Xtreme Gaming Network

Krahl's Dedi Server is up

Author Topic: Krahl's Dedi Server is up  (Read 36912 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Krahl's Dedi Server is up
« on: October 23, 2014, 11:39:57 PM »
I've configured Krahl's dedicated server, which he has kindly given me access to for experimenting, to be in a Lotus @ Nurb Sprint configuration - 15 cars only. It's a pickup server, called AUS www.xgn.com.au TUE DEDI.

I want to see if we get the same warping that we see on the regular server. So when you can, jump on that server, hopefully with a few guys, and see what the warping is like, and how it compares with Tuesday nights. It would be good if we can get Grubbet, EdWood and anyone else who often seems to warp quite a bit.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: Krahl's Dedi Server is up
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 07:44:24 AM »
Worth a test but it seems the few that get warping regularly have issues with their own connections. Its the same guys that get warping on my server but its pretty solid for nearly everyone else.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 08:08:34 AM »
Yeah, I want to try changing a few variables like getting away from a cloud host. I've been reading that cloud based virtual servers, while having a pretty good maximum performance, can fluctuate quite a lot in terms of things like bandwidth. But then you'd think it would affect everyone at once. But it's certainly worth trying a different kind of host.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 09:16:18 AM »
Let's get the regularly warping guys together! 

Btw; it's unlikely to be a dedicated server for this purpose only - most likely a server running a large number of things, among them AC instances. 
It could be a VPS, then it's even more fractured.

A proper dedi server hosting starts in the few hunded $$$'s / month on Australian soil - you need to sell quite a few AC instances on it to make a buck.  Even the cheapest colocation options start at around $100 + bandwidth.  And you need some older unused hardware lying around to be able to use it.  (this is in a proper data centre - if it's hosted in someone's home on an NBN connection, it can be infinitely cheaper, but...)

If you consider this, the performance is really a gamble.  How many people use it, what they use it for, how much did they oversell the server's capacity, the bandwidth...?

This is just an FYI, it can still work well, don't get me wrong :)

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 09:35:36 AM »
Thats why I think it most likely is client side connection unless it effects everyone on the server but only one way to find out. We will need to try get a few on that server maybe even make it public to try fill it up and give it a proper test.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 09:38:54 AM »
Agree with both of you.

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 09:43:29 AM »
it's a great test just to check that one variable.
process of elimination. scientific approach.
You guys can hypothesis all you like. tests are underway. your arguments will have to wait a few days.

Thanks Mr Krahl for the use of your paid for server.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 09:44:50 AM »
I am up for a test on it tonight if anyone else feels like it
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 09:45:16 AM »
yeah need to fill it. Can we throw a fun race sunday or something? F40s hotwheels? i've got heaps of skins...

Would be better with xgn guys, to take out the long distance pings..

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 09:47:51 AM »
if its successful I am happy to make the server larger
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 10:42:06 AM »
I'll be on tonight.  Abarth 500 S1 and the Alfa sound like fun :)

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 10:52:08 AM »
I'll be on tonight.  Abarth 500 S1 and the Alfa sound like fun :)

i'll work on some skins..

Offline cramjet

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 10:59:01 AM »
I am 99% sure my warping issues are to do with either the line to my house or my shitty router. I have no issues when nobody else is using the net - it's quite good actually. As soon as my partner fires up Chrome my ping jumps - the more traffic the more jumping/warping I get.

I used to keep the 'net monitor' open so I could see when my ping spiked and avoid any accidents but they seem to have removed that app...  >:(

Same goes for other games/general internet usage. If more than one person is on it gets crippled.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 11:20:16 AM »

I am 99% sure my warping issues are to do with either the line to my house or my shitty router. I have no issues when nobody else is using the net - it's quite good actually. As soon as my partner fires up Chrome my ping jumps - the more traffic the more jumping/warping I get.

I used to keep the 'net monitor' open so I could see when my ping spiked and avoid any accidents but they seem to have removed that app...  >:(

Same goes for other games/general internet usage. If more than one person is on it gets crippled.
Cramjet, if you have access to your router you should be able to set QoS on for the AC protocols. Since AC doesn't use much bandwidth but requires a low ping that might mitigate the impact of others on your network. Also, double check that you are not "double NATing" ie do you also have a hardware firewall between the telco router and your LAN. I have turned my Optus cable modem into Bridge mode to avoid that problem and because it too was a shitty router.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 11:24:57 AM »

I've configured Krahl's dedicated server, which he has kindly given me access to for experimenting, to be in a Lotus @ Nurb Sprint configuration - 15 cars only. It's a pickup server, called AUS www.xgn.com.au TUE DEDI.

I want to see if we get the same warping that we see on the regular server. So when you can, jump on that server, hopefully with a few guys, and see what the warping is like, and how it compares with Tuesday nights. It would be good if we can get Grubbet, EdWood and anyone else who often seems to warp quite a bit.
Wally, could we have some fun with the LaFerrari on the trial server?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal