Xtreme Gaming Network

Season 4 Round 3 - Gentrack1 - Race Chat

Author Topic: Season 4 Round 3 - Gentrack1 - Race Chat  (Read 34186 times)

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
Re: Season 4 Round 3 - Gentrack1 - Race Chat
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2015, 12:44:21 PM »
I don't care if the hospital burns down, all the toilets block, all the lights go out and the ACs stop working. I'm going home early.
pretty much giving the rest of this week's earnings to the tax man. I hate that guy.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2015, 01:08:11 PM »
I'd take the bottom left hotwheels slom - but everyone needs to d/l the skin and that's unlikely to happen halfway into the season...or is it?

Other problem is the server is being run as non booked password so skins are random as you join. Only way to assign a skin is by prebooking the server, also admin needs to fiddle with all guid's then reset server if someone wants to enter late. Not sure if Gratulin is up for that and I am doing a rain dance to try and get a washout at tennis so I can join the race. Been fun in these cars so far shame its on a nite a cant make most weeks.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
Season 4 Round 3 - Gentrack1 - Race Chat
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2015, 01:13:31 PM »
I'd like to experiment with a new rule for tonight's racing. Similar to the V8Supercars where they must give driving room. Hopefully this will improve overtaking and reduce accidents.

Rule: The lead car must allow sufficient room for the following car when that car is attempting to overtake. The following car does not require "overlap" in order to expect to be left sufficient driving room. Driving room is defined as sufficient space for the following car to overtake (if it can) while keeping 2 wheels within the track limits.
In order to stop "dive bombing" the following car must also allow driving room for the lead car especially on corner exit.
This rule will not be enforced since Thursday's are for fun. However, keeping this rule in mind will possible increase the overtaking opportunities and therefore the fun factor.

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2015, 01:21:27 PM »
I'd like to experiment with a new rule for tonight's racing. Similar to the V8Supercars where they must give driving room. Hopefully this will improve overtaking and reduce accidents.

Are you are talking about Australian V8 supercars Gratulin?? I don't think that rule is real!! lol I have never seen ANY V8 supercar give a millimeter of track. It's what makes them worth watching.

A V8 supercar that finishes a race with both wing mirrors and straight panels has been parked in the pits whole race.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2015, 01:23:20 PM »
Ooooh...trusting the guy in front to give you room in the corner for an overtake, now that's what I call real trust! :)

I'd really leave it up with "any overlap", because that can easily be checked with the (now installed and magnificent) helicorsa.  I really wish I had this earlier.  I thought I didn't need it, but it's just great.

Defining it as you do, leaves a lot to interpretation..."oh sure I've left enough room for 2 wheels in that corner..."  ;)

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2015, 01:32:21 PM »
"Any overlap" is a good idea especially if everyone is using Helicorsa as the indicator.

Driving room is more difficult to define I know - perhaps just leave it as "a car width including mirrors" :)

Dick, V8 are aggressive and do bump and crash a lot but they do leave room and are penalized if they shut the door on an overtaking car.

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2015, 01:53:02 PM »
"Any overlap" is a good idea especially if everyone is using Helicorsa as the indicator.

Driving room is more difficult to define I know - perhaps just leave it as "a car width including mirrors" :)

Dick, V8 are aggressive and do bump and crash a lot but they do leave room and are penalized if they shut the door on an overtaking car.

Very agressive and also very smart. They get 3 chances before a drive through. so that means they can get away with it twice.
Especially cutting curbs. If you don't get 2 strikes against you in a race you're not playing the rules to your advantage.

I'll have to check out the helli app. So I know when to dive in front of Marty.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2015, 01:59:58 PM »
I'll have to check out the helli app. So I know when to dive in front of Marty.
A friendly warning: I've tried that, it didn't work out well :D

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2015, 02:51:43 PM »
Applying the brakes immediately after diving in front is the preferred method :))

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2015, 02:58:19 PM »
Applying the brakes immediately after diving in front is the preferred method :))

I try this often. I'm usually laughing too hard. Or filled with childish excitement and only wreck my own car.
I can't even crash without choking!

Offline eazycompany

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2015, 04:26:33 PM »
I haven't spent a lot of time racing real people, mostly AI over the years, so I tend to be aggressive. We all know that game AI punt you at the slightest touch yet seem unmovable themselves. I've been practicing this during the week so I will be  better behaved this round I promise.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2015, 04:52:47 PM »
So you will become even eazier company, from here on? :D

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2015, 05:23:38 PM »

I have heard Bird is a big fan of this tactic via TS communications.

Any overlap is a good rule for fun runs the more general rule in v8 is too open to mis interpretation as I think is the b pillar or other such rules. If you see there is overlap just give others racing room which is what I try to do always.

Generally works well but at times you can be borderline and get into someones blindspot. Happened between me and Bird one race, I did give Gratulin a good look at the side of my car last round but he let the golden opportunity slide bye.

Especially the reverse grid races Ive spent quite a lot of time side by side with others. It does slow the pace a little but good fun.

At gentrack the tricky thing is getting inside on most of those early corners you also would need to slow quite a bit if you need to leave room for another car inside or out and this is what catches most out. Its not just leaving the room on entry but making sure you leave space all through the corner.

Ive used helicorsa a bit the last week and the best thing is I can close the door a bit more when I know Im clear. Before I tended to give touch room but with this app I just give as much as I need and not much more.  ;)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2015, 06:13:49 PM »
At what point do you decide you have to leave racing room though? It would surely only be once the following car is far enough up the inside, i.e. up to the B pillar?
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2015, 06:23:45 PM »
At what point do you decide you have to leave racing room though? It would surely only be once the following car is far enough up the inside, i.e. up to the B pillar?
The experiment I was (am?) suggesting is to try modifying the rule to make it easier for the following car to overtake. Therefore, rather than B-pillar we could try any overlap as per helicorsa. Also, make the lead car aware that they are also responsible for not cutting across the following car too much.

This is just for the fun run. We are having some excellent side-by-side racing at the moment so thought it was worthwhile encouraging that a bit further.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal