Xtreme Gaming Network

S25R1: SunBank 24 at Daytona Road Course

Author Topic: S25R1: SunBank 24 at Daytona Road Course  (Read 62166 times)

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: S25R1: SunBank 24 at Daytona Road Course
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2018, 12:15:49 AM »
Just me or were the Merc fuel fill pipe a bit oversized?

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2018, 07:13:11 AM »
I just watched again, and in my judgement, the penalty stands. You came from a fair way back behind Keith, who was on the racing line past the apex by that stage (and not zig-zagging by any stretch of the imagination!), and you put the power down from the apex and ran into the back corner of Keith. The side by side rule for the opening corners is primarily to stop people from moving sideways across the track into the unsighted car next to them. You had plenty of visibility of where Keith was and what he was doing, and you could also argue that where you hit was turn 4, not 2 ;)
:)

Also, notice that I'm going to do opening lap penalties as a 15 second post-race time penalty for the next round instead of ballast. It's just too hard to find a fair amount of ballast for each of the 4 cars that fairly penalises them all.
:) (or grid penalties, F1 style ;))

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2018, 07:31:14 AM »
That would have been a boring, but ok race.   I was hotlapping pretty much the whole time.  Except when some 15 minutes to go got taken out by a UFO.  Fuck kunos, truly, for not being able to fix the netcode after years and years of this thing out on the market.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2018, 07:55:39 AM »
Pretty $#&#$#& race for me. After going 1 then 2 laps down because of a track bug I was showing last and ended up having no idea what position I was really in, getting blue flagged for everyone behind me. It ended up being pretty lonely anyway, except for waving to the cars that were lapping me.

Sorry for getting in the way of a Merc at some stage in the first sequence of turns (Seanus, maybe). I just didn't realise a couple of Mercs were behind me.

I had far too many spins, at turn 1 and the bus stop. I have to try to make the setup more consistent for Sebring.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2018, 09:36:53 AM »
Was a fun race for me. It's more because I like the track, competition was a bit rare. I think I haven't seen a single short tail during the race and the LT's and Merc's were racing in their own leagues. However, there was a bit close racing with Phil, which was good.
Lighting conditions in quali have made it very hard for me to see the chicane on the back straight...first time I went through there I just couldn't see this fucker...was blind and that had an effect on my braking of course. Someone ran into me and that caused a bit of a mess there.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2018, 10:00:57 AM »
Given the speed differences the race worked out pretty well for me.  I had a goal of top 10 hoping that the fast cars would spin off/have issues . . and a few did.
I found myself around a few long tails in the first half of the race which was tricky as they were quicker in the straights but would hold me up in the bends.
I had Russg pretty close behind for most of the race, I could pull a bit of a gap but he kept reappearing after the stops which was confusing, but I later realised
i had taken a bit extra fuel than necessary.  Short Tail was rock solid consistent, and I'm pretty confident now that on tighter tracks it will be strong competitor.
Finished 11th and team mate Mael in 4th for a good season start for Maki Engineering :)

Note: Interesting to see how long it took to fuel, almost had time to go get a drink!!
Update: I see the Porsches/Mazda refill 50L in 30 sec, whereas the Merc does it in 11.  Big difference!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 10:21:53 AM by Freezer »

Offline doobs

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2018, 10:07:28 AM »
I joined the server just as qualifying finished with no practice, no laps, no Daytona setup and I chose to use the one that worked well at Spa.......It did not here, and the race went as expected. I'm looking forward to the next race when I can get some practice.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2018, 11:08:29 AM »
First 15-20 mins were okay with some position swapping with Freezer but after my first stop I was pretty much alone for the rest of the race. Time to fuel will definitely need to come into strategy for the future races. Before my last stop I was catching Phil by a second a lap and only 5 seconds behind him, but because he put in a lot less fuel than me on his final stop he finished 30+ secs ahead.

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2018, 12:18:18 PM »

Note: Interesting to see how long it took to fuel, almost had time to go get a drink!!
Update: I see the Porsches/Mazda refill 50L in 30 sec, whereas the Merc does it in 11.  Big difference!

I wasn't aware of that. It seems there's no chance of compensating that drawback...doesn't matter what track you're on. How do you want to make up 40-60 sec a race on track on a Merc on a 2-stopper? I filled up 71l twice during this race...that's almost a minute lost. Stupid me.
Smart choice for the guys picking the C9...congrats :-)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 12:22:47 PM by killagorilla »

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2018, 12:22:00 PM »
First 15-20 mins were okay with some position swapping with Freezer but after my first stop I was pretty much alone for the rest of the race. Time to fuel will definitely need to come into strategy for the future races. Before my last stop I was catching Phil by a second a lap and only 5 seconds behind him, but because he put in a lot less fuel than me on his final stop he finished 30+ secs ahead.
I just manually time those stops to check, but that means 38sec difference per 100L tank.  Not sure about fuel consumption differences which may or may not bring the Merc back to us.

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2018, 12:33:12 PM »
I just manually time those stops to check, but that means 38sec difference per 100L tank.  Not sure about fuel consumption differences which may or may not bring the Merc back to us.

I hope the tricky handling may bring the Merc back to us on other tracks. Daytona did not really have any difficult corners to test the handling. Even the chicane was pretty tame.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2018, 12:48:09 PM »
Well, I'd say the odds are stacked against the short tail more than one way now;  grunt, fuel consumption & refill time.   
The only thing it has is handling, which is nice, but I don't think it'll be anywhere close to competitive with all the above.  Oh well.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2018, 01:03:00 PM »
Just treat it as fun runs like I am, Kcender has already won the season, but will have some lonely hot lapping races, where as the rest of us will have some fun close racing as the season goes on if last night is anything to go by
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2018, 01:13:58 PM »
Just treat it as fun runs like I am, Kcender has already won the season, but will have some lonely hot lapping races, where as the rest of us will have some fun close racing as the season goes on if last night is anything to go by

Won't go that far, besides if Kcender wins by 60s again he might find a rather overweight passenger courtesy of Wally.  ;D

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2018, 01:18:23 PM »
I did not expect to win, nor even be near to the podium after such a long break and with minimal praccy, nevermind that :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal