Xtreme Gaming Network

May 23 Fun Run - Lotus 98T at Silverstone 67

Author Topic: May 23 Fun Run - Lotus 98T at Silverstone 67  (Read 30899 times)

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
Re: May 23 Fun Run - Lotus 98T at Silverstone 67
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2017, 09:50:53 PM »
In the 2nd race tonight someone spun on the main straight, hit the barrier on the right and then rolled slowly backwards across the track. Needless to say I t-boned them, wrecking both cars.

In that situation, does putting your foot on the brake stop the car rolling? This would make it easier for following cars to take evasive action.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2017, 09:52:34 PM »
I agree, Freezer. The 98T was more exciting to drive, but the Exos was more exciting to race. Playing with the boost did spice up the 98T a bit, but you don't really get enough time at 100% over a longer race to get too many opportunities to use it.

I think out of these two, I prefer the Exos.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2017, 09:58:10 PM »
I agree, Freezer. The 98T was more exciting to drive, but the Exos was more exciting to race. Playing with the boost did spice up the 98T a bit, but you don't really get enough time at 100% over a longer race to get too many opportunities to use it.

I think out of these two, I prefer the Exos.

The 100% boost works a treat if you stuck behind anyone, used it to get by Bachulum  ;D  Can I vote for all the cars?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2017, 10:05:54 PM »
RACE RESULTS

Well done to Marty on the two race wins.
Well done to Doobs for the fastest 98T race lap!
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2017, 10:21:26 PM »
98T great car but surely wont win the pole as people will pick the least challenging car of the lot like most polls. So many claim to like these great old cars but they all go into hiding when it comes to picking one to race a season.

Exos at least has better tyres then it used to with the original car only having a hard slick that never wore and barely got to temp, this needed quite a bit of aero even here so It will likely just be high aero everywhere. It isn't a track it would ever realistically race on but was still a bit of a challenge to push for a lap time and could offer some fun drafting chances for anyone that's close.

Shame AC doesn't have proper DRS rules so everyone gets to use it but admins can set DRS zone on any tracks even though here I preferred it open as the most fun corner for me was the last turn with DRS open taken flat and never far away from a big accident there.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2017, 10:31:28 PM »
Shame AC doesn't have proper DRS rules so everyone gets to use it but admins can set DRS zone on any tracks even though here I preferred it open as the most fun corner for me was the last turn with DRS open taken flat and never far away from a big accident there.
I reckon it was just that this historic version of the track didn't have DRS zones. The newer layouts have the specific DRS zones.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2017, 10:56:14 PM »
I reckon it was just that this historic version of the track didn't have DRS zones. The newer layouts have the specific DRS zones.

You can use the DRS app in dev apps to make DRS zones for any track then add this file to the server and all will use the same DRS zones. Still there is no DRS rules so everyone can use it every lap so its kind of pointless at least having it open all the way around the track at least leaves strategy for people to commit to using DRS in some sketchy fast corners with some risk.

...this needed quite a bit of aero even here..

I went with 5 front and 0 rear and still had my thumb on DRS non stop(having to reapply after braking). What wing did you run Marty?
Perhaps 0 wing was overkill as you could see by catching me in practice, but that was before I had DRS mapped. I just can't put in enough consistent laps to know if a particular way to go is really faster or not.

No Idea how you could drive it with 5 front and 0 rear lol, maybe with TC this was possible and surely stability control isn't enabled in the server but still would have been much slower. I only did a few laps this afternoon to test basic aero. Going very low the car was way too slow in corners and not any more top speed as it lost so much exit speed. I ran 12f 11r this gave reasonable balance and corner speeds. DRS you only need to tap once and then it turns off when you brake or tap it again. If I went too much front vs rear the back end would let go everywhere so I don't know how it would be driveable at all.

Its not always minimum aero at high speed tracks, if the apex speeds are so much slower you barely get to the same top speed it will be losing lots of time per lap. The exos on the other hand I ran 3 3 aero I think as more didn't gain much cornering speed here and the fast corners were still flat at this setting and lots of aero in that is very draggy when running less boost.

Offline doobs

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2017, 12:44:23 AM »
98T great car but surely wont win the pole as people will pick the least challenging car of the lot like most polls. So many claim to like these great old cars but they all go into hiding when it comes to picking one to race a season.

It's a fantastic car. Not surprisingly I chose it and am really disappointed that the easy option looks like getting up.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2017, 07:36:35 AM »

It's a fantastic car. Not surprisingly I chose it and am really disappointed that the easy option looks like getting up.

Its a bit of a shame but at least with all the options they are quite different to the last few seasons. I was kind of shocked the 98t went to the top of the votes and was fairly sure it wouldnt stay there.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2017, 07:45:59 AM »
I think the 98T is great fun, but the 125 is funner.

Offline Shayne

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2017, 08:44:49 AM »
I really enjoyed the 98T, deciding on when to use boost throughout a race would be good fun but the exos had a lot closer racing. The first couple of laps in the exos were very close and from what I seen most people handled that without problems. The same can't be said for the 98T, that seemed to spread out quite quickly.

I don't really know where I want to place my vote, I've changed it a few times already but I just can't decide.... I want the 98T because it's exciting and could be death at every corner but the exos did show a lot of exciting close racing so I just don't know.

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2017, 09:04:10 AM »
When ppl is talking about how a car gives more closing racing more than another one.....i just know  that they have been drinking a xxxx 6 pack with a bottle of stoned

Simone

Offline doobs

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2017, 09:05:56 AM »

Its a bit of a shame but at least with all the options they are quite different to the last few seasons. I was kind of shocked the 98t went to the top of the votes and was fairly sure it wouldnt stay there.

Yes, it's not a sedan. I didn't find it that difficult to drive, a;though having said that, I have no idea how I steered into the wall. I don't know if I got a gentle touch, but the front suddenly got a lot of grip. It wasn't a rear end lose. Still, I had a cracking time because the car is fun to drive. I can give or take close racing but I can barely stand driving boring cars. The Exo will still be fun, but the 98T is funner.  :)

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2017, 11:57:45 AM »

Yes, it's not a sedan. I didn't find it that difficult to drive, a;though having said that, I have no idea how I steered into the wall. I don't know if I got a gentle touch, but the front suddenly got a lot of grip. It wasn't a rear end lose. Still, I had a cracking time because the car is fun to drive. I can give or take close racing but I can barely stand driving boring cars. The Exo will still be fun, but the 98T is funner.  :)
You can hot lap a difficult car any time you like but hasn't great racing always been about 'Close Racing'. ?

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2017, 12:46:23 PM »
Close racing in difficult cars is much more rewarding then close racing in simpler cars.  ;) It wasnt that close in the exos anyway. Both races went pretty much the same way with a good battle earpy that fizzled out to hotlap sessions. If the racong isnt close then a more fun car to drive is at least better when nobody is around.

I think that was the simplest track you will ever get in the exos so racing wont get any closer unless we run an oval or old Monza. A more technical track will have much bigger gaps in these cars.

Normally a more challenging car its harder to run consistant laps close to the limit so if you lose a bit of time its more likely to get it back with some solid laps. In the exos lose a few seconds and you likely wont ever catch back up, 98t there is also the boost strategy so you can save the engine for later in the race or force someone to abuse theirs early in defence, no gaps are safe when you can make 4 seconds per lap turning up the boost.  ;)

DRS even if using the 1 second rule wont be much different to what it was, it will likely make passing a bit too easy but in this race if someone was within 1 sec the draft was enough to get alongside and make a pass if both used drs.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal