Xtreme Gaming Network

System upgrade - 8700k & mobo

Author Topic: System upgrade - 8700k & mobo  (Read 45754 times)

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
Re: System upgrade - 8700k & mobo
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2018, 12:21:48 AM »
that's bloody annoying
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2018, 07:26:13 AM »
it was all going so well... got new drivers etc installed ran tomb raider benchmark on highest settings and average 80fps which is double what my old system did then boom it turned off. wont turn back on again. light on the mobo come on but wont power up... took my old psu and connected it to the mobo only it tried to boot. new psu plugged back in and nothing.. think the new psu just died after about 30 mins use
Ouch.   My condolences.  Would you share what PSU was it?

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2018, 07:40:50 AM »
it was all going so well... got new drivers etc installed ran tomb raider benchmark on highest settings and average 80fps which is double what my old system did then boom it turned off. wont turn back on again. light on the mobo come on but wont power up... took my old psu and connected it to the mobo only it tried to boot. new psu plugged back in and nothing.. think the new psu just died after about 30 mins use

its a be quiet power 10. the old one is a power 8 so I'll put that in later and contact pccg about a return.

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2018, 07:50:23 AM »
Ouch all right...what is the new psu, and if you fully connect the old one does the system work or has it taken the mobo with it?

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2018, 08:13:46 AM »
Not good Joe, but in Electronic Component reliability terms its called "infant mortality", where if something is going to fail it will be within the first few hours of use, which is why I never pay for extended warranties. A PC power supply is a  "switching power supply design" which places a lot of stress on the components.
social media is the tobacco of this century

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2018, 08:47:10 AM »
just put the old psu back in and we're all up and running. brand new psu that lasted less than an hour... have put in a return claim on pccg

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2018, 09:26:41 AM »
just put the old psu back in and we're all up and running. brand new psu that lasted less than an hour... have put in a return claim on pccg
Lucky system components weren't taken out with it, what's the psu?

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2018, 09:35:39 AM »

be quiet pure power 10. the old one is a pure power 8 and still going strong so just unlucky I guess

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2018, 10:22:57 AM »

be quiet pure power 10. the old one is a pure power 8 and still going strong so just unlucky I guess
Bummer, it happens sometimes, had a brand new asus mobo not boot once before

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2018, 12:08:37 PM »
I think when you upgrade to 10, win 10 allocates a new key, so if the 8 key don't work try a key finder, none of this will be necessary if it doesn't ask you to reactivate but for me it did with a mobo upgrade

Annoying you're right I need to active windows. My Win8 key doesn't work so I downloaded the jelly bean key finder and it shows a Win10 Enterprise key, but my activation screen says Win10 Pro and the key doesn't work :\

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2018, 12:17:07 PM »
I think when you upgrade to 10, win 10 allocates a new key, so if the 8 key don't work try a key finder, none of this will be necessary if it doesn't ask you to reactivate but for me it did with a mobo upgrade

Annoying you're right I need to active windows. My Win8 key doesn't work so I downloaded the jelly bean key finder and it shows a Win10 Enterprise key, but my activation screen says Win10 Pro and the key doesn't work :\
Might need to go through the Microsoft support system phone or chat, I've had to do that with one system before, just say you replaced the old mobo which died or whatever. Or try adding a Microsoft account to your login, I haven't had any problems since doing that

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2018, 12:33:53 PM »

Might need to go through the Microsoft support system phone or chat, I've had to do that with one system before, just say you replaced the old mobo which died or whatever. Or try adding a Microsoft account to your login, I haven't had any problems since doing that

yeah I think maybe when I put the win 8 key in it changed it to pro. i found an enterprise product I'd online which change it to say enterprise then when I went through the 'I changed hardware' wizard it said activation servers were down so will try again in a bit

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2018, 01:53:50 PM »
I went straight for a 5Ghz overclock at 3v and ran the AIDA64 stress test for 15 mins and no drops in core speeds and averaged 72 degrees on the CPU which doesn't seem too bad. I did connect my radiator fans to the fan controller which I'm now thinking as wrong, and they should be on the CPU headers so will change that and try the test again and see if it runs any cooler

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2018, 03:34:31 PM »
Cool... 1.3v? Use hwinfo64 to check. Stress testing should be a bit longer, couple hours for stability testing but ok for preliminary checks. Which fan headers you use don't really matter, only that if you don't connect one to cpu header the bios may flag no fan reading. Make sure though that pwm fans are connected to 4pin pwm headers and pwm is enabled in bios for those headers, some default to dc voltage control. Asus bios usually has a fan expert thing that runs your fans up then down to find min and max speeds. I think most can do 5ghz so you should be good, I tried 5.1 a couple weeks ago but I think it's gonna need quit a bit more vcore to be fully stable, so I've left it 5.
If you have a Microshaft account sign into it and it might sort out the activation, you can always remove the account if you don't want it on the pc

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2018, 03:50:51 PM »
I've put the kraken on the water pump header and put the two fans on the rad into the CPU fan headers now instead of the fan controller and it is running cooler.

I set 1.3v on the core but I can see it fluctuating a bit so must be a setting somewhere doing that.  I followed a tutorial that should have made it consistent

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal