Xtreme Gaming Network

GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Author Topic: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti  (Read 60031 times)

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2017, 12:30:18 AM »
Current crop of 1440p gsync monitors have one displayport and one hdmi (I think daisy chain is out of the question), with the limiting factor of 60hz over hdmi. If you're ok with not having gsync and still have a high refresh then something like benq https://www.pccasegear.com/products/36324/benq-zowie-xl2730-27in-144hz-led-gaming-monitor might do the job. Or try to find 27inch 1080p gsync. Oooor 1080p high refresh no gsync.
I guess if your rig is mostly gaming then 1080p will be fine even at 27inch or so
One more link for good measure lol https://www.pccasegear.com/products/37080/viewsonic-xg3202-c-32in-curved-fast-action-144hz-gaming-monitor

Well if cant daisy chain and stuck at 60 hz I might as well go 1440p then it seems
Yeah I think something like that benq, otherwise stick to 1080p https://www.pccasegear.com/pro...-27in-144hz-led-gaming-monitor 27inch 1440p 144hz may be the best all round, specs say it can do 144hz over hdmi 2.0. The only thing missing is gsync which saves you money, almost $300 per monitor. Be sure to check out reviews first just in case of some kinda kwirk/deal breaker (TN panel viewing angles). Keep an eye out for upcoming sales coming into Xmas period
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 02:48:35 AM by buellersdayoff »

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2017, 09:10:56 AM »
The refresh rate is a bit of a personal difference/preference thing. 
Some people can genuinely see the difference between 60Hz and higher refresh rates, but a lot cannot.   I'd actually check it out first before pulling the pin - unless it does not matter.   

The other important aspect is usage.  There's no single great solution for everyone.   I prefer screen real estate, and I hate curved screens... hence my 43" 4k montior.  But I've used triples before, and for racing they're quite good (side-by-side).    Sadly the triple setup is not the best for anything else.  I also detest having only 1080 pixels vertically, I can't even fit an a4 page on it. 

Each to his own, I guess.

Edit: oh, and the issue with the widescreen setup, is that a lot of games don't like that kind of unusual aspect ratio.  So again: it all depends on usage.   Altho if you've triples, at least you can change the config to use a single screen.
I haven't had any problems ultra wide yet, most modern games are on to it, I think the biggest issue was that some in-game ui would look stretched but the game would run fine. I came across a website that had fixes for this type of issues so I don't think it's a problem (so far, never had to use any), could be if you run some older games. The games that don't support the wider resolutions probably don't support multi monitor and you'll have black bars on the side, no drama we watch movies like that on our tvs.
Also if I had to choose, I'd take the high refresh rate over higher pixel density, the smoothness in racing sims is great and if you can match your fps with refresh rate in online shooters it does help...a little

Yeah, that's what I'm saying; each to his own :)

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2017, 09:30:29 AM »
The refresh rate is a bit of a personal difference/preference thing. 
Some people can genuinely see the difference between 60Hz and higher refresh rates, but a lot cannot.   I'd actually check it out first before pulling the pin - unless it does not matter.   

The other important aspect is usage.  There's no single great solution for everyone.   I prefer screen real estate, and I hate curved screens... hence my 43" 4k montior.  But I've used triples before, and for racing they're quite good (side-by-side).    Sadly the triple setup is not the best for anything else.  I also detest having only 1080 pixels vertically, I can't even fit an a4 page on it. 

Each to his own, I guess.

Edit: oh, and the issue with the widescreen setup, is that a lot of games don't like that kind of unusual aspect ratio.  So again: it all depends on usage.   Altho if you've triples, at least you can change the config to use a single screen.
I haven't had any problems ultra wide yet, most modern games are on to it, I think the biggest issue was that some in-game ui would look stretched but the game would run fine. I came across a website that had fixes for this type of issues so I don't think it's a problem (so far, never had to use any), could be if you run some older games. The games that don't support the wider resolutions probably don't support multi monitor and you'll have black bars on the side, no drama we watch movies like that on our tvs.
Also if I had to choose, I'd take the high refresh rate over higher pixel density, the smoothness in racing sims is great and if you can match your fps with refresh rate in online shooters it does help...a little

Yeah, that's what I'm saying; each to his own :)
I don't know why I quoted you apart from pointing out that ultra wide isn't really problematic. For sure each to own, for me I tried to roll as much as I could into one, high refresh rate, high pixel count, I wanted ips for colours and viewing angles, gsync, also as much screen space as possible with out going to multi monitor, a hell of a lot to ask for and came up with the Acer predator X34. Would be awesome if I could have all that and a higher refresh rate (currently 100hz) and hdr lol...

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2017, 10:30:39 AM »
Just wait a few years; the monitor manufacturers want you to buy more, so they'll provide I'm sure.

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2017, 10:48:23 AM »
Phil, before you pull the trigger on anything let's recap.
1. Single or triple *looks at gpu ports and their capabilities. 2x displayport & 2x hdmi 2.0
2. Do you want high resolution or is 1080p enough.
3. Do you want high refresh rate. (I can vouch for it, but as mentioned each to their own) if yes it rules out 4k.
4. Do you want variable refresh rate (gsync) I can vouch for that also but it adds $200+ to each monitor. Since most racing sims can maintain high frame rates above the monitors refresh rate gsync is not active, and same goes for shooters where you'd tune your games to run high fps anyway. Gsync is really only good for single player games or games that you aren't willing to dial back to maintain high fps.
5. Do you want IPS panels for colours and viewing angles or TN panels for ultra fast response times but compromise on viewing angles. IPS = 4ms, TN = 1ms

Just trying to help, I remember going through all this when shopping a year or two ago.

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2017, 10:53:37 AM »
Just wait a few years; the monitor manufacturers want you to buy more, so they'll provide I'm sure.
Haha, I'm happy with what I have, although sometimes when I see triples a little question mark pops up...the question mark then leads me to VR, then I think about my cataract...viscous circles lol

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2017, 11:10:05 AM »
1. Single or triple *looks at gpu ports and their capabilities. 2x displayport & 2x hdmi 2.0
3. Do you want high refresh rate. (I can vouch for it, but as mentioned each to their own) if yes it rules out 4k.
4. Do you want variable refresh rate (gsync) I can vouch for that also but it adds $200+ to each monitor. Since most racing sims can maintain high frame rates above the monitors refresh rate gsync is not active, and same goes for shooters where you'd tune your games to run high fps anyway. Gsync is really only good for single player games or games that you aren't willing to dial back to maintain high fps.
5. Do you want IPS panels for colours and viewing angles or TN panels for ultra fast response times but compromise on viewing angles. IPS = 4ms, TN = 1ms

Just trying to help, I remember going through all this when shopping a year or two ago.
\

Thanks very much , it is very helpful indeed  :) 

Never had gsync so I wont miss it and I usually own stuff that fps is not an issue ,  I would prefer higher refresh rate if I can run with 3 monitors and at least 24 inch prefer 27 and might as well go for 1440 also if going to spend money might as well get something decent :)
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2017, 03:16:36 PM »
Actually, can't you use the 4 displayPorts on 2x gfx cards to drive 3xmonitors all from dp at higher frequencies?
(I do not know this; over 60Hz is lost on me, never bought monitors like that)

Online Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2017, 03:26:10 PM »
No one uses 2 gfx cards anymore (except old skool soldiers like myself ;) )

2+2=√16

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2017, 06:12:21 PM »
Actually, can't you use the 4 displayPorts on 2x gfx cards to drive 3xmonitors all from dp at higher frequencies?
(I do not know this; over 60Hz is lost on me, never bought monitors like that)
Yes, or get a card that has 3 displayport https://www.ple.com.au/Products/627846/Galax-GeForce-GTX1080Ti-EXOC-White-11GB-GDDR5X Phils card is 2.5 slot wide meaning he wouldn't fit a second gpu unless the motherboard could accommodate them.
No one uses 2 gfx cards anymore (except old skool soldiers like myself ;) )
I concur

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2017, 09:30:04 AM »

\

Thanks very much , it is very helpful indeed  :) 

Never had gsync so I wont miss it and I usually own stuff that fps is not an issue ,  I would prefer higher refresh rate if I can run with 3 monitors and at least 24 inch prefer 27 and might as well go for 1440 also if going to spend money might as well get something decent :)
If you aren't in a hurry to get something, there's more to look forward to next year https://www.144hzmonitors.com/technology/gaming-monitors-2018-roadmap-for-the-year/ but a long way off I guess. Currently the benq ticks the most boxes, reviews seem good, I just hope the TN panel viewing angles don't become an issue particularly with the two outer screens when running triple, if they all point to your viewing position then they should be ok. https://www.kitguru.net/peripherals/james-morris/benq-zowie-xl2730-gaming-monitor-review/
Other than that right now it's 1440p 60hz, which you could find some really nice IPS thin bezel panels or 1080p high refresh rate because of the gpu connections.
Sorry for my rambling posts, I get bored with not much to do when I'm away for work lol

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2017, 10:49:39 AM »
Thanks,  I think its the benq also at the moment,  I don't see any 1440p 60Hz I like so far

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2017, 06:14:54 PM »
All 1080,  Wonder if any good or not

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/monitors/benq/benq-zowie-rl2755hm-27-full-hd-gaming-monitor/945807/ 

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/monitors/benq/benq-zowie-xl2411-24-144hz-full-hd-gaming-monitor/980923/ 

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/monitors/lg/lg-27mp59ht-27-full-hd-ips-led-gaming-monitor/441893/
You can certainly use a freesync monitor so don't rule them out, it'll run at a fixed rate. Initially I thought you might be after a variable refresh rate which you'd need gsync. Do a quick search of ips vs tn they both have their pros and cons.
Edit; there is also VA panels, dang you've got a hard job right now lol
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 06:17:33 PM by buellersdayoff »

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2017, 06:59:29 PM »
sigh

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal