Xtreme Gaming Network

XGN Track Day - a real one!

Author Topic: XGN Track Day - a real one!  (Read 10675 times)

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
XGN Track Day - a real one!
« on: May 14, 2015, 09:13:39 AM »
Hello friends, associates and sworn enemies.

Wondering if anyone would be up for a "real life" track day?  Such as a Formula Ford or V8 Supercar run.

Not sure where - I guess the best venue + where most people that will attend are happy to go.  I personally would love an excuse to fly up north or west.

Marty and I were discussing this on TS Tuesday night and thought it would be a good chance to meet everyone and to see how well real life simulates Assetto Corsa (I've heard the cars IRL are too understeery), have a bit of fun, etc. etc.  Could do it over the course of a weekend - get there Saturday, meet and greet, do a few laps, possibly go out for dinner and a few drinks, then come back on the Sunday.  Or whatever would work.

Just canvassing interest in this, so let me know what you think?

Cheers.

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
Re: XGN Track Day - a real one!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 11:04:05 AM »
Guybrush, this is a great idea and would dearly like to meet our fellow racers (and have fun on track).
Will put some thought into this,  :)
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 11:52:29 AM »
Sounds like fun. Also bloody expensive. for us WA mob.

You are all from the Internet though. Bad place the Internet.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 11:58:18 AM »
If you want to see how ac replicates real life flying north is the best bet. Only pcars has weather like we do, I suggest a trip to the nords and get some cars from rsr nurburg then head to Spa for a day or 2.

Maybe more realistic is something in sydney probably eastern creek as its more central to all but we could even just try to do a few in each city.

I dont know exactly how many of us are in which cities here but I think more are from NSW and QLD.

Dick is in WA but I think hes barred from travel after his last incident with the male hostess. He will need to give the rest of the details as Ive said more then enuogh already and thats written way beyond Dicks attention span. After the second line you can call him what you like as he cant read that far, his mum isnt always around to read for him and 2 lines take half a day on his own. Not sure if others noticed but he learned a new word the other day "ballast" he seems to throw it in every post these days so he doesnt know what it means. Just go along with him as we dont want to get him angry again ;)

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 12:12:03 PM »
Mary said something about Qld. I thought we where going to keep it in Australia at least.
I will need to talk to my parole officer to see if i can get my day pass to extend to other countries.

Besides, i know I'm not welcome in Qld, i ride a motorcycle, have tattoos and a beard. I also think I've got more than 3 friends..
instant arrest on arrival.

Offline StanDaam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 12:45:52 PM »

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 02:05:13 PM »
Actually, I seem to remember Wally saying he wasn't allowed to drive the Formula Fords because of his height.

I'm 6'4.  But if I shrug my shoulders, arch my back and slink my neck back into it's socket I reckon I can get under 6 foot.  I mean that's how I drive in AC anyway.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 02:51:09 PM »
Im 6ft and didnt have those issues but can see how it would be a problem for you taller buggers. Open wheelers dont have lots of space I wonder if the rule is because the legs would be too cramped or the head would be above the roll hoop.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 03:19:01 PM »
Pretty sure Wally said it was because his head was above the roll hoop.   Mine can't get much worse so it shouldn't be too much of a concern.

Offline Dick Forrest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 03:19:09 PM »
Don't you need track experience to drive formula whatever?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 03:34:56 PM »
Actually, I seem to remember Wally saying he wasn't allowed to drive the Formula Fords because of his height.

I'm 6'4.  But if I shrug my shoulders, arch my back and slink my neck back into it's socket I reckon I can get under 6 foot.  I mean that's how I drive in AC anyway.
Yeah, at 6'4 FF's were a no go for me. And I only just fit into a V8. My helmet was touching the roll cage.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 03:36:29 PM »
And yes , it was because head protrudes above the roll hoop, even just a little.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 03:42:31 PM »
Don't you need track experience to drive formula whatever?

We all have track experience.  I've driven exotics and formula cars on some of the most famous race tracks all over the world.

OK, maybe we should just meet at a pub and play Daytona all night.  Compression lock-up into the only corner you had to slow down for was the secret.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2015, 03:43:12 PM »
XGN - Xtreme Giant Network?

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2015, 03:56:07 PM »
I see many of you are into sims not due to the costs of real racing but you cant fit in a real car.

Even a kart nite would be fun but in that case the shortest and skinniest has the least amount of ballast. Not sure if the tall guys would be the highest handicap as there may be others around that cant fit due to width issues.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal