Xtreme Gaming Network

QOS

Author Topic: QOS  (Read 14982 times)

Offline Joe

• View Profile
Re: QOS
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2016, 02:29:52 PM »
That just got me thinking, do you have ADSL filters on all your lines?

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2016, 04:08:56 PM »
Simone, if that other line runs separately to the exchange, it's a good idea.  If it's on the same copper pair, forget it, you'll just tax the copper even more so you'll get two half-arsed connections.  You can ask telstra for another copper pair, but they'll ask for your farm and the lives of your children in exchange I reckon.

If you have telstra 3G/4g reception, a good alternative maybe to get one of those telstra wireless modem / wifi hotspot devices, buy some pre-paid data and either put the family on it during race hours, or use it yourself. 

The big catch:
pings are usually crap on these devices, and data is expensive.  So you won't be too happy if you use it, and they'll chew through a lot of money watching videos on it.  Sadly.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
QOS
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2016, 04:52:34 PM »
Simone,

Too many wall sockets in the house is no good for ADSL even with filters.

1. Disconnect all other sockets ie rewire so that the only copper into your house terminates at the one socket. Make sure it is a modern connector (not old big plastic one). This should increase your ADSL speed. No guaranteed and not by much.

2. As you suggest, turn off wifi on your main router. However, just connect your spare router to the bullion main router using Ethernet and run the house wifi off that. Your PC is then on a single Ethernet port and the rest of the house is on another Ethernet port. This means that you will get a better shot at the latency in the router and on the ADSL. Think of it as one packet from you then one packet from ALL of them etc.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 04:54:17 PM by Gratulin »

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2016, 04:55:50 PM »
ok i will keep disco the wifi   >:( >:( >:( >:(

No more filters or splitters Joe I HAVE UPGRADED they installed for me a separated box outside with sockets on the wall

k guys thx a lot!!! :-*

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2016, 04:58:50 PM »
Simone,

Too many wall sockets in the house is no good for ADSL even with filters.

1. Disconnect all other sockets ie rewire so that the only copper into your house terminates at the one socket. Make sure it is a modern connector (not old big plastic one). This should increase your ADSL speed. No guaranteed and not by much.

2. As you suggest, turn off wifi on your main router. However, just connect your spare router to the bullion main router using Ethernet and run the house wifi off that. Your PC is then on a single Ethernet port and the rest of the house is on another Ethernet port. This means that you will get a better shot at the latency in the router and on the ADSL. Think of it as one packet from you then one packet from ALL of them etc.

Yes the copper run straight to the modem,telstra guy fitted the box for me 2 years ago promising me a better speed,,,,but no it did not make any difference,but i like your idea i will give it a go

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2016, 07:04:25 PM »
But if more here on ADSL complete the test we may have something to work with.

This is mine http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/5565780

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2016, 09:47:18 PM »
Your bufferbloat looks a bit better, Joe.
Internode FTW! ;)

But it's not *that* much different I think.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal