Xtreme Gaming Network

May 23 Fun Run - Lotus 98T at Silverstone 67

Author Topic: May 23 Fun Run - Lotus 98T at Silverstone 67  (Read 30907 times)

Offline doobs

• View Profile
Re: May 23 Fun Run - Lotus 98T at Silverstone 67
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2017, 01:26:02 PM »
98T great car but surely wont win the pole as people will pick the least challenging car of the lot like most polls. So many claim to like these great old cars but they all go into hiding when it comes to picking one to race a season.

It's a fantastic car. Not surprisingly I chose it and am really disappointed that the easy option looks like getting up.

Its a bit of a shame but at least with all the options they are quite different to the last few seasons. I was kind of shocked the 98t went to the top of the votes and was fairly sure it wouldnt stay there.

Yes, it's not a sedan. I didn't find it that difficult to drive, a;though having said that, I have no idea how I steered into the wall. I don't know if I got a gentle touch, but the front suddenly got a lot of grip. It wasn't a rear end lose. Still, I had a cracking time because the car is fun to drive. I can give or take close racing but I can barely stand driving boring cars. The Exo will still be fun, but the 98T is funner.  :)
You can hot lap a difficult car any time you like but hasn't great racing always been about 'Close Racing'. ?

The only hotlapping I did in that car was the fastest lap I did. I did over a hundred laps practice on and off the server and only because the car was good fun to drive. I certainly wasn't practicing to hot lap. 95% of the practice I did was on medium tyres trying to drive the circuit properly. Close racing only excites me when the car does, otherwise I don't care too much. That shows in my results. I generally only do half and hour to an hour practice normally because the cars are dull.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 04:00:44 PM by doobs »

Offline doobs

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2017, 01:28:56 PM »
RACE RESULTS

Well done to Marty on the two race wins.
Well done to Doobs for the fastest 98T race lap!

Thanks for the recognition Wally. That's what 100% boost and 100 laps of practice in a fun car can do.
Maybe I should practice more.

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2017, 01:49:00 PM »
Thanks for the recognition Wally. That's what 100% boost and 100 laps of practice in a fun car can do.

I suspect that's true for most of us! I did a lot more laps in the 98t and it showed, You fasted lap edged mine by 0.088s  :)

Did my fasted lap on the last lap with 100% boost in a effort to close the gap to Grat but it appears he had the same idea as his fastest lap was also on lap 17. Was a very frustrating/entertaining race as I could see Grat in front of me the whole race but never quite managed to close the gap to him.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2017, 01:56:51 PM »
Hunter: Bacchulum (avg gap to car in front 1.72 secs)
Hunted: Bacchulum (avg gap to car behind 1.65 secs)
Busiest: Bacchulum (avg total gap in front and behind 3.37 secs)

I reckon the 98T gave closer racing, personally. 8)

2+2=√16

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2017, 02:08:29 PM »
Close racing in difficult cars is much more rewarding then close racing in simpler cars.  ;)
But with the spread of talent across our field, the difficult cars tend to remove the closeness and people end up running on their own . . . .

Offline doobs

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2017, 02:13:16 PM »

I suspect that's true for most of us! I did a lot more laps in the 98t and it showed, You fasted lap edged mine by 0.088s  :)

Did my fasted lap on the last lap with 100% boost in a effort to close the gap to Grat but it appears he had the same idea as his fastest lap was also on lap 17. Was a very frustrating/entertaining race as I could see Grat in front of me the whole race but never quite managed to close the gap to him.
😀 That's what I expect I would have had for most of the race too, if I didn't have my weirdness, and I would have loved it. I get more enjoyment from that kind of racing in an awesome car than a race where I might have passed one or two, and been passed by ten other cars in a boring car.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2017, 03:40:05 PM »
Close racing in difficult cars is much more rewarding then close racing in simpler cars.  ;)
But with the spread of talent across our field, the difficult cars tend to remove the closeness and people end up running on their own . . . .

It really hasn't made much difference in cars, the overall closest season up front I think was the lotus 72d vs ferrari 312t. The last few seasons were close in terms of gaps but I think I made 3 passes last night which is more then I probably made on track all of last season. There were races last season where we stayed within a few seconds even over a 1 hour distance but hardly any passes were made so it was far from exciting racing. I think I also had most hunter awards because the races I didnt lead I was just stuck behind other cars not really being able to get past, trickier cars provide better racing as you cant push 100% all the way and need to back off a little. If your behind you can push on more take some more risk the leader is unlikely to be taking, a car like the exos there is no reason not to push 100% every lap and still be within a few tenths most laps, this means if you get a gap its unlikely anyone will catch it back up.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2017, 03:51:23 PM »
In the 98T, over a 50 min race, I expect lots of blown engines/gearboxes and accidents, which should jumble the field in any given race.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2017, 07:24:34 PM »

Eheheeheh,... I had a button mapped to the turbo, and my finger mapped to the mirrors :)

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2017, 10:26:50 PM »

It really hasn't made much difference in cars, the overall closest season up front I think was the lotus 72d vs ferrari 312t. The last few seasons were close in terms of gaps but I think I made 3 passes last night which is more then I probably made on track all of last season. There were races last season where we stayed within a few seconds even over a 1 hour distance but hardly any passes were made so it was far from exciting racing. I think I also had most hunter awards because the races I didnt lead I was just stuck behind other cars not really being able to get past, trickier cars provide better racing as you cant push 100% all the way and need to back off a little. If your behind you can push on more take some more risk the leader is unlikely to be taking, a car like the exos there is no reason not to push 100% every lap and still be within a few tenths most laps, this means if you get a gap its unlikely anyone will catch it back up.
But your reference point is the 3 guys out in front who are all pretty close . . . . in the mid pack it's not necessarily the case!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal