Xtreme Gaming Network

Race start using clutch...when to engage gear etc.

Author Topic: Race start using clutch...when to engage gear etc.  (Read 7960 times)

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
Race start using clutch...when to engage gear etc.
« on: November 22, 2018, 09:25:22 AM »
I find my starts are probably average at best. What I do at starts is, car in neutral, left foot on the brake, right one on throttle keeping revs up when the lights come on.
When the lights go off I engage 1st gear and take the foot off the brake...no clutch involved. Is that what everyone is doing?
Can you engage 1st gear having your foot on the clutch before the lights go off? I checked the Mazda 787 and it seems it doesn't even start rolling on a hill when having your foot off the brake but one on the clutch. So it seems you don't need the brake and it's possible having 1st gear in and one foot on the clutch and one on throttle.
Cheers

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
Re: Race start using clutch...when to engage gear etc.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 11:03:39 AM »
I always start in gear, with cluch, it's definitely working.  The car may roll, though.   So keep your right on the brake until the last of lights to avoid false starts.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 11:35:04 AM »
I too start in gear, with clutch depressed. I don't brake before the lights, and I don't think I have ever rolled.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 12:48:14 PM »
I too start in gear, with clutch depressed. I don't brake before the lights, and I don't think I have ever rolled.

Hm...maybe I remember wrong?  Or maybe once you press the brake it disengages some auto-brake?  I'll try your method to be sure, but you'll have to get me off the hook if I get a false start :D

Offline Shayne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 12:59:33 PM »
I've never rolled forward and I never use the brake on the start. I just have my clutch in and get my revs up and when the lights go out then I drop the clutch. Depends on the car, some cars I ride the clutch a bit but I certainly never use the brake.

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 01:31:17 PM »
I always start in gear, with cluch, it's definitely working.  The car may roll, though.   So keep your right on the brake until the last of lights to avoid false starts.

AC has a sort of automatic hand-brake at low speeds. it won't roll on the grid.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 01:33:21 PM »
It varies by car. Some cars with a built in auto-clutch can roll while in gear, if I remember correctly.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 02:55:48 PM »
Ok, thanks guys. I'll do that...will hopefully work a bit better.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2018, 07:45:15 PM »
I completely agree that clutch down, revving in gear is best. Clutch control is hard in AC, but if you find the biting point and let it go slowly it can help a lot on cold tires.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal