Xtreme Gaming Network

S14R5: Paul Ricard Post-Race Chat

Author Topic: S14R5: Paul Ricard Post-Race Chat  (Read 16478 times)

Offline grat

• View Profile
Re: S14R5: Paul Ricard Post-Race Chat
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2016, 08:26:54 AM »
so I run 27 laps and get the same amount of points as someone who left the race?
I think I got a point for the pole...

to be completely honest, you only run 26 laps, though ;)

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2016, 08:29:06 AM »
so I run 27 laps and get the same amount of points as someone who left the race?

The point was for pole position.  ;)

Had Grat stayed in the race he would likely still be leading the championship as I am only 21 points ahead so a mid field finish would have been close to that.

So I thought I could remedy by reversing my fuel and change tyres by hitting "ESC", but I forgot the stupid pit box penalty Kunos added (I find that thing the worst thing ever happened to this game) and at that point the total sum of my misfortunes was more than 2 minutes and, frankly, I was just too sad.

That time penalty for escaping is to stop people from getting an advantage in pits by pressing escape and doing repairs, adding fuel and changing tyres instantly by escaping them resuming. In your case youn would also have lost a lap as you hadnt crossed the line at your box. In a practoce race its more annoying for those that are still making changes but then thats why the prac server also has a 60 min practice session.

In the past someone could have just crossed the line pressed escape and got going again without needing a pit stop. I think this penalty is actually a good thing and would prefer an option to not resume after escaping by server setting. In our case however the way it is disables this and even though I know people wouldnt exploit that for an advantage it could be done by accident. In your case had your pit box been across the line and there was no time penalty. Even over driving the pit box reversing back and messing up it would likely have been much quicker then a normal tyre stop and been a big net gain even though you would have done it to try avoid making an error adding fuel on the tyre stop not to try and get a gain.

Its a shame though as you had proper pace here and without Guybrush on pace alone you would have won fairly easily. I dont even know if the heavy start strategy was a huge help from pole for you. Being fueled for half race you likely would have got .5 per lap on Phil and me, wouldnt have been attacked so much early and by lap 15 likely had a 7 second lead.

Thats where strategy makes it interesting, Freezer did well with his stratetgy but on pure pace he was pretty equal to me. Before his 1st stop he was only a second or so behind me on lap 5. Then he was just ahead of me before his second stop and after my second stop we were again very close.

I think from pole risking being a bit slow at the front by being very heavy puts the car more at risk for overall not much gain. If the heavy car can maintain the lead then it would be a huge gain but at this track especially being heavy was going to make you a bit of a sitting duck.

As I was slower I considered that option from 4th but thought I would have lost too much time especially if you hadnt run very heavy. Hoping I may be able to take the lead in the first stint and put some pressure on you guys to possibly force an error was really my only hope. I was quite lucky to get the lead off Freezer too as he was driving very well but I didnt want to finish second at that point so put in the full attack and luckily had the lead at the line.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2016, 08:35:24 AM »
Had Grat stayed in the race he would likely still be leading the championship as I am only 21 points ahead so a mid field finish would have been close to that.
Not correct: the worst round is not counted anyway, so whether I got 1 point or 25 in this round does not matter as my worst counted round is now Monza, where I got 5th, I think. The real problem is that I will miss the last race for sure, so my worst counted round in the end will be this 1 point. Had I tried to rejoin after the whole mess, maybe I could have got some positions back, but really just 1 or 2, if you look at the results table... I could have got, I don't know, maybe 18th.. I doubt those 2 points more would have made much of a difference though.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2016, 08:43:00 AM »
It depends how big the mess was but Phil finished 6th with 3 stops and I think 2 tyre stops, once you pressed escape though you were fairly stuffed at a lap down plus whatever time it would have taken. Probably only lost a couple extra points.

Im far from quick in this car however and once Guybrush is back best I can do is second, with Matthew and Jeremy back also then its quite a battle for second with about 6-8 of us fairly even now making losing points pretty easy for me.  ;)

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2016, 09:32:34 AM »
I think this penalty is actually a good thing and would prefer an option to not resume after escaping by server setting.

I agree with this. Kinda takes away from the realism if you can just teleport back to the pits. The only time I could see it necessary is on dodgy mod tracks where you can actually get the car stuck.

Offline Hornbag

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2016, 09:55:51 AM »
I think I got a point for the pole...

to be completely honest, you only run 26 laps, though ;)

To be completely honest you were awarded points for having a tantrum and leaving the race before its completion

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2016, 10:20:22 AM »
its on, lol I do feel Horbags pain, he makes alot of effort to keep out of the way , taking cuts and penalty's, but sticks it out, i am proud of my little bag or horns :)
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2016, 10:49:10 AM »
Yeah good stuff Hornbag. When I started with XGN I was the same; rather that looking for what position I'd come (because I'd always be last), my goal was to be lapped by the fewest number of people  ;D

I also don't get the rage quitters, some people just wanna be in the top few positions or not race at all. I've had plenty of races right a the back due to spins; I just enjoy the game.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2016, 11:02:37 AM »
DA racing is getting catty in Kunos land.  ;D

Grat vs Hornbag
its on

Wally vs Simone, still just posturing.  ;)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2016, 11:17:59 AM »
Lol Marty.

Grat got his solitary point fair and square, by getting pole position in qualifying. He got 0 for the race. There's nothing unfair there.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2016, 11:50:15 AM »
A race that went above expectations.

Did a number of laps in training and knew mid 8's was about the best I could do. The qualifying went well beating Wally but unfortunately played it a bit safe through T1. By the time I cleared Joe and co the leading bunch made a dash never to be seen again.

Kept making errors and earning 2 cuts in the first stint ensuring I came out behind Joe after my first stop mid race. Immediately stopped again for fuel hoping to undercut Joe. From there ran consistent mid 8' to the end of race with the only real action being lapping a number of cars.  Finished a solid 4th. Was following Freezer on Ptracker, kept hoping Marty would make an error! Great driver Freezer!

A shout out here for the guys at the back. Please do not go off-track when being lapped (Hornbag  ;D), tail-enders are as much a part of the race as the leaders and if Marty & GB loses a bit of time passing you then so be it.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2016, 12:32:32 PM »
Yes, that was a great drive by Freezer.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2016, 12:48:15 PM »
A shout out here for the guys at the back. Please do not go off-track when being lapped (Hornbag  ;D), tail-enders are as much a part of the race as the leaders and if Marty & GB loses a bit of time passing you then so be it.

Yes there is no reason to go off track, you can just run your normal line also no need to back off too much costing yourself too much time. Simply keep an eye on the mirrors and if a car is lapping they will make their way past. Just dont block or defend the spot, if a car is alongside simply leave the inside line to them and maybe back off a touch more on entry. Same if they are on the putside and lapping just dont defend the spot under blue flags.

A car lapping should make it fairly clear which way they will make the move and shoud not be throwing in a surprise dive bomb on you. Even with blue flags its the lapping cars that need to make the clean pass and if they catch a car at the wrong part of the track then they may lose some time. Thats part of racing but cars slowing too much and running off track actually makes it harder as you dont know what they are going to do.

In a battle coming up to some lapped traffic spices things up a bit. Sometimes you get an assist sometimes you lose out its part of racing though and as long as lapped cars arent blocking or driving people of the road they have every right to the racing line.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2016, 06:15:31 PM »
Oh, come on guys! I race every single week, I rarely come up on the podium-like position (though this season seems to be an happy exception) and I have a huge record of races in which I ended up last and kept going doing hotlaps until the very end. And I had my seasons when I had to fight a lot to get close to the top 10.

I frankly am not sure why some of you wishes to attack me on this. I had a very bad night and from pole I ended up last and stuck in the pit for another minute at least. Yes, I was disappointed. Sorry. The rules somehow give a point for pole. If Bernie Hornbag wants to remind me the rules of the concorde agreement, ok: I'll take the blame and I am happy to get a zero instead of a 1.

Sorry I left the race. It was not meant to be disrespectful to anybody. But when you say that "to be completely honest" I got the point for leaving, as opposed to get it for getting a decent lap in quali, I feel that perhaps there is a broader issue that you might have with me. I hope it's not true and that I did not do anything that harmed you. But if I did, I'd like to know.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2016, 08:41:51 PM »
Guys, before my previous post might send the wrong message:

If you are just laughing at me, I am actually happy, as it shows I am part of the community :)

I just got for a moment the thought that maybe there were untold hostilities---perhaps something I said or done in past races. Of course it must have been my paranoia.

See you on track!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal