Xtreme Gaming Network

AC News

Author Topic: AC News  (Read 763323 times)

Offline grat

• View Profile
Re: AC News
« Reply #1275 on: January 21, 2017, 02:14:47 PM »
The way I see it: this was obviously coming, but it does not mean much for now.

Why coming? Because Marco and Stefano do not have the pockets to take the risk associated with a company growing at this rate. So they needed to sell at least part of it and cash something away. They seem to have got a decent deal: they got paid 4m, of which probably something like 2m are in shares of the father company. They will be minority holders of DB, but with perhaps enough power to keep an eye on Kunos. Of course I am sure the contract demands that they remain in their current positions for at least a pair of years. After which, they might progressively dismiss their position in DB and get on with their life if they want.

Why it does not change much for now? For the next 2 years or so, it is very unlikely that anything in the management at Kunos will change at all---either persons or ideas. If Db is making this investment, of course is because they agreed with Stefano and Marco on at least a rough plan of what to do with the new capital available. Most likely, the easiest way to get an immediate return for DB is to make a new game in the same genre, BUT (and this is an important but) it might be an AC2 or a console game. This we can't know, but surely does not depend on the acquisition---even Stefano spoke openly about the fact that they needed to think of something creating some more conspicuous returns soon, and a game might have been the case. BUT there is also a completely different possibility: Kunos might specialize in the simulators for car companies and racing teams, which has been one of the big money-making field for them in these years. In this case, they might just wish to release an AC2 taking some experience out of that business, to keep their visibility up. Again: I do not see any of this to be a consequence of the acquisition.

What about after 2 years or so? Well, that is a completely different question. But we couldn't expect Kunos to grow like their were and remain an independent small all-in-house developer. Could we? You need some capital from somewhere.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: January 21, 2017, 02:35:21 PM »
All I want to know is....

Does this mean they can afford rain now?

8) 8)

2+2=√16

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: January 21, 2017, 03:49:19 PM »
All I want to know is....

Does this mean they can afford rain now?

8) 8)

If there is an AC2 Im sure they will buy lots of rain, maybe do a full 180 and have it as a night and rain only sim. They will spend the money for the rains and extra light sources so they will want to use it everywhere lol.

Then you will see the forums spammed by the good weather simmers demanding dry sunny tracks.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: January 21, 2017, 03:53:52 PM »
LOL

2+2=√16

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: January 21, 2017, 05:24:22 PM »
I've seen it all before.

Small company sells to bigger company.  Bigger company wants money - after all they shelled out a fortune for an overvalued small company.  Bigger company forces it's new acquisition to make money quickly.

There is no way a company like Digital Bros. will allow the kind of development time frames that Kunos/AC has had previously.

It could be a good thing though as it might mean a game that is targeted at a wider audience and includes some of the niceties we'd all like.  But if they are looking at AC2 or a major overhaul of the physics, or something that isn't going to have an immediate selling point, then I doubt we will see the same level of detail we have up until now.

Maybe.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: January 21, 2017, 06:06:31 PM »
I can't see the physics changing overly much.
After all, that's what you pay for with AC, that's what it's renowned for. 8)

It might be a slash and burn profit decision, but I think pCars or rFactor would be more suited to that.

2+2=√16

Offline AJ

• View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: January 21, 2017, 08:09:20 PM »
Noting the argument Lord Kunos had recently with Fredrik Sorlie over some basic questions about tyre physics, I can't see him letting these guys push him around on anything  ;D

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: January 21, 2017, 10:16:49 PM »
yeah that is pretty messed up , lord Kunos is going power crazy or his money lust has made him delusional or something, sorta worried about AC and wish there was an alternative, that was more polished,  cause sorta losing interest in AC ,all we get is new cars, which i wouldn't have driven 80% of and the odd track.

I read somewhere assetto corsa is what you get when you surround yourself with yes men who agree to everything you say and I agree
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: January 22, 2017, 04:49:09 PM »
yeah that is pretty messed up , lord Kunos is going power crazy or his money lust has made him delusional or something, sorta worried about AC and wish there was an alternative, that was more polished,  cause sorta losing interest in AC ,all we get is new cars, which i wouldn't have driven 80% of and the odd track.

I read somewhere assetto corsa is what you get when you surround yourself with yes men who agree to everything you say and I agree
Yes Phil...

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: January 22, 2017, 04:53:45 PM »

Yes Phil...
Yes Phil
social media is the tobacco of this century

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #1285 on: January 23, 2017, 07:59:08 AM »
hahaha, we are very like minded!  ;D
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: January 23, 2017, 09:31:08 AM »
Don t stop, I see why lord Kunos likes it, very satisfying and empowering :) 
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: January 23, 2017, 09:34:35 AM »
@Phil: I completely agree Stefano showed again and again that he lacks any sort of diplomatic skills and only seems to be able to deal with "yes men." That said, I think you are a hit harsh with the game development. In general, albeit with a bad character, Kunos has been responding to most requests and criticisms. I do not care much about porsches (though the old racing cars are really nice). But judging by the reactions, it seems a lot of people wanted them a lot, so I perfectly understand Kunos focusing on that. I'd love more tracks, but their marketing strategy did (might change) not seem to support the kind of revenues they'd need to increase the rhythm at which they produce them. And yes, there are a few things online racers like us would like to see, but then again you can't sell a product at these mass-selling prices and target it to what is no doubt a niche market.

As for the money crazy: I find it absolutely normal that a 40 years old man who has been working on a small-capital new venture for what? 7 years? decides to cash  the fruit of their work. I do not know how you guys do, but I can't say I work for passion alone, so why should I expect anybody else to do so?

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: January 23, 2017, 04:00:55 PM »
What's crazy is that they gave away 100% for 4.5mil.  That seems under-priced.  Also weird to sell out 100%.

Otherwise, it maybe for the better if Stefano isn't involved in direct customer relations - he has managed to mess it up a couple of times. 
Also remember nkp (a lot of us do, right?).  How he left the whole thing after the negative feedback, only came back for a few fixes a half year or so later.  He's not cut out for this, I'd say.

But he's a brilliant sim developer.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 08:05:07 PM by Bird »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: January 23, 2017, 04:16:18 PM »
I agree. A bright guy, but no people skills. Keep him in the back room coding!
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal