Xtreme Gaming Network

S17R3: Spa post-race chat

Author Topic: S17R3: Spa post-race chat  (Read 23534 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
S17R3: Spa post-race chat
« on: June 13, 2017, 10:03:03 PM »
RACE RESULTS
SEASON STATS

Penalties
Race 1
A tough one off the line – Slow_As was a bit slow, Doobs baulked a bit to avoid him, and Dave O ran into the back of Doobs. I think that was really just a racing incident, almost a penalty.

Then again, Slow_As was slow on the inside of La Source (T1), and probably didn’t see Dave O appear from the left to make the corner which was congested. Again, a racing incident due to being unsighted.

Race 2
Bacchulum ran into the back of KeRo, spinning him off the track, so gets a penalty.

Round Points
Kcender87   62
Jeremy   62
Shayne   54
Mael   54
Phil.8   54
Matthew111   52
Seanus   49
Freezer   49
ab156   45
Wally   45
Joe   44
Slow_As   44
Simone   43
AJ   37
Bacchulum   36
Doobs   36
Grat   32
Dave O   28
Chap111   28
DJB   28
Gratulin   18
KeRo   16

Congratulations to Matthew for pole position and fastest lap in race 1, Grat and Kcender for the race wins, and Jeremy and KCender for a tie for round honours.

Season Podium
1. Matthew111, 132
2. Kcender87, 127
3. Jeremy, 121

No change in standings.

Teams
1.    Struggle Street Racing Crew    361
2.    Infinity+1    204
3.    Krahl Racing    201

Infinity+1 (Shayne and Seanus) swap spots with Krahl Racing (Joe and Phil), in what's shaping up to be a close team rivalry.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 10:38:34 PM by Wally »
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Slow_As

• View Profile
Re: S17R3: Spa post-race chat
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 10:09:29 PM »

I was very happy with a 1.58.6 on the practice server with the restrictor - but unfortunately that pace was not available come qualifying...

Race 1 - so so qual - had forgotten how to take some corners and not push on others....
kept nose clean :) and ended with a good dice with Gratulin - nearly made the most of a mistake then I made one the next corner - and he got away - but still great fun racing. - had 25% restrictor

Race 2 - no 25 % restrictor and lots of speed, but took some rear down force out and nearly landed in the local hospital with a lose at Eau Rouge.... Somehow caught it, then a stupid mistake at that last silly little chicane resulted in a  spin and much red mist - drove very hard chasing Freezer but could not pass, last lap and 1-3 cars ahead must of tangled or something as I snuck past a couple of people - held on to ??8th on the last lap then went over the line with a car glued to the front and rear wing - great racing.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 10:16:55 PM »
Qually a bit slower than I hoped due to mistakes and traffic. Started 6th.

Race one I gained a spot on Phil by Eu Rouge as I backed off a little for whoever was infront of me and Phil also backed off a bit and I was able to put my foot down. Was behind Jeremy and Kero for a few laps with them having a good battle but Kero lost it into the barrier unfortunately. I was being extra cautious not get cuts after round 1 and Jeremy started to pull away. After the pit stop be was quite far ahead and the gap behind was quite big so I just kept it clean. Matthew's incident gifted me 3rd.

Race two started quite well, lap 3 I got a much better exit through La Source than Jeremy who was infront and my DRS went green. I kept the pedal down but they realised I was going a fair bit quicker than him and eased off a touch on the second apex of Eu Rouge which send me skidding sideways. I almost caught it but came back over to the left into the barrier with red engine, wings and steering broken. Just as I came to a halt the DRS app beeped  ;D I had to teleport back to the pits to be given a 5 minute penalty and came out I guess two laps down I guess finishing last.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 10:24:25 PM »
Quali: was very happy with second place, having seen Phil and others were very fast in practice. Had two almost-clean laps and had no chance to get to Matthew's times anyway.

Race 1: I had a good fight with Matthew the first 2 laps, but there was no point trying to fight him as he was much faster. I thought to stay at a reasonable distance (say 3 or so seconds) in case he had a problem, but mostly kept my eyes on Jeremy, who was 2 or 3 seconds behind me and regularly lapping on very similar times.. When Jeremy went to the pits I pushed very hard that lap and pitted as well. Then Matthew went in just after me and re-joined at roughly the same distance. I think he got surprised by the cold tyres and made a mistake. There was a moment of panic when a lapped car and I arrived where he crashed, but I had enough time to lift and move over. From then on, I kept looking at Jeremy's gap and tried to keep it constant. Grat race, Jeremy!

Race 2: mostly clean start, but touched lightly Matthew braking into t1. Sorry, mate. Perhaps you were going even more prudent than I was, as my pushed actually seemed to have gained you a position ;) Sorry anyway. Then I got out of Radillon faster than Phil ahead of me, but we went 3 wide and I chickened out of it before the braking point and let them go. At the end of the lap Phil went all defensive into the last chicane and I had a go on the outside, as it actually is pretty tricky to get the inner kerb there. In fact he spun and I passed. Then I was following I think Shayne for a few corners and could not find a space to pass while I was much faster through Bruxelles-unnamed-Puhon. I thought I really had passed him at the right-left S, but from the replay I see that I closed him too much. MY FAULT! Sorry. I spun and lost the rear wing. When then somebody was passing me at Radillon, I tried to stay on the inside without rear wing and... well, you can imagine. There was very little left of the car. They airlifted me to Liege Hospital, but thankfully it was nothing too bad and I could watch the end of the race in tv!

:)

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 10:42:24 PM »
I know we tried once to have points not based on a 32-1-1-1-1-1... Some people complained a lot. But I have to admit it feels a bit funny to be 17th of the round after winning the feature race in an F2 weekend ;)

Offline kcender87

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 11:02:46 PM »
Q1 and R1

Had 25% sock in the intake so ran williams spec slippery low downforce set (literally 0 rear wing) to try to find some speed on the straights. Sadly with the wind blowing another way, I lost any wind based assistance in sector 2 and all the high downforce sets gains some help in 1 and 3 putting me well off the pace.

It was all for the best though delivering a 16 lap battle with Phil - we were swapping positions every lap (more than once per lap often) and managed to run side by side through every turn but for Eau Rouge and Pouhon - ended in a drag to the line out of the final new bus stop with the grip going to phil on the outside line - best racing ive had in a long time - bumped wheels a few times which was great too.

R2

Took that sock out of the intake and magically changed the direction of the wind and the car was a rocket - 303 up Kemmel with no DRS and fair grip in sector 2. Massive run out of Raidillon on lap one grabbed the lead and was luckily able to hold it.

Great week- thanks for the race fellas

Offline AJ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 11:08:43 PM »
Not trying to get anybody in trouble, but are there any penalties for adding fuel?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 11:15:18 PM »
I know we tried once to have points not based on a 32-1-1-1-1-1... Some people complained a lot. But I have to admit it feels a bit funny to be 17th of the round after winning the feature race in an F2 weekend ;)
That's only because you weren't classified as a finisher in race 2 and so got no points.

Hey Shayne, I watched the race 1 replay. To me, it looked like I was driving more or less on the racing line which is the left of the straight and you just ran out of room attempting to pass on the left. I might have been able to be more observant with Helicorsa and see you approaching from the left rear and given you more room.

And Simone, on the 2nd last lap in race 2, I was on the racing line and you really just punted me in the rear before you got any overlap. But no biggie, we had some excellent racing with some good passing which made up for it :)

I couldn't qualify for the life of me. I couldn't get a lap better than 2:00.x. I kept stuffing up the laps. But I did get a really good start off the line, passing a couple of very slow cars before La Source.

The only downer in race 1 was spinning on a kerb which saw me drop a few spots. But then it also made me nervous around the kerbs. Overall though, I really enjoyed the round, having lots of close racing, and taking out the Hunter award for race 2 for my relentless battle with Simone's red Ferrari.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 11:18:17 PM »
Not trying to get anybody in trouble, but are there any penalties for adding fuel?
I think it was just an innocent mistake. KeRo added 8 litres in race 1.

Offline Slow_As

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 11:20:55 PM »
Penalties
Race 1
A tough one off the line – Slow_As was a bit slow, Doobs baulked a bit to avoid him, and Dave O ran into the back of Doobs. I think that was really just a racing incident, almost a penalty.

Then again, Slow_As was slow on the inside of La Source (T1), and probably didn’t see Dave O appear from the left to make the corner which was congested. Again, a racing incident due to being unsighted.

But I've tried being fast and then I get penalties :( .... Racing incidents for sure - I'd be a bit sad if the issue in race 2 got me another penalty - my car cannot disappear. Anyway on to the next one
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 11:25:11 PM by Slow_As »

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 11:21:31 PM »
That's only because you weren't classified as a finisher in race 2 and so got no points.
Wally: I do not want to make any polemics, but it is not "only because you weren't classified..." It is because I was not classified and because instead of a 10,6,4... or a 25,18,15 system, we have a 32,31,30 system, in which arriving 16th twice is as good as winning one and DNF another ;)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 11:22:08 PM »
Penalties
Race 1

But I've tried being fast and then I get penalties :( .... Racing incidents  :)
I could see you were being cautious at La source, which is better than barrelling in too fast for sure :)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2017, 11:24:04 PM »
Wally: I do not want to make any polemics, but it is not "only because you weren't classified..." It is because I was not classified and because instead of a 10,6,4... or a 25,18,15 system, we have a 32,31,30 system, in which arriving 16th twice is as good as winning one and DNF another ;)
I did think a bit about this before the season, because the real F2 does something like only giving points to the top 10, with a pretty heavy weighting to the higher positions. I think a close "-1-1-1-1" type scoring tends to mix it up a bit more, making the championship leaders a little more catchable.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2017, 11:33:20 PM »
I did think a bit about this before the season, because the real F2 does something like only giving points to the top 10, with a pretty heavy weighting to the higher positions. I think a close "-1-1-1-1" type scoring tends to mix it up a bit more, making the championship leaders a little more catchable.
Sure, no worries. It's all good. Maybe we can all have a discussion for another season like this. I know people don't like not making points, but we could device a system which gives point to, say, the first 15 or 20, and most people will make point at each race. All you need is start big, like
1. 40
2. 28
3. 22
4. 18
5. 15
6. 13
7. 12
8. 11
9. 10
10. 9
11. 8
12. 7
13. 6
14. 5
15. 4
16. 3
17. 2
18. 1

BTW: I realize that while I can't be of any use setting servers and things like that, I should offer myself for helping with organizational things, counting points, watching replays and so on. Hell, I can do that even on those 2 or 3 months a year I am away and can't race. It would make me feel "closer" to the group

EDIT: PS: I think F2 also gives more points for the feature race ;)

Offline djb1974

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2017, 12:33:08 AM »
Hey guys thanks for letting me race with you guys tonight.

I got some small practice time for an hour or so over the weekend, so didnt have a car set up much, more than the a camber change and some pressure changes, so knew i wasnt going to be super fast, but then im never super fast on a good day!! LOL.  Qualled last, but i got a really good start off the line and had to lift very early as others hadnt got a good start, chose the wide outside line to try and be safe and not hit any 1 in T1.  after that every 1 pulled away nicely, i had damaged my front wing so pitted on lap 4.  was surprised on the last couple of laps i was able to race for positions amongst the front runners as there were some other back markers there.  10 cut laps i think i got with 3 x 10sec penalties. some in really crazy spots for going too wide taking the long way around and being pinged for it, lol. i didnt finish last on track across the line, but the extra penalties probably pushed me back.

Race 2 and i was on the inside line, another great start but really had nowhere to go, slight tap into the back of AJ on T1 under brakes, sorry mate but managed to stay with the rear of the pack mostly.  missed all the chaos up front,  but did notice my position climbing higher. Under pressure in the last few laps i gave up some easy spots spinning at the Bus Stop a couple of times cost me big time.

Enjoyed myself, thanks guys!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal