Xtreme Gaming Network

F1 2019

Author Topic: F1 2019  (Read 35116 times)

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
F1 2019
« on: December 12, 2018, 11:50:49 AM »

Quite aside from the doubts of the watching world, we can be reasonably sure that part of Daniel Ricciardo’s mind is still not entirely sure he’s done the right thing in leaving Red Bull for Renault.

In the immediate aftermath, he will almost certainly be surrendering significant performance. Regardless of Renault’s long-term prospects, it would be an immense achievement if it could make up what was often a lap’s-worth of performance on Red Bull from one year to the next. But on the other hand it gets Daniel out of further direct comparison with Max Verstappen, who is only going to improve his all-round game further and who will become ever-further embedded within the team. It was always going to be difficult to counter that and for Ricciardo to retain his number one credentials rather than fall into a support driver role. That’s something for which he is not wired up.

Things might just go from bad to worse for the big retainer star

But Ricciardo’s new frame of reference, Nico Hülkenberg, is hardly going to be a pushover. Hulk’s fresh off a season in which he emerged ahead - in both qualifying and race - of Carlos Sainz. These comparisons shouldn’t be given absolute authority regarding the respective levels of team-mates because there are so many variables. It was telling, for example, not long after Sainz first joined Renault at the tail end of 2017 that Hülkenberg, having had a chance to study the telemetry, was saying privately that he was confident he would prevail over Sainz because the Spaniard’s driving style, which was very different to his own, would not be suited to the traits of the cars that Enstone was producing and developing.

Sainz was saying much the same in Abu Dhabi a couple of weeks ago prior to his final race for the team – that there was a trait in the car that gave it an inherent imbalance when he tried driving it the way he naturally wanted to, that its rear instability often prevented him squeezing the last couple of tenths from himself.

Related:

"Renault is trying to fly first-class but paying cattle-class rates"
    MPH: Vettel, Leclerc and Ferrari’s power struggle
    Kevin Magnussen: Robust, ruthless and uncompromising

Sainz is a driver very much at ease with oversteer and who spends some of his free time driving rally cars on loose surfaces around the Sainz family’s private track. At Toro Rosso he was frequently to be seen in the practices rescuing the car from wild angles, just establishing the limits, prior to tidying it all up for qualifying, where he was nip and tuck as quick as Max Verstappen.

So why this need for rear stability? The Toro Rosso was a more forgiving car in which he felt comfortable committing to high entry speeds, in the knowledge that he could lean against the initial shallow understeer, which would then give the building oversteer a nice progressive feel. The Renault had a higher grip level but was more edgy, in part as a consequence of its difficulty in combining the relatively softly-sprung rear end a high-rake car requires with good rear ride height and suspension control.

Hülkenberg, a driver who revels in reflex saves, using less initial steering lock, earlier braking, using the brakes to help more with weight transfer, was more at ease with the general instability of the car. Of course a driver can adapt once he understands – and Sainz did. But those last few grams of speed are always going to come easier and more consistently when you are not consciously going against your natural instincts, which are determined by the way the driver is wired up physiologically.   

In other words, it’s more than feasible that a car with different traits would see the picture between the two drivers reversed. Hence why team-mate comparisons should always be treated with a healthy fudge factor.

Ricciardo, though, drives in a very similar style to Sainz. There’s a lovely flowing momentum to the way he carries the speed and controls the slide – but that’s in a Red Bull that combines heaps of rear grip with a beautifully benign handling balance. Who’s to say that he’s doing this to a higher level than Sainz or Hülkenberg, two drivers who’ve never found themselves in a car as good as a Red Bull (although the rookie Sainz lapped a Red Bull faster than Sebastian Vettel in a Silverstone test 2014)?

How Renault progresses with its general car traits between RS18 and RS19 will likely play a huge part in determining how Ricciardo stacks up against Hülkenberg. If the new car still has the ghost of the RS18’s traits inbuilt, things might just go from bad to worse for the big retainer star.

He’s a remarkable competitor and good enough to work through such difficulties – but he can be under no illusions that he’s automatically going to establish himself as the team’s number one.
social media is the tobacco of this century

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
Re: F1 2019
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 04:07:14 PM »
Should be an awesome opening race with so many driver changes
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 12:05:50 PM »
F1 2018 summary from ARSE forum.

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 01:57:09 PM »
This could be good

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 07:08:03 PM »
yeah, I think I might watch it

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 07:44:37 AM »

Carlos Sainz (McLaren, 1:17.144, 130 laps)
Sergio Perez (Racing Point, 1:17.848, 88 laps)
Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari, 1:18.195, 40 laps)
Kimi Raikkonen (Alfa Romeo, 1:18.209, 113 laps)
Romain Grosjean (Haas, 1:18.330, 120 laps)
Max Verstappen (Red Bull, 1:18.395, 128 laps)
Daniil Kvyat (Toro Rosso, 1:18.682, 101 laps)
Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes, 1:18.941, 74 laps)
Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes, 1:18.943, 102 laps)
Nico Hulkenberg (Renault, 1:19.056, 58 laps)
Robert Kubica (Williams, 1:19.367, 130 laps)
Daniel Ricciardo (Renault, 1:22.597, 72 laps)

No time - Charles Leclerc (Ferrari, 1 lap)

Tyres

Sainz, Perez, Raikkonen and Kubica C4 (second softest)
Grosjean C5 (softest)
Ricciardo C2 (second hardest)
Everyone else C3 (medium)

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 02:16:59 PM »
cant believe its so close to going again, 

I hope we can have a mini xgn catchup and have a beer and a meal one evening, or at least a catchup at the track sometime, no doubt I will see rooshooter bit staying in the same hotel.

If anyone is interested post in here maybe so we know who to share mobile numbers with

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 02:22:30 PM »
I'll be there.

2+2=√16

Offline ab156

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 02:37:13 PM »
I'll be there - all four days  8)

Bringing my old man down for Sat and Sun so won't be moving around too much on those days but catchup on Thursday or Friday would be good.

Also off to China (first time) and Silverstone (5th time) this year and of course you can never rule out Singapore until the week of the race....

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 02:56:16 PM »
I will arrive Thursday afternoon, may I suggest we PM our Mobile numbers to facilitate a catchup on Friday evening 8). Really looking forward  to this now :).
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 04:29:24 PM by rooshooter »

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2019, 03:07:29 PM »
I will arrive Thursday afternoon, may I suggest we PM our Mobile numbers to faciltiate a catchup on Friday evening 8). Really looking forward  to this now :).

sounds good,  I think you have mine roo, but will send it again just in case

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2019, 03:10:51 PM »
I'll be there - all four days  8)

Bringing my old man down for Sat and Sun so won't be moving around too much on those days but catchup on Thursday or Friday would be good.

Also off to China (first time) and Silverstone (5th time) this year and of course you can never rule out Singapore until the week of the race....

China will be interesting, would like to visit there,  we are thinking about Singapore this year, well I am, wife is thinking Maldives and wives generally win out in these situations  ;D  but the way the year is going and we have weddings to go to in different parts of Australia throughout the year I cant see us making it anywhere over seas :(

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2019, 03:35:13 PM »
I will arrive Thursday afternoon, may I suggest we PM our Mobile numbers to faciltiate a catchup on Friday evening 8). Really looking forward  to this now :).

sounds good,  I think you have mine roo, but will send it again just in case
Thanks Phil I have sent mine also.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2019, 08:36:22 PM »

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2019, 06:48:34 AM »