Xtreme Gaming Network

Practice server - free Amazon period is running out

Author Topic: Practice server - free Amazon period is running out  (Read 28532 times)

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: Practice server - free Amazon period is running out
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 11:27:15 AM »
I work for Bulletproof Networks. We have our own VPC in Sydney. I can find out how much we can host a server for if you want. I asked about it before and was told they'd give it to me at whatever it costs to run due to being an employee. Just need to know specs and bandwidth.
Doesn't need massive amounts of CPU or RAM. The bandwidth is the main thing. The Tuesday night server is 500 mbps up and down, and we still see warping. The stability and latency of the connection is really important.

I think the warping is still client side if everyone warps then its a server issue but this hasnt happened in a long time since the issues with flow control were around in AC server.

My offer still stands (even if it seems unwanted  ;D) I can run 5 servers off my instance its prepaid anyway so I keep it up always. The practice server never gets real busy and if it was to use my regular servers pass there may be more people to run with and possibly boost the pass servers usage.

Mostly just the open servers get busy but id rather the pass servers get busier as the racing is always better. Also after every steam sale there seems to be so many muppets turn up, I tried to have an open server at Monza in the laferrari. All the first timers that joined couldnt make a single corner and factory aids were available so I had to password it pretty quick.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2015, 12:30:13 PM »
I'm all for your offer, Marty. See my earlier post about the server name.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2015, 12:39:13 PM »
That would be great Marty. I really only put a password on it to keep my data costs down, because although the server was free, I was starting to creep over the free data quota.

It would be good if you could call it ”XGN.com.au Practice”, because it's good advertising. Put your name in there somewhere too if you want, so your guys know they can use your server password.

Maybe I need to learn to read all posts somehow missed that one. I can do that easily, is it needed already this week?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2015, 06:25:33 PM »
That would be great Marty. I really only put a password on it to keep my data costs down, because although the server was free, I was starting to creep over the free data quota.

It would be good if you could call it ”XGN.com.au Practice”, because it's good advertising. Put your name in there somewhere too if you want, so your guys know they can use your server password.

Maybe I need to learn to read all posts somehow missed that one. I can do that easily, is it needed already this week?

No, I'm using up the last free week of my own for MAM. Thanks.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2015, 09:42:40 AM »
I realise this is a Tuesday thread (and like Marty may have missed some postings/logic) but I would like to sort out what we need for Thursdays.

I have 2 weeks left on my free, I have checked with my chief, and

I could use another card
one generous member (who I haven't asked permission to name) has offered to put in $100 (ie 1/3rd for a 3 year prepurchase t2.small)
I happy to add/match that (or if need be put more in), but

do we need it?
Is the room in the current solution suggestions to accommodate Thursday prac and race?
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2015, 10:55:10 PM »
Ive been using the t2 small for my server and have been running it at 20hz with 5 servers and no issues, probably only about 30 people on max at one time still but cpu load has never got above 40% just bandwidth may spike but it had no issues the last 2 weeks after I fixed some issues with the instance maxing cpu load due to some win update issue.

For next week I will start up the practice server using xgn.com.au at the start of the name but using my pass server so others with my pass can also jump in.

Keeping it fully open just makes it messy at times and people dont want to have to practice with random muppets but most regulars on my servers are fine and some may jump on here if they run with more of you guys.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 10:58:36 PM by marty »

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2015, 11:40:20 PM »
I have a free server running. I created it a couple of months ago to test that web app I wrote. It's running and actually gets quite a bit of use, but I'm happy for it to be used as one of the Thursday servers if needed.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2015, 11:46:36 PM »

I have a free server running. I created it a couple of months ago to test that web app I wrote. It's running and actually gets quite a bit of use, but I'm happy for it to be used as one of the Thursday servers if needed.
Which server is that?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2015, 07:19:39 AM »
Keeping it fully open just makes it messy at times and people dont want to have to practice with random muppets but most regulars on my servers are fine and some may jump on here if they run with more of you guys.
Yep, that's a plan.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2015, 09:02:15 AM »

Which server is that?

It's currently called Kernow Bys Vyken. Just one of the AWS free instances. If you want to use it as a Thursday server happy to rename it and give you a password.

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2015, 01:39:05 PM »
Yep, that's a plan.
That's the plan for Tuesdays?

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2015, 01:44:33 PM »

Which server is that?

It's currently called Kernow Bys Vyken. Just one of the AWS free instances. If you want to use it as a Thursday server happy to rename it and give you a password.

Thanks Joe, that looks like a good plan for the Thursday night events, especially since Marty has commented that he is experiencing very good results with multiples and a high number of users.

Joe could you put together a log in for an instance on your machine please, zipping up the old server as I type.
This will save money, many thanks to the generous offer from a regular Thursday runner, and use what we have for free, while it is available.
thanks Joe.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2015, 01:48:36 PM »
guys, just keep an eye on Marty is using a small instance (as I read), which is NOT FREE TIER.
You are getting a micro as free tier.

It may still work, just keep this in mind. The main difference is Memory 1GB vs 2GB
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 01:53:43 PM by Bird »

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2015, 01:52:54 PM »
Yes the free tier Micro is ok for lower hz single servers with maybe up to 20 drivers, I havent used that for a while but for a practice server or Thursday nite server its fine and you can get it up for 12months at no cost.

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2015, 02:38:10 PM »
okay, miss read, didn't take enough notice :)
If numbers stay small, micro is okay... now thinking...

use Joe's Free server for Thursday's 24/7 practice server +  use a t2.small for race nights to always be able to accommodate greater numbers @ ~10/month ($360 for 3 years)
or
3 years upfront payment for a t2.small to run both practice and racenight (and anything else, ie Tuesday backup, Dirt Rally, rFactor...) at $303 for 3 years...

think I am leaning towards the latter again.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal