Xtreme Gaming Network

Amazon t2 small vs t1 micro performance

Author Topic: Amazon t2 small vs t1 micro performance  (Read 19189 times)

Offline marty

• View Profile
Amazon t2 small vs t1 micro performance
« on: October 18, 2014, 12:32:24 PM »
I just upgraded my server from t1 micro to t2 small, I think the issue with people not being able to join was the t1 micro was on its limits.

I had it up last nite with up to 24 people online, had 20 hz to start with and it shit itself with abut 17 people on. I dropped it to 10hz and was ok in a race but people couldnt join.

I tried upgrading to the next level up to see how much it changes it and quite surprised at the difference. I could likely run a couple 24 grid servers on it now once I figure out how to do that.

Before with more then a few people on CPU utilization was at 100% and I just did a 7 lap race with 22 people and cpu usage was only maxing at 25%.

Here is a graph of Server CPU usage over last 24 hrs, would have been a bit quiter over nite but earlier had full grids and pretty much 100% usage all the time.

Here is the Bandwidth in and out just recent with server update and 22 cars at 15hz.

I think a t2 small should comfortably be able to run an ac server with full grids and no issues, I will try more servers later tonight to see how that goes. Be out for a bit but if anyone knows how I could run more then one server that would be quite handy info I wont need to search for elsewhere.

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: Amazon t2 small vs t1 micro performance
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 12:34:28 PM »
Edit just tried to jump on the server and got the no slots available thing so it hasnt solved that but should run much better without maxing out cpu like it did before.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 12:38:40 PM »
I'm using a C3.large for Tuesday nights. Cool graphs. I might try that too next Tuesday for comparison.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 12:56:34 PM »
You'd think if it was the game saying the slots are full that it would be a game issue rather than a server resource issue?

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 01:04:29 PM »
Yeah it's probably a code issue.

Btw; check some disk I/O stats, too.   There are 3 metrics, and all are important ( actually 4 with the network I/O ).
CPU / Memory / IO   Any one falls short, and you'll start having problems. :)

Cpu can go over 100% for a while if it's a burstable instance (the new t2 is burstable, the older t1 isn't/wasn't).
burstale instances gather cpu "credits" when they're idling, and using it up when they need to burst over 100%.  Pretty good system.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 01:06:40 PM by Bird »

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 01:20:03 PM »
You'd think if it was the game saying the slots are full that it would be a game issue rather than a server resource issue?

Seems to be a game issue and devs have stated they are working on it. Its only effecting pickup servers and im pretty sure its got to do with the poor timing ingame. How can the server know how many slots are left when even ingame it barely knows who is in and who isnt.

Surely every person in the server should be visible in the games timing window but I have found this to be close to useless most of the time in this build.

No way flags etc can work when the game is having such basic accounting issues.

The upgraded server should let me run 2 or 3 off this which I will try tonight. From what I saw of IO and disk performance there is barepy anything going on there as all its running is the ac server and there isnt much to that it seems.

I did find all you need for running multiple servers is use some commands with the acserve.exe -e and -c noting entry list and cfg location. Use different ports for each server and it should be good to go.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 01:42:38 PM »
Bird, your karma...

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 01:45:34 PM »
Bird, your karma...
Thanks.   I wonder who's messing with it...

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 01:49:34 PM »
Sorry, every time you mention it I have to f@#k with it. ;D

2+2=√16

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 02:15:04 PM »
Isn't your karma a natural outcome of your attitude on the forum Bird? :))

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 05:02:22 PM »
Sorry, every time you mention it I have to f@#k with it. ;D

I get the same impulses but luckily bird has an army of haters that keep him as the antichrist.  ;D

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 05:09:30 PM »
Here are the stats for the last 6 hrs on the t2 small instance, there is no disk utilization at all really I guess its all done in memory. The only time it needs to write or read from disk is starting or stopping a server and that is bugger all anyway.

I will shut it down soon and try to run 3 servers off it and see how it goes.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2014, 05:25:23 PM »
Was trying to get into your server on and off over the last hour Marty and keep getting that stupid message.  Perhaps you could could just ban everyone?

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 06:16:24 PM »
I had a bit of a run this 'arvo on your server, then it disappeard :-\

2+2=√16

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2014, 06:53:05 PM »
Here are the stats for the last 6 hrs on the t2 small instance, there is no disk utilization at all really I guess its all done in memory. The only time it needs to write or read from disk is starting or stopping a server and that is bugger all anyway.

I will shut it down soon and try to run 3 servers off it and see how it goes.

There's no memory graph.  I think you can add one somehow - it maybe important, especially if you run multiple servers...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal