Xtreme Gaming Network

May 23 Fun Run - Lotus 98T at Silverstone 67

Author Topic: May 23 Fun Run - Lotus 98T at Silverstone 67  (Read 30914 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
May 23 Fun Run - Lotus 98T at Silverstone 67
« on: May 16, 2017, 10:33:34 PM »
Silverstone 67 is very close to the layout used in the 1987 British Grand Prix. It only lacks one chicane prior to the final corner.

2 x 17 lap races with a qually session prior to both races.

Tyre blankets are ON.

[youtube]m3iLdY1FfQo[/youtube]
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 11:13:54 PM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: May 23 Fun Run - Lotus 98T at Silverstone 67
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 06:55:50 PM »
This is probably the simplest track for this car, but its rather quick I think my best lap has an average speed of 260kmh, its a good idea to map boost up and down to the wheel. At 70% it should be able to do a full race distance but can only do maybe 2 laps on 100% so use this more for a qualy lap or to make a pass in a race then play with boost but keeping an eye on the engine damage to avoid blowing it up.

Staying on track here is crucial so no need to try and push the track limits too much, getting a wheel in the dirt once will cost much more then leaving a bit of margin all the way around each lap.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 07:09:11 PM »
Yeah, I deliberately chose an "easy" track so we can race without too many incidents, hopefully. After the 25 and 49, this car feels like a doddle. Racing close will be a whole different ballgame though.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 07:57:46 PM »
Yeah, I deliberately chose an "easy" track so we can race without too many incidents, hopefully. After the 25 and 49, this car feels like a doddle. Racing close will be a whole different ballgame though.

Lotus 98T like a doddle  ;D I dont know exactly what that is but driving it isnt exactly the easiest thing and is quite a challenge, at least its not as technical as the sf15t with all its electronics but an amazing drive with the h-shifter. It has aero but not like you would really want too much at old silverstone it can still take a few corners easy flat with very little aero. The slow corners you just need to keep it under control on entry to maximize exits, racing close probably isn't easier then the others but at that track I don't think it helped the situation. All 3 cars are very different and tricky in their own ways, the other 2 having no aero you don't have the option of adding aero to make the drive a bit easier like in the 98t, but it has lots of power at full boost even 70% so right foot needs to be pretty good at traction control.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 08:05:37 PM by marty »

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 10:37:18 PM »
;D ;D ;D Aero...

But its attached with sticky tape by someone that doesn't know what they are doing.  ;)

Offline AJ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 12:48:15 PM »
;D ;D ;D Aero...

But its attached with sticky tape by someone that doesn't know what they are doing.  ;)

To be fair I'm sure some of the independent entries in those eras were held together by not much more  ;D

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 01:02:42 PM »
;D ;D ;D Aero...

To be fair I'm sure some of the independent entries in those eras were held together by not much more  ;D
;D ;D ;D

2+2=√16

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 09:02:29 AM »
I did update servers with new build, added some wind and 10x time progression to the practice server. I havent actually tested it but wind has a max speed of 40kmh with setting for min/max speed, direction and variation in direction. I wonder if anyone will notice a differemce.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 10:04:13 AM »
I did update servers with new build, added some wind and 10x time progression to the practice server. I havent actually tested it but wind has a max speed of 40kmh with setting for min/max speed, direction and variation in direction. I wonder if anyone will notice a differemce.
If you run the wings app that shows effective downforce, you will see how the downforce varies depending on which direction you're driving in.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 09:04:44 AM »
Could we consider doing a rolling start? I am finding that if I make a very small error when launching I end up snapping sideways into the wall. I can live with the consequences of my own mistake but it will potentially ruin other's race.

PS. I think I know what the qual range will be - 1:04 to 1:09  :'(
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 09:06:50 AM by Gratulin »

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 09:56:49 AM »
yeah, fast of you have the time or inclination to practice in these, I have neither, its can be a fun car but to be honest its all a bit toxic lately and no fun anymore
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 09:58:42 AM »
Could we consider doing a rolling start? I am finding that if I make a very small error when launching I end up snapping sideways into the wall. I can live with the consequences of my own mistake but it will potentially ruin other's race.

Start is tricky especially with the old school packed grid formation, if you start on lower rpm and avoid wheelspin a bit it should stay more stable. Also dont try start at too high a boost as it will just make it trickier. I think in these cars getting a clean start is more important then trying to beat everyone to t1, there will be plenty off places to pass here and with the draft plus boost you can make a pass in nearly any section of the lap so making it around t1 cleanly is probably a bigger aim then gaining a spkt or 2.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2017, 10:03:04 AM »

Yes, I think a rolling start will be a good idea, until we get used to these cars. I might try a normal standing start for us to try it, but if it goes badly pear shaped, we'll fall back to a rolling start. You can also reduce your boost at the start, and then ramp it up once you're under way.

to be honest its all a bit toxic lately and no fun anymore
Only for a couple of people... time to practice your chill pills. It's up to you what you make of it :)

And on the topic of wind, it definitely mixes things up. I'll have a medium strength wind (in the vicinity of 20 kmh),with the first race about northerly (with a little bit of randomness), and the second race southerly. Your revs top out in different parts of the track, and different corners definitely have more spin risk with different wind directions.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2017, 10:12:40 AM »
[Deleted by mod]
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 10:29:03 AM by Wally »
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2017, 10:20:23 AM »
yeah, fast of you have the time or inclination to practice in these, I have neither, its can be a fun car but to be honest its all a bit toxic lately and no fun anymore

[deleted by mod]

Lol I wonder why you think its toxic, surely nothing you post?

Maybe take that chill pill and stop with these types of posts unless your aim is to make things toxic in which case your doing well.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 10:29:19 AM by Wally »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal