Xtreme Gaming Network

S25R1: SunBank 24 at Daytona Road Course

Author Topic: S25R1: SunBank 24 at Daytona Road Course  (Read 62204 times)

Offline RussG

• View Profile
Re: S25R1: SunBank 24 at Daytona Road Course
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2018, 01:38:58 PM »
I had a fun time chasing Freezer almost the whole race. He went on Softs and I went Mediums. It was like the invisible elastic band between us. The gap would grow a bit and shrink a bit but neither of us made any great impression on the other. As Freezer said, I made up time on the pit stops. Don't know how I made up any on the first stop as I stopped with less than a lap of fuel left and brimmed it up to 99L again. I went 99L, 99L, 73L. I don't know the actual refuel time, but I know that putting in 99L takes 40 secs longer than changing tires - so long pit stops.
After the second pit stop I surprised Freezer by being beside him as he came out of the pits and snuck past at the first hairpin. My joy was shortlived as he stayed close and got me at T1 after a great slipstream.
Then Able Archer wound up joining us and making it a 3 way battle which was interesting as he had the Merc power on the straights. Coming on to the banking I went to go around the outside of AA as he was really slow there, but I touched his right rear corner spinning him - sorry mate. I was surprised as I would have sworn I was missing him. A few laps later did the same move but got around OK, then in my rush to get the power down I spun up the rears and came back across into AA's path and we crashed - sorry again. My car smashed into the wall and broke suspension and aero. Thank god it was the last lap and I limped home without losing any places.

As others have said, I am pessimistic about the Short Tails chances of making an impression, but it's great to drive so we'll see how it pans out later in the season.
Some days you're the pigeon,
Some days you're the statue ...

Offline ab156

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2018, 02:57:58 PM »
I messed up by starting the race on qualifying fuel.  A bit of a shock when I got the “we’ve used half the fuel” call as I crossed the S/F for the 2nd time.  Put to bed all my stop minimisation strategy as I now had to endure 2 99L stops AND try and conserve a bit.

I did enjoy the racing in general although the blue flags for most of the race were a bit tedious.  Because I went a lap down early due to the stop I felt a bit like Ocon at points.  Luckily the LT was able to round up most of the cars on the back straight.

It will be interesting to see how the season pans out.  Next week may not give a final picture but should be a bit more competitive for the field.  Closing speeds and slowness in corners will no doubt be a topic of discussion.  Daytona was ok as the C9 and LT could close massive ground and build a big gap before the twisty bits, maybe not so clear cut at Sebring.

Offline bradc

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2018, 04:14:21 PM »
...I did enjoy the racing in general although the blue flags for most of the race were a bit tedious....

I wonder if there is a setting somewhere where this can be addressed. I actually found that blue flags came on way too early (when being lapped) and it was time consuming trying to work out which car was about to lap you with a competator following right behind. However, when I was the lapping car I also found some people were bloody slow to acknowledge and know several times I lost a lot of ground to the car chasing me because I was slowed by a Sauber which would blow me away down the straights, but slow me down in the corners....

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2018, 07:08:00 PM »
I don't know if there's someone picking the Merc who's made his decision based on the quicker refueling times, but if not and they don't have a problem with it, it may be a good thing to adjust that and make the refueling speed the same, if it's possible at all. What's happening there with filling them up is just ridiculous.
I wouldn't be surprised if most or even all Merc drivers weren't aware of that when making their choices. I didn't check that anyway.
So in this case adjusting it in order to get at least a little bit of a level playing field would make the series a bit more interesting...whatever, I can see it as a fun run kind of thing as well, no probs.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2018, 08:34:37 PM »
I don't know if there's someone picking the Merc who's made his decision based on the quicker refueling times, but if not and they don't have a problem with it, it may be a good thing to adjust that and make the refueling speed the same, if it's possible at all. What's happening there with filling them up is just ridiculous.
I wouldn't be surprised if most or even all Merc drivers weren't aware of that when making their choices. I didn't check that anyway.
So in this case adjusting it in order to get at least a little bit of a level playing field would make the series a bit more interesting...whatever, I can see it as a fun run kind of thing as well, no probs.
What I might do, if people think one cars sucks or what not (although you can't judge after one atypical circuit), is allow people to switch cars at the season half way point, at the cost of say 5 championship points.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2018, 10:33:52 PM »
I must stop drinking vino during dinner and through practice and qual....at the moment its out of hand....
See you at Sebring....Sebring,Daytona,all Iracing tracks   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hey Istvan how r you?  All good? 

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2018, 10:34:16 PM »
Yeah, we'll see how this turns out. It seems to be a minute especially the shorties lose per race on the C9's on a 2-stopper just because of that.
We are a little bit better off as we don't need as much fuel as the guys in the short tails...and I don't have any hopes to win this anyway  :)
I understand you've tried all the tracks (I only know a few) so you can assess this better than me.
Unfortunately I really struggled with the turbos so I'm still happy with my choice anyway.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2018, 10:53:19 PM »
I'm still happy with the Shorty, hoping it shines on other tracks.  Rather than swapping, I prefer to give some restrictor back to the shorties and restrict the C9 . . . if it continues to be unbalanced!

Update: Doing a bit more math, at Daytona the C9 effectively gained two seconds per lap (2 stops at 38 sec gain each/ 38 lap race) thanks to the fill time difference.  Therefore if it was restricted enough to negate that then problem solved. . . . I think!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 11:35:58 PM by Freezer »

Offline bradc

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2018, 11:05:54 PM »
I don't know if there's someone picking the Merc who's made his decision based on the quicker refueling times, but if not and they don't have a problem with it, it may be a good thing to adjust that and make the refueling speed the same, if it's possible at all. What's happening there with filling them up is just ridiculous......

Spot on, I must admit I expected to see myself get closer to the C9 I was chasing when it came to Pitstop’s as I knew I was going to need lesss fuel but this explains why that never happened. I can’t imagine anyone knowing this prior to racing and hopefully there is somewhere where the clever people can manipulate this bug as to be fair to everyone because regardless of the consumption the cars should be fueled up at the same rate of Ltrs/sec.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2018, 07:43:32 AM »
I will experiment a bit and see if a little bit of restrictor on the C9 can compensate for the quicker refuelling time. But man, it's a delicate balancing act. Who's fool idea was it to have a multi-make season?
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2018, 08:17:47 AM »
I will experiment a bit and see if a little bit of restrictor on the C9 can compensate for the quicker refuelling time. But man, it's a delicate balancing act. Who's fool idea was it to have a multi-make season?
Ahahahaha!!! To be honest, Wally, I am pretty much in favour of simple, single make series, if you ask me. But I also don't care: it was fun like it was and we can keep going exactly like this for a season.

Race recap:
After a little messy start (see penalty) I went for a long run on my hard tires. All good, with Seanus gifting me a place when he went long on T1 towards minute 50.
Towards the 35 minutes mark I was following Jeremy and Matthew on same machine, but who were on worn out soft and medium tires. Could not pass, so I pit to undercut them on fresh tires. It worked very well. At the 15 minutes mark I was following Keith on a C9. I was marginally faster on the lap (it seemed, since I gained a few seconds in the past few laps) but had no chance to attack a C9. So, again, I went for the undercut. Put on some mediums (which were the option for me, so to speak) and did 3 laps pushing the turbo to 100% in the straights and 90% on some other bits of the circuit. I was so sure of my strategy. I thought: he has no chance, the poor man.... I never saw Keith anymore ;) I was sure: he's goign to pit at some point. He'll have to. Little I knew he had pitted already. It was confusing, but who cares. It's for fun.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2018, 08:27:32 AM »
but who cares. It's for fun.

Are you the same Grat?  ;D ;D

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2018, 08:34:46 AM »
I must stop drinking vino during dinner and through practice and qual....at the moment its out of hand....
See you at Sebring....Sebring,Daytona,all Iracing tracks   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hey Istvan how r you?  All good? 

I'm jolly fine, thanks, how about you?  I usually drink beer during the praccy period to calm my nerves; I've found it improves my driving. :)

Wally; I love the mulit-makes, I always did.  Everyone can drive something that suits their style.   But I guess in GTL the cars were set, all we had to do is select a bunch of varied tracks, then we did the rental sys, which only needed to be balanced once.  Here, the issue is a bit trickier, too many variables.   But you're doing a helluva job there.   

I'll be honest, I'd have chosen a faster car (longtail, most like), but I simply can't expect to keep it on the road as is, and I do not want to become a public menace.   I'm very rusty & struggling even with the short tail.

Btw did I give you a tap just before T1 in this race?   I kinda missed the clue that T1 is coming up and was surprised by your quick direction change & braking.  I've subsequently stomped on the brakes and not sure if I kissed your arse or not...

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2018, 08:48:11 AM »
but who cares. It's for fun.

Are you the same Grat?  ;D ;D
Ahahah!

I love to argue, Joe. But in the end I just like to have a good race. I don't like when it all becomes a matter of luck or messy crashes (and often it does) and I do not like when we make so many artificaial rules that ruin the driving experience (like huge ballasts on single seaters). But as long as I can feel like I am racing, I am ok. So Tuesday night it was fun: I felt I knew what I was doing, I knew consistency and rhythm was the key, and had a pair of close and tough exchanges with Jeremy, but without consequences. It was fun to think "hell, I am going to pit early and do 3 hotlaps, so I get him". That's the important part. The fact it did not work because the C9 runs on plutonium... well, I could not predict that, so it was fun.

Sure: next race it may be less fun, as if I am fighting with a C9 I am not going to try to undercut/overcut/pass it. I'll just hope it crashes ;)

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2018, 08:49:56 AM »
Maybe we can add a new rule; if you're being lapped by a C9 (especially kcender), you're allowed to try and take that car out?  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal