Xtreme Gaming Network

Win 10 defer upgrades

Author Topic: Win 10 defer upgrades  (Read 9041 times)

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 09:06:29 PM by buellersdayoff »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Win 10 defer upgrades
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 09:04:24 PM »
I have tried this one:

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2015/08/enable-metered-connection-to-delay-windows-10-updates/

I am able to set my ethernet connection to metered, despite what the article says.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 09:28:26 PM »
I have tried this one:

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2015/08/enable-metered-connection-to-delay-windows-10-updates/

I am able to set my ethernet connection to metered, despite what the article says.

I did this months ago when I was trying to figure out why I got ping spikes. My updates got so out of date though I disabled it which got the first creators update and broke stuff  ;D

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 10:09:02 PM »
These tips are good, I did everything except the reset pc at the beginning of the video.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 12:03:04 PM »
Setting your connection to metred definitely works. I just got a message in Windows along the lines of "Fall Creator's Update is ready to download but we'll download it when you're not on a metred connection".
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline RussG

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 03:41:49 PM »
I just get notified when updates are available and then I can choose whether to install them or leave them for later. So if it's a race day I won't install any updates.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/make-windows-10-notify-you-before-downloading-or-installing-windows-updates

Some days you're the pigeon,
Some days you're the statue ...

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 11:16:28 PM »
Just silently got the W10 update and all appears well.

Interesting on the task manager - it now has GPU performance graphs which could be interesting to check out while AC is running.

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 06:22:41 AM »

Interesting on the task manager - it now has GPU performance graphs which could be interesting to check out while AC is running.
Still got it with a metered connection? Msi afterburner for performance monitoring and custom fan curve

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 07:18:10 AM »

Still got it with a metered connection? Msi afterburner for performance monitoring and custom fan curve
My son was on the PC earlier and I think he accepted a prompt asking whether to install it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal