Xtreme Gaming Network

Round 3: Mugello Race Chat

Author Topic: Round 3: Mugello Race Chat  (Read 72867 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Round 3: Mugello Race Chat
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2014, 11:23:45 AM »
Far out Guybrush, I've just seen on RSR rank that you're #6 in the world! Well done.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2014, 11:46:57 AM »
Cheers Wally.  Still a ways off the top though :)

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2014, 12:30:56 PM »
I can't drive GB's setup. I find it too easy to oversteer, and with the damn insta-death kerbs, I'm struggling to keep it on track. And when I try to hold it flat where GB does, I understeer off. I am on hards though... I'm looking for a race setup, not a hotlap setup.

Going flat through t6 I can do but lifting for me is safer and not much slower. If you clip the inside kerb it is death there as are many but I remember seeing an onboard video from a real tatuus akd they avoid the kerbs mostly. I will try and find it but havent been able to. If you watch the highlights in the first post you can see they avoid the kerbs mostly but some you can use and some you cant use too much.

Race wise I find that setup with more wing pretty good, just if going flat through sections you need to be very precise. I did 12 laps on hards at pretty good pace without issues but its just a tricky track as it needs lots of commitment and precision with very little room for error line wise.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2014, 12:54:28 PM »
I have found another onboard video here tbough its a little slow. Time of about 1:50 he is using a bit of kerb here mahbe a little more then I use in a couple spots.

[youtube]b_7nNujWE6g[/youtube]

I suspect they only run hard tyres only and have heard they only get very limited tyres for the full race weekend. Lap times from 2013 were 1:47 the quickest I saw but site is in italian and I didnt check all qually and race sessions. They arent racing at Mugello this year, its quite likely drag is a little low on the AC version still as going higher df works quite well at mugello but running much lower downforce the real times are closer to what is possible in AC.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2014, 01:38:28 PM »
I have put these up on my server for a 12 min qualy and race if anyone wants to have some practice races, cant remember how many laps I made it I think 7 or 8 just long enough to maybe make people run the hard tyres.

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2014, 02:36:20 PM »
He definitely takes more curb than you can in AC, despite the setup.

I think a lot of the curbs in AC cause too great a disturbance in balance of the car and straight line speed.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2014, 02:44:54 PM »
He definitely takes more curb than you can in AC, despite the setup.

I think a lot of the curbs in AC cause too great a disturbance in balance of the car and straight line speed.
Agree. That's how I would like to drive - i.e. with that amount of kerb, but you can't.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2014, 08:39:14 PM »
Here is one of the races on my server earlier between Gubrush, me and another guy with a great last lap battle where I ended up 3rd only .054 behind Guybrush who won the race so s rather close 3 way finish.  ;)

Guybrush was testing out Ballast by running a full tank over the 8 lap race and I just ran enough for 12 laps here with this being the final lap.

[youtube]OhlNEwcO70U[/youtube]

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2014, 10:03:26 PM »
Nice one. Yeah, there are ways of simulating ballast, but I'd prefer something that can be enforced on the server.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2014, 09:23:04 AM »
Is anyone else getting stuck in the sand traps at Mugello? Or am I the only one spinning off into them :) Appears that if I go off into a sand trap in the race then my race is over :(

Offline Dick Forrest

• Contains traces of nuts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2014, 09:50:32 AM »
Is anyone else getting stuck in the sand traps at Mugello? Or am I the only one spinning off into them :) Appears that if I go off into a sand trap in the race then my race is over :(

I guess you're using guybrush's set up?
His set up actually has the floor pan about 2 inches lower than the contact point of his tyres

I was bottoming out yesterday on other people's tyre marks. ..
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 09:54:33 AM by Dick Forrest »

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2014, 10:43:58 AM »
Yeah his secret is the HUGE contact patch given by the undertray, that's why he can take corners flat out...

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2014, 10:51:05 AM »
Yep. Guybrush's set - the one with the removable wheels :) With my quadraphonic sound system I can hear which end is scraping!

Thanks GB for another great setup! The first version was fast but the latest one is now very controllable as well.

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2014, 10:55:18 AM »
The under tray is made of rubber right?...

I get beached if I go into a sand trap and stop, which is often the case in real life with these things.

If you stay off most of the curbs and take certain lines it shouldn't be a problem.  The places where you will bottom out are anything other than the inside of corners 8 and 9, and the outside of the last corner.  It should be fine everywhere else.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2014, 11:14:11 AM »
Just out of interest, have you tried raising the set by a few millimeters to see if it makes any real difference in handling?  I found that raising both ends by about 20 ticks (millimeters I think) Will alleviate the issue greatly.   But I'm not good enough to tell if the handling is really changed or not.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 11:16:58 AM by Bird »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal