Xtreme Gaming Network

S19R6: Shanghai Race Chat

Author Topic: S19R6: Shanghai Race Chat  (Read 21623 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: S19R6: Shanghai Race Chat
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2017, 10:19:56 PM »
I think nominating a top speed rather than 2nd gear would be more specific as to what needs to happen!
And keeping that speed down say 80Km/h should reduce the lag front front to rear of the field.
I think it's easier to stay in 2nd gear. It acts as a natural speed limiter, and you don't have to watch your speed at all. You can just do it by ear and keep your eyes on the cars around you. Experience shows it's not so easy to stick to a nominated speed on a formation lap.

Problem is no one is doing that Wally. I was in 5th trying to catch the gt3s in front on the straight after coming out of the chicane..

That's why I've reiterated the rule.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 12:14:03 AM »
What do you think about if Wally sets a spot during warm-up lap, maybe 3/4 or 2/3 where we have to shift down to gear 1 (which probably goes up to 90-100km/h with the GT3's anyway) and get into start formation and strictly adhere to it for the rest of the warm-up lap?
That may give everyone the time to catch up. Then accelerating & up-shifting after crossing start-finish line...and that for each car individually.
Just an idea...

Offline Shameless_1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2017, 02:34:32 AM »
What do you think about if Wally sets a spot during warm-up lap, maybe 3/4 or 2/3 where we have to shift down to gear 1 (which probably goes up to 90-100km/h with the GT3's anyway) and get into start formation and strictly adhere to it for the rest of the warm-up lap?
That may give everyone the time to catch up. Then accelerating & up-shifting after crossing start-finish line...and that for each car individually.
Just an idea...

The rule is simple and it's not being followed, doing that will only complicate things further..
--- A quitter never races and a Racer never quits. ---

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2017, 07:26:32 AM »
Yes, the rule is very simple. The problem we have is that you can go 30k's in second gear and you can do 160.
Forcing the field into formation earlier and at a lower speed would probably help...and I don't think it would be complicated at all.
The problem we have is that everyone accelerates at different points in time. The leader gets onto start finish straight, maybe at a lower speed for the field to catch up, one guy in row 3 hits the gas pedal earlier and comes with so much momentum that he gets into turn one first...and , of course, he most likely doesn't even do it deliberately.
The faster you go, the later you get into formation and the less practise...the more complaints and discussions here.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2017, 08:03:32 AM »
Forming up early is a good idea, but I'm wary of trying to negotiate too many corners two abreast. A good spot here at Shanghai is just after the second last corner - the tight right hander. That leaves a fairly wide left hander before the straight. I reckon we should form up after that penultimate corner.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2017, 11:33:23 AM »
Yes, the rule is very simple. The problem we have is that you can go 30k's in second gear and you can do 160.
Forcing the field into formation earlier and at a lower speed would probably help...and I don't think it would be complicated at all.
The problem we have is that everyone accelerates at different points in time. The leader gets onto start finish straight, maybe at a lower speed for the field to catch up, one guy in row 3 hits the gas pedal earlier and comes with so much momentum that he gets into turn one first...and , of course, he most likely doesn't even do it deliberately.
The faster you go, the later you get into formation and the less practise...the more complaints and discussions here.
I reckon last week I was just speeding up to get into position as the Go Go Go was called and I powered on and flew past 3 cars......
Not intentional, just the way it worked out.  I actually lifted a bit at first as others weren't going as quick.....

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2017, 12:30:01 PM »
I reckon last week I was just speeding up to get into position as the Go Go Go was called and I powered on and flew past 3 cars......
Not intentional, just the way it worked out.  I actually lifted a bit at first as others weren't going as quick.....
That's where the problem occurs for the back of the field. When you were able to accelerate at the GOGOGO I still hadn't rounded the last turn. So I am already car lengths behind before I pass the start finish line.

Offline Shameless_1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2017, 04:41:48 AM »
I still think speed should be limited rather than gear.. 80km max speed, if people can't follow that, they shouldn't be racing.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2017, 11:11:53 AM »
I still think speed should be limited rather than gear.. 80km max speed, if people can't follow that, they shouldn't be racing.
It's not open for discussion - to avoid confusion the rule is clear - stay in 2nd gear.

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2017, 01:14:04 PM »
Here a nice and tidy rolling start...and, watch what happened then :-)

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2017, 01:19:42 PM »
I wondered how long it would take for that clip to show up. ;D ;D 8)

2+2=√16

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2017, 01:33:04 PM »
Forming up early is a good idea, but I'm wary of trying to negotiate too many corners two abreast. A good spot here at Shanghai is just after the second last corner - the tight right hander. That leaves a fairly wide left hander before the straight. I reckon we should form up after that penultimate corner.

Yes, Wally. I think the key is forming up early. Going side by side through turns automatically slows the leaders down and produces a more compact starter field.
Larger gaps between rows disadvantage the guys at the back and they can be used to build up momentum before crossing start-finish line which can spoil the efforts the guys in front put into their qualifying.
I don't know what rules the guys in the GT World Cup have in place which produces such a compact starter field, but it seems to work.

Offline rexology

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2017, 07:00:34 PM »
Here a nice and tidy rolling start...and, watch what happened then :-)

Macau is just a rubbish track.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2017, 09:20:01 PM »
Tricky tack this. Especially T1. Is a challenge to get the right line through the long turns and get the best exit onto the straights. Add into the mix LMPs with heaps of grip overtaking on said turns will make it interesting  ;D

Offline Shameless_1

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2017, 10:42:29 PM »
It's not open for discussion - to avoid confusion the rule is clear - stay in 2nd gear.

good then I expect everyone who is in a higher gear than 2nd to be given a first lap penalty ... otherwise those following this rule while the others speed off are at a massive disadvantage by being left behind at start of the race.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal