Xtreme Gaming Network

S20R3: Thruxton

Author Topic: S20R3: Thruxton  (Read 21289 times)

Offline Phil

• View Profile
Re: S20R3: Thruxton
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2018, 12:01:54 PM »
What temp will the track be on the night?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2018, 12:11:25 PM »
Well, like I said, the general rule that PLP is trying to enforce automatically is "two wheels within the white line". There's a clear white line in the chicane. If you want to drive "honestly", you should keep at least two wheels within the lines.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 12:17:06 PM »
Well, like I said, the general rule that PLP is trying to enforce automatically is "two wheels within the white line". There's a clear white line in the chicane. If you want to drive "honestly", you should keep at least two wheels within the lines.

honestly?    it wont happen

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2018, 12:19:17 PM »
But you're also losing through the final chicane, suggesting Godzilla is into something.
I'm taking the final chicane quite honestly.
The problem with racing is that part of the job is to figure out the limits of the track. PLP encourages to look at it to figure them out. So if it does not get red, one keeps going on that line, even if it looks a bit too much... It is like that in real life too: plenty of examples of corners where the apex or the exit is not really policed, with the stewards having an attitude more like "if you can handle that big curb, then it's up to you". I think this is why Godzilla is asking for clarifications. As otherwise most of us will just do whatever PLP does not penalize. (hell, I got penalized in round 1 race 3 for avoiding other cars and crashes. I might as well take advantage of the system when I can ;))

Guess that's the only practical way to deal with it...unless you want to spend hours on policing the whole race in retrospect. And how do you deal with borderline cases...watching slow motions from different angles!?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 12:22:05 PM by killagorilla »

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2018, 12:30:19 PM »
I'm just keen on figuring out the shortcut Dave O was using when doing his sector 3 time on his fastest lap.
Then it's just about adjusting my fuel load and I'm good for the race ;-)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2018, 12:32:06 PM »
But you're also losing through the final chicane, suggesting Godzilla is into something.
I'm taking the final chicane quite honestly.
The problem with racing is that part of the job is to figure out the limits of the track. PLP encourages to look at it to figure them out. So if it does not get red, one keeps going on that line, even if it looks a bit too much... It is like that in real life too: plenty of examples of corners where the apex or the exit is not really policed, with the stewards having an attitude more like "if you can handle that big curb, then it's up to you". I think this is why Godzilla is asking for clarifications. As otherwise most of us will just do whatever PLP does not penalize. (hell, I got penalized in round 1 race 3 for avoiding other cars and crashes. I might as well take advantage of the system when I can ;) )

Guess that's the only practical way to deal with it...unless you want to spend hours on policing the whole race in retrospect. And how do you deal with borderline cases...watching slow motions from different angles!?
It happens from time to time, pretty rarely really, with mod tracks. It won't get policed, but the expectation has been set.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Godzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2018, 12:34:46 PM »
Not sure I’d rely on honesty, not that people are dishonest as such but the urge to gain any advantage possible will simply be too great. Trying to police it would be WAY too hard so practically I think if PLP doesn’t count it as a cut then it’s probably best to leave it

Offline Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2018, 01:41:31 PM »
What camber should I set the front and back wheels?

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2018, 02:06:10 PM »
Not sure if I'm the right one to answer this as I'm not the fastest. On the other hand the faster guys have done their times on higher grip levels.
However, I've done my fastest lap on -3.2 front/-1.1 rear.

Offline Dave O

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2018, 02:49:14 PM »
I'm just keen on figuring out the shortcut Dave O was using when doing his sector 3 time on his fastest lap.

Just had a look at my fastest lap on the stats   :o sector 1 lost about 20 seconds, sector 3 gain around 17 seconds ???  Got me beat?

You wouldn't gain 17 seconds if you completely straight lined the chicane. ?? Interesting  ::)
NEVER TOO OLD TO RACE ... being competitive can be a PROBLEM though.

Offline Godzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2018, 02:53:09 PM »

Last time I’ve seen this the person was using a different (older) version of the track with different sectors marked and the checksum on the server wasn’t working properly for some reason

Offline Dave O

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2018, 03:02:20 PM »

Last time I’ve seen this the person was using a different (older) version of the track with different sectors marked and the checksum on the server wasn’t working properly for some reason

Downloaded from Wally's link.
NEVER TOO OLD TO RACE ... being competitive can be a PROBLEM though.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2018, 03:56:53 PM »

Yeah, that could be it. This track has been updated over time.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2018, 04:00:13 PM »
What temp will the track be on the night?
The practice server is set to the midday race weather. The morning race is generally a little bit cooler. The afternoon race is usually about the same temp as the midday race, maybe plus or minus 1 degree.

Offline Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2018, 07:36:10 AM »
I went searching for the practice server two days ago and I couldn't see it. I searched for empty servers starting with "xgn". I found one but I think it had monza and a different set of cars.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal