Xtreme Gaming Network

S19R1: Silverstone Post-Race Chat

Author Topic: S19R1: Silverstone Post-Race Chat  (Read 16785 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
S19R1: Silverstone Post-Race Chat
« on: October 17, 2017, 10:06:38 PM »
RACE RESULTS
SEASON STANDINGS

Penalties
None. The start was clean. 1/4 of the way into the first race lap, Bacchulum slid on a kerb on Wellington Straight which resulted in him spinning across the track, which impacted quite a few cars. That had nothing to do with the rolling start procedure - it was just a racing mishap of cold tyres on a slippery kerb - which saw several people end up just being passengers in the unfolding crash.

Round Points

NamePointsBonusPos
Matthew111
Grat
Kcender87
Diehard
Wally
Seanus
Keith
Mael
JamieP
Bacchulum
killagorilla
Shayne
Joe
rexology
Rob
Shameless
Dave O
DC
Jeremy
Freezer
Phil.8
Flattop
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 11:12:34 PM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Joe

• View Profile
Re: S19R1: Silverstone Post-Race Chat
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 10:32:22 PM »
I didn't do much practice and didn't do any strategy preparation.... this was a mistake!

I took the safe bet of full race fuel, mediums and mediums again on the stop. I saw Shayne and Killa ahead were on softs to I thought they'd be coming in early for mediums and hopefully it would sort itself out but that was not the case when after 35 mins Shayne was still out, and by that time way into the distance.

The mediums seemed to go off after around 20 mins but get to a point where they didn't get any worse though I was losing time. I stopped after I saw Shayne did and came out 10 second or so behind. In the latter part of the race he and Killa were pulling ahead by a second a lap finishing 20+ seconds ahead.

Spent most of the race with with Phil who was a lap down due to the start incident. Just felt like a bit of a Sunday cruise  ;D

The majority of the passing by the LMPs was good. The first time Grat and Kcender passed me was at Village and I had one either side though the turn. Really didn't expect that but saw them coming fast on Helicorsa and adjusted my line to keep to the middle of the track and we all made it thought but seemed unnecessary. Later right at the end was going through maggots and becketts and knew they were behind me but through that fast section I need to keep my line, though Grat jumped down the inside of the right before hanger straight. I had no intention of leaving space there, but saw him just in time and was able to give just enough room for them to both squeeze past. Both incidents could have ended badly but didn't, but from my point of view probably shouldn't have happened.

Offline Shameless_1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 10:38:34 PM »
I had a good setup tweaked for the AMG on softs for the race, a first for me as the joystick chews tyres especially fronts.  I still managed a mid 2:04 so I was happy.  I qualified around 19th but due to the cars crashing in the first lap I was up to 12th. Held on to that position to pit with 35mins to go. Had to repair damage after coming loose and hitting the wall which took longer, came out in 14th, caught up to Rob and was looking for a way past and a good battle until out of nowhere Gratulin came flying in and I had to avoid turning in which threw my line off and I took the ripple strip wrong sending me into the wall and ended up with a car wanting to turn left, a wobbling bonnet and enough damage to lose 2-3 seconds a lap. Then to be caught up between Kcender and Gratulin who were battling position, again trying to force their way through it was 3 a side through a 2nd gear near hairpin and I was stuck in the middle and had to slow right down to give Gratulin some room.. I gave inside room to Kcender thinking Gratulin would follow through, I can't give way to both sides mid corner to exit.

I'm disappointed with some of the LMP drivers forcing their way in where they shouldn't be instead of waiting for a safer place to pass especially when they were not even battling close for a position. I wasn't the only one who experienced, I want to see some penalties introduced to try an stop this from happening. For the most part the majority of the LMP drivers used a little patience and there was no issues for either them or the GT3 cars. Either ballast added or points lost.

Congrats to the winners of both classes.
--- A quitter never races and a Racer never quits. ---

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 10:41:54 PM »
Race results are up....
I'll update with more info...
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 10:55:55 PM »
I fear this season is going to be one full of polemics. The speed difference between classes is huge and I do not think I am personally good enough for that. I could handle it decently well for the first 30 minutes or so, but then it was quite chaos. Until the chaos, it was actually a really good race with kcender, though with hindsight I should have bet on him getting a lots of PLP penalties and let him go ;)

Well, good job Matthew. You were the only one of the LMP pack to keep your head cool. I guess in endurance races that's 50% of the job.

Re: shameless. As I said, I am really sorry I shouted at you. Did not mean anything personal. If you watch the reply, you can understand why on the moment I was baffled: after kcender passes you on the right, you keep moving to the left for apparently no reason until the road's margin, sending me on the grass. I perfectly understand you had no clear knowledge I was there and just wanted to create space. In any case this does not justify me shouting at you. So: sorry, really.

PS: I believe Gratulin is innocent ;)

Offline rexology

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 11:01:55 PM »
Thanks Wally as I really enjoyed my first League race and first rolling start.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 11:05:03 PM »
Learnt a few things tonight.  Firstly don't crash on lap one as that really sucks.  Two, use soft tyres as they are quicker and three, don't start with full fuel . . . you have time to refill.!!
Aside from that, I didn't put a wheel wrong during the rest of the race.  The LMP1's were pretty controlled with their passes although I did have a weird moment with Mael.  He went up the inside under brakes and as I braked a bit deeper down the outside of his car it  suddenly shot forward and spun him despite their being no actual contact!  Weird.
Anyway it can only get better from here... :)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 11:11:05 PM »
My Audi felt rock solid and consistent, very easy to drive.

My start was OK, missing the Bacchulum crash, and soon settling into a rythm chasing Mael closely. His car was warping about quite a bit, which was offputting. I was thinking he was going to warp into me at any moment. We had one interesting moment when we both caught up to Shameless and both tried to apply boost at the same time to pass. I was in front so came out OK, but it looked like Mael ended up going off the track and possibly hitting the wall. Soon after that Mael seemed to drop off the radar, and I ended up circulating between Diehard and Seanus, never really seeing either of them but passing lots of GT3s. I don't know if I'll ever be able to keep with the likes of Grat, Kcender, Matthew and Diehard, but we'll see.

I found the GT3s pretty easy to pass provided I was patient and sucked up a bit of what seemed like "snail pace" driving until I had a good stretch of clear track to pass on. What worked best for me was when the GT3 drivers just stuck to their predictable race line, as I knew after so many laps where all the good passing spots were.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 11:12:09 PM »
Thanks Wally as I really enjoyed my first League race and first rolling start.
Good to hear. You're off to a good start in the standings :)

Offline kcender87

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 11:15:42 PM »
Enjoyed that - once everyone gets used to the speed differentials it should be great - stress of battling after an hour on old tyres while trying not to lose Grat who has a billion hp on the straights while overcoming traffic takes some focus but is damn good fun - if only I had have read my own abbreviations correctly I would have added 15 L(aps) of fuel not 15 L(itres) and would have overcome all those PLP penalties :P Surely its still track until its wall and/or grandstand right.....? :P

On that - what is the sign I should be getting and where would it be in VR (I have to look around even for flags :P) to tell me im cutting?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 11:38:45 PM »
...overcome all those PLP penalties :P Surely its still track until its wall and/or grandstand right.....? :P

On that - what is the sign I should be getting and where would it be in VR (I have to look around even for flags :P ) to tell me im cutting?
The warnings come up within the actual PLP app and you also see a flag icon near the top of the screen. I have no idea how that translates to VR. You should see text within the app itself such as "warnings: 1/3" in VR, right? It might depend on where you actually position the app.

Offline Shayne

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 11:39:01 PM »
On that - what is the sign I should be getting and where would it be in VR (I have to look around even for flags :P) to tell me im cutting?

There's a 0/3 Warning thingy that you can place where ever you want, there's also a red dot thing that appears if you've gone off track. If you enter back onto the track whilst that red dot is still showing then you'll get a warning. On the 4th warning you get the penalty then it starts again.

If you look through the PLP forum topic, wally has listed some updates implemented throughout the versions. One of the big things you need to understand about it, is that once you go offtrack, you won't get a warning straight away, you'll get it once you come back on a racing surface without slowing down. So make sure you slow down enough before entering back onto the track to avoid warning for little offtracks.

The problem with Silverstone, is that there's some corners where there's a bit of grass and then further offtrack is more tarmac that the app considers to be racing track. I got a couple warning tonight for missing a corner and not getting the chance to slow down because a split second later I'm back on a racing surface.

I also run with VR, and I have the warning thing sitting kinda of on the bonnet, so it's very clear when that red dot pops up I know I need to slow down before re-entering.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 11:40:51 PM »
...and just for fun, I assigned everyone to a team, a pair of drivers usually in the same make of car, which you can see in the standings.

For the new guys, it's just for a bit of fun. You can ignore it, or you can share setup tips, or at least try not to crash into your teammate :)

Offline Shameless_1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 11:44:29 PM »
I fear this season is going to be one full of polemics. The speed difference between classes is huge and I do not think I am personally good enough for that. I could handle it decently well for the first 30 minutes or so, but then it was quite chaos. Until the chaos, it was actually a really good race with kcender, though with hindsight I should have bet on him getting a lots of PLP penalties and let him go ;)

Well, good job Matthew. You were the only one of the LMP pack to keep your head cool. I guess in endurance races that's 50% of the job.

Re: shameless. As I said, I am really sorry I shouted at you. Did not mean anything personal. If you watch the reply, you can understand why on the moment I was baffled: after kcender passes you on the right, you keep moving to the left for apparently no reason until the road's margin, sending me on the grass. I perfectly understand you had no clear knowledge I was there and just wanted to create space. In any case this does not justify me shouting at you. So: sorry, really.

PS: I believe Gratulin is innocent ;)

It wasn't taken personally Gratulin, my car was damaged and wanted to go left on its own, I was struggling to give Kcender room and keep my car turning steadily, but as you were in my blind spot I thought you were following him so i kept to the left as much as I could until I saw you in my mirror. I was annoyed at you for the othe incident where I ended up in the wall in the middle of a battle for position with Rob though :P
--- A quitter never races and a Racer never quits. ---

Offline Shayne

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 11:50:44 PM »
This might blow your mind, but Grat and Gratulin are two different people.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal