or block those lapping them is really all that's needed and let the faster guy still find a way past. They should make it fairly clear which side they are taking and so the guy ahead watching mirrors should be able to let them past with minimal negative impact to their own race.

It can be tricky if the guys coming through are a pack of 2 or more but part of the fun of racing in a bigger field is to deal with traffic, they don't need to go off track to let leaders past. The quicker guys should be able to find a clean way past, if they get held up for 1 corner because they caught you in the wrong spot that's just bad luck for them. The only thing blue flag guys shouldn't do is block or hold someone up for multiple corners, slowing too much also makes it hard for those behind to predict what you will do so its easy if people mostly hold their race line IMHO.

Offline doobs

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 11:45:20 AM »

The guys being lapped maybe can run their own lines more and not need to back off as much to let leaders past, I saw a few go completely off track or panic and have a spin. If they simply hold their normal line and not try to defend or block those lapping them is really all that's needed and let the faster guy still find a way past. They should make it fairly clear which side they are taking and so the guy ahead watching mirrors should be able to let them past with minimal negative impact to their own race.

I drove off track before your pitstop, but that was because I was in a sloppy period and completely missed a brake point. I just thought it was easier to stay off the track for a couple of seconds rather than get back on and screw us both with a spin, however if I'd guessed you were pitting I would have got back on before you went passed.  :) That was one of my little mistakes that cost me at least 15 seconds all up. I always feel confident if you or Wally are catching to pass because I know you'll do it with patience, so usually just drive my normal line unless there's opportunity to stay offline on a straight, or similar.

I enjoyed last night mostly. The only thing that took away from it being a great night was a few periods of the race where I lost concentration and lost a few seconds here and there with a couple of offs and near offs.

I pitted on lap three because I thought I might have a chance to pass Wally, AJ and one or two others later in the race who were scrapping in front of me.
It almost worked too. After AJ  took his pitstop I could pass him on my hot tyres, and when Wally took his I was on his bumper but he is far too consistent for me and I kept losing little bits of time, then matching, then losing more bits andf eventually lost sight of him completely.

Joe was the recipient of a gift after I made a few more errors which cost me a position. Most of the later mistakes were caused by poor tyres because they were not in real good shape by the end of the race, but there is a period just before halfway points in races where I just lose it. Maybe I don't blink enough or something but it gets difficult for a couple of laps and I tend to drive poorly, missing braking points, turn in points etc. It might have been an interesting last 3 laps if I hadn't screwed up ......again.

A late 10 sec penalty didn't cost me any positions so that was good. I'm glad because all the "cuts" were time losing mistakes. I wasn't happy for getting penalised twice, once for poor driving and then 10 secs for not spinning. Bwahahahaha.

Anyway, it was an enjoyable night for me although I could have done without so many errors. The good thing was that I didn't make any huge errors or spin trying too hard, and at one stage I thought I might actually get into the 1:50's with a clean lap. Didn't happen, I'm not that good.

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 12:04:38 PM »
Enjoyable race. No accidents, no mistakes, some strategic choices and good, close racing.

Good summary of my race. Lucked into a good setup early on so knew a clean run would result in some decent points. Had great battles with a number of drivers including Joe, Jeremy, Nith and Shayne to name a few. With Freezer also getting some points even after suffering technical difficulties, it turned out to be a good race for Maki Engineering.

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 02:21:14 PM »
Very good guys!!!
Sorry but i had forgotten to switch the wifi off resulting in watching cars going sideways.diappearing,,,,big mistake!!! I am pissed off big time!!!

Anyhow,lets have a winfield ::) ::) ::) ::)

....but good to hear the great competition among the drivers,NOICE!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal