Xtreme Gaming Network

S9 R4 - Circuit Mas du Clos - 10/08/2017 - Sophistication and Style

Author Topic: S9 R4 - Circuit Mas du Clos - 10/08/2017 - Sophistication and Style  (Read 13084 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: S9 R4 - Circuit Mas du Clos - 10/08/2017 - Sophistication and Style
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 09:36:42 PM »
A  lot of fun. The first few laps were great, with a hard chase from GW, but then I ran a little wide onto the grass after the mini "corkscrew" and bounced up onto the road up behind the pit buildings. Rather than turn around, I took a punt that you could drive right up around the back of the building and back down into pit lane, and luckily you could. Later in the race I had a good couple of laps with firebolt. After he had a minor lose coming towards the final corner, I got alongside him and we had a little side to side bump entering the final corner which was interesting. But we both hung on, only to have firebolt unfortunately lose it at turn 1 letting me past.

Thanks GW for letting us lapped cars through so we could continue to battle for position.

And well done to DJB on the long waited for win :D
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline djb1974

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 11:09:34 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

10 years i have waited for this moment, i honestly thought it would never come.  i wasnt even going to race tonight, downloaded the track at 6:40pm. practiced for 15mins left and come back at the start of the 15min qually season, but something clicked.

My best ever qualifying position of 6th, never in my wildest thoughts even then did i think a win was on the cards. a nice clean lap, lap 2 Bacchulum crashed then a few laps later Rooshooter lost it in the same spot as Bacch, now 3rd, i just pushed on, Robin seemed to be running wide Bruce passed me, i cant recall what happened to 1st and 2nd as it was now Bruce and I, as i chased him down for the lead. he got wide after the last turn but just kept it on track, i backed off and gave him room as he was the leader, just not used to being up the front, then next lap he went a little wide again, this time i kept my foot down and passed him up the straight for my 1st ever over take into Position One! i had been sweating real bad and had the nervous shakes chasing down Bruce, now i was in the lead, man did i feel the nerves kick in even harder! But i put my head down and tried very hard to concentrate, i pitted a few laps later on 22 or 23 giving the lead back to Bruce, bruce pitted and i retook the lead as he sat in the pits. there was still some 13-14 laps left could i hold my nerve for that long, nerves got me again and my hands and feet were shaking, i had a lead of about 5-6 sec and i managed to get it out around the 8 sec mark, then i backed off and relaxed, to a degree, lol, very hard to keep the focus and not lose with excitement, i made just the 1 mistake all race with a compression lock up going into turn 1, slipped it in 3rd at high revs and the car spun to the right up over the grass corner, managed to save it keep it on the road, took some big breaths then pushed on.  with 2 laps to go i knew it was done and safe as long as i didnt cock up, i slowed down the hill onto the front straight so not to lose it, i braked a little early for all the corners then i crossed the line - WINNER. 

I did shed a little tear, the feeling was numbness, disbelief, i pulled up around the top of turn 1-2 and just sat there. Soaking it in, i just won, in the end by just under 8sec, I just won, unbelievable.

I just want to say thanks to everyone for acknowledgment of my win, it was very special, thank you. There were some bloody good drivers in tonights line up, but the Gods had smiled and tonight was My Night!! 

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2017, 12:40:32 AM »
Well done on the win dave. Good pace and with my 70% engine restrictor no way i could match it.

Thanks to bacculum for taking mael out and giving me a chance to build a gap. Kept the leading pack in sight but with full tank of fuel and engine restrictor i couldnt quite match the pace.

I eventually caught up with rob who pitted so i pitted the following lap and came out ahead. Bruce was out in front and took his stop and i jumped him into 2nd which i didnt expect to happen. Must have been a longer stop for fuel?

Good fun.

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2017, 07:43:57 AM »
Congratulations on your first win David and a brilliant report on what was going through your mind at the time. I fully understand your excitement as it took me 8 years to get my first win. ;D ;D
social media is the tobacco of this century

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2017, 08:02:21 AM »
Thanks for letting me race with you guys it was great (racing as firebolt, but changed it for next time). I was way off the pace due mostly to a steep learning curve with that car and track combo. Had a little bit of practice after the race and managed a 59.9 with consistent 1.00 so would have been even better race (for me) had I had a little more time to practice beforehand. Looking forward to joining in some more when work permits and of course grid availability. Thanks again, bueller.

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2017, 08:13:39 AM »
After qualifying third ( a big thankyou Phil, you did a splendid with the handicapping :)) and having done a lot of practice ( I am finding the more I practice the more relaxed I am on the night) I was ready for a good race. With Bruce and Robin in front of me on the grid I knew I would only be able to keep up as they both are very comfortable in their respective cars. Once Bruce hit the lead I fully expected him to get another win and Robin and me were having some great battles right behind him untill I had an off on the infamous corner but managed to retain control. After battling my way back up the placings I pitted and rejoined the race only to really lose it on the same corner again, only this time I had no steering and had to hit escape to the pits. This track and the handicapping produced some of the best racing I have experienced  ;D ;D ;D. The teamspeak quote of the night would have to be "what do I do now I have never been in this position before" from David Brister which reminded of the quote from Oliver Twist " please sir may I have some more" like he was asking Bruce , please sir may I pass you? ;D ;D ;D a true gentleman racer , which is what Thursday nights is all about.

NB. I nearly forgot Phil, do not forget to give David Brister 100% restricter for the next race ;D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 08:41:17 AM by rooshooter »

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2017, 09:21:30 AM »
DBJ congratulations on the win, you certainly deserved, and if I was a fatalist, from your write up, with the late download and short practice and just jumping in time, it was destined!
Your race report is one of the best I have read here, you certainly captured all the emotions... great race, you drove the pants off that car!

I think I just need to say, I enjoyed the race and survived it better than I thought.  I had forgotten it was an eduro and when I heard Phil mention CPS, ohhh, checked the laps, 42!  Well the adrenaline, with DBJ on fire, Robin and roo pushing hard, the laps disappeared quickly.

Happy to have the inside position for turn one and managed to get and hoped to eke out the early lead.   I started to worry when my tyres were still showing 100%, I hadn't done a long session and thought, ohh, the tyre report may be wrong and was waiting for an wild off.
My mental arithmetic is crap, I stuffed up remaining laps/fuel quantity and languish in the pits for longer than needed, and Joe drove past! :)
That being said, I a few seconds less would't have changed the outcome. 

Certainly felt some of the crashes, man they did look spectacular and me coming close to having a major loose down the man straight, wise decision to back off DBJ, I think I was mostly a passenger even if I did recover, and better to well out of the way.

I did think you were joking when your commented; "What do I do now?", but you got it!
Pleased to see firebolt, nice racing, a tough starting point.
(PS I did get confused between firebolt/DBJ, sorry)
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2017, 04:38:29 PM »
Congratulations DJB1974! 8)
You now know a feeling Alonso has forgotten. ;)

2+2=√16

Offline imperious

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2017, 10:41:40 PM »
Looks like I missed a good nights racing, thanks to the Flu unfortunately.

Offline rob

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2017, 09:08:22 AM »
Well done Dave on your first win. If you can do that with only a little practice I'm sure it will be the first of many.

Offline djb1974

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2017, 09:08:02 PM »
Thanks guys means a heap to get praise like that from my fellow racers. and Rob i hope theres more to come, lol
and LOL at Roos write up, with the oliver twist reference, i really had no idea, it almost felt wrong to push past him, i was just so far out of my league and that kink after the back straight i worked out dont brake just lift and i was making huge ground on bruce there, and by turn 1 was again all over his rear, not sure if it was my gear selection, i had only drove this car once before a few weeks back with u guys at Tor Pozan, so i just grabbed that set up tweaked the tyre pressure slightly and raced, lol. i almost feel i cheated in the sence of no practice compared to some of you who would have practiced.

I must say i have sat back back and watched the replay a couple of times, and i really had a boring race, almost like my normal races when im at the back and coming last, apart from the great battle in the 1st stint with Bruce i just drove around almost by myself for the race.

I will live this moment for a life time now, lol if i never won again it wouldnt bother me, the nerves, stress and pressure was huge its much easier at the rear just lapping. i posted 30 odd action pics and 3 small videos on my facebook, so i can bask in my glory when i feel down, lol.

Offline Phil.8

• Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2017, 09:51:04 PM »
that is a good write up :)
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal