Xtreme Gaming Network

Racing Cockpit

Author Topic: Racing Cockpit  (Read 52089 times)

Offline Joe

• View Profile
Re: Racing Cockpit
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2019, 01:56:22 PM »
I thought this was GB's setup

;D

Thanks for bringing this thread back to the top Bird...  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :o

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2023, 12:00:46 PM »
Hi all.

With AC2 hopefully around the corner + VR starting to hit its strides, I'm looking at getting a cockpit so I can get back into a bit of racing fun... once bitten by the sim racing bug, it's always in your blood :)

Last time I made the mistake of upgrading to Fanatic stiff spring brake pedals on my old fold away frame and suffered with the whole thing rotating forward when I would brake.

So my plan is to upgrade my cockpit and monitor for now - hopefully taking advantage of any Black Friday deals still about - but use my existing PC and just run AC.  Then later in 2024 look at pumping some cash into a 4090 GPU + VR + Direct Drive wheel (very surprised that DD has become common place so quickly compared to only a few years ago).

I want to setup the cockpit for primarily racing, but would also eventually like to add a flight sim throttle, stick and maybe rudder pedals if I can't use racing pedals.

Just wondering if anyone has any feedback on the following:
* Trak Racer TR120 aluminium cockpit
* Trak Racer reclining seat + sliding mechanism
* Trak Racer shifter plate
* Trak Racer large freestanding monitor stand

https://trakracer.com.au/products/tr120-racing-simulator-1

Trak Racer have a few different wheel plates and pedal plates - I'm not sure which would be best.

One of my concerns is that I'll only get a single monitor aluminium stand at the moment, but should I wish to go the way of triples, their add-on beams for the outside screens don't have their own floor supports - they just hook onto the single screen stand.  Thinking that there is bound to be some monitor sag this way, and should I look at something else?

Any ideas on a monitor?  Looking at something a bit bigger that won't cost a bomb.

Thanks again :)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2023, 04:38:02 PM »
Hi GB, good to hear from you. Bradc has some Trak gear I believe, and had some challenges. You might want to have a chat with him.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2023, 10:57:36 PM »
Thanks Wally, will do.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2023, 11:06:15 PM »
Hey GB!

I quite recently upgraded to a Trak Racer and CSL DD.

I went with the TR80; didn't personally see the need for the 120. The 80 is super solid and comes with the shifter mount included. I also got the reclining seat and the free standing monitor stand. The seat is okay, nothing too special but it does the job. The monitor stand is super solid so don't worry about the sides sagging. I also just got triple 32" Samsung G5's and they line up prefectly. I got the older 144hz model which was on sale for $309 each a couple of weeks ago.

Wheel plate just depends on what base you have. I got the side mounted Fanatec one for the CSL DD. Looks like their TR ONE wheel deck has the most flexibility if you wanted to mount an existing wheel and upgrade to DD later.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2023, 08:09:33 PM »
Brad says:

I didn’t until about a month ago. HRS has supplied me with what’s basically their TR160 with some new HRS gear. Its taken me a lot more than the 7hrs Trak suggest for the build and I’m still building it. I have been held up with QC issues with the TR seat which came with it and got a Sparco at the end of last week but when I got to the triple monitor stand my monitors didn’t fit so I’ve been waiting for some longer step down bolts to arrive. I think conservatively I’ve got another weekend to finish it but don’t have a spare one until in after Christmas so it will be bit and pieces where I can until it’s done.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2023, 08:45:51 PM »
Heya Joe!

That is pretty much exactly what I am looking at getting, although with the current sales the TR120 is only an extra $50 or something compared to the TR80 so I figured why not...

I'm tossing up between the "large" or "small" free standing monitor stand... I'm thinking that if my VR dream doesn't pan out I might just get some big bastard triples.  But then, is there any point getting mega big monitors if you have to run them in 4K x 3 for them not to look pixelated.  Sounds like it might be too much for the GPU.

And then the seat... was going to get the recliner but maybe I'm best just to get a decent office chair and attach it?

Thanks for the quote from Brad, Wally.  I've watched countless YT vids and all the aluminium rigs sounds like a pain to put together.  But once done, done.  The main reason I'm looking at aluminium rig is so I can attach other stuff like flight sim controls, swivel keyboard+mouse, etc.   I wonder whether Brad's monitors didn't fit the stand because he had "large" monitors but got a "small" stand?

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2023, 10:12:26 PM »
Have you tried VR before? It's cool but I wouldn't want to be doing race nights in VR.

The recliner seat is still fine I can't imagine an office chair will be any better, but you could spend more and get an actual race seat. The recliner seat was on sale when I got everything which is mainly why I went for it.

Offline bradc

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2023, 10:42:35 AM »
Heya Joe!

That is pretty much exactly what I am looking at getting, although with the current sales the TR120 is only an extra $50 or something compared to the TR80 so I figured why not...

I'm tossing up between the "large" or "small" free standing monitor stand... I'm thinking that if my VR dream doesn't pan out I might just get some big bastard triples.  But then, is there any point getting mega big monitors if you have to run them in 4K x 3 for them not to look pixelated.  Sounds like it might be too much for the GPU.

And then the seat... was going to get the recliner but maybe I'm best just to get a decent office chair and attach it?

Thanks for the quote from Brad, Wally.  I've watched countless YT vids and all the aluminium rigs sounds like a pain to put together.  But once done, done.  The main reason I'm looking at aluminium rig is so I can attach other stuff like flight sim controls, swivel keyboard+mouse, etc.   I wonder whether Brad's monitors didn't fit the stand because he had "large" monitors but got a "small" stand?

Hi there, the problem I had with my 27inch screens was more a screen issue because the back of my screens are not flat, more a cresent curve and different brackets moving from a Hyperstimulator setup to TR. Because the TR has a large flat plate to mount the screen I required a little more clearance which I didn't need with my older setup. I collected those bolts this morning so I will be able to show some pics soon....

As for the after 2 damaged TR ones, I went up to Racer Industries and bought a proper Sparco one.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2023, 02:09:29 PM »
Hi there, the problem I had with my 27inch screens was more a screen issue because the back of my screens are not flat, more a cresent curve and different brackets moving from a Hyperstimulator setup to TR. Because the TR has a large flat plate to mount the screen I required a little more clearance which I didn't need with my older setup. I collected those bolts this morning so I will be able to show some pics soon....

As for the after 2 damaged TR ones, I went up to Racer Industries and bought a proper Sparco one.

I had that same issue. Had to order some spacers.

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2023, 06:14:58 PM »
Thanks for the info guys, the back of my trusty old 27 inch monitor is pretty flat, so hopefully no issues, but if getting a curved monitor I'll keep that in mind.

The biggest issue now is trying to speak to Trak Racer about my order.  Tried calling them 5 times today, left a message, emailed over the weekend, messaged them on FB and still no response...

Hey Joe / Brad, I've added the racing seat to my order with Trak Racer and it says "seat bracket included", but do you know if I need to order the "seat slider" separately?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 09:14:17 PM by Guybrush Threepwood »

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2023, 08:19:48 AM »
Which seat did you go with? The recliner came with the the slide.

I did call them about my order and took a couple of times to get through. I waited over a week and it didn't get shipped, and when I called them it was because the seat in the colour I ordered wasn't in stock and they were waiting for new stock. They just switched the colour for me and shipped it all out next day, but I did wish they'd let me know sooner.

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2023, 08:50:53 AM »
Went with the recliner seat, but doesn't say the slider is included - just the bracket.  Will keep trying to call them as I need to find out if I can pickup on the weekend as well.

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2023, 08:47:39 PM »
I've pulled the trigger on the cockpit!  Thanks for the advice guys.
Now to convince wifey to let me clear out the study...

Hopefully will be up and racing with you all once again some time before Christmas :)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2023, 10:17:31 PM »
I've pulled the trigger on the cockpit!  Thanks for the advice guys.
Now to convince wifey to let me clear out the study...

Hopefully will be up and racing with you all once again some time before Christmas :)
Cool, we need someone who can beat Chris!
FYI, you'll find us more on Discord than the forum now, at https://discord.com/invite/Y5r3fgxxsP

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal