Xtreme Gaming Network

My track day vids

Author Topic: My track day vids  (Read 39920 times)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
Re: My track day vids
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2016, 10:37:07 PM »
Wet day at EC....

Well, I've bungled the recording on the track day.   So I've recorded 2 sessions, only, and one has some problem with the first lap, so here's all I got.

First session of the day from lap 2 (first lap does not work) on the new Nitto NT01's (semi slick...)

And this was the fourth session of the day, different (continental) tyres, which should be more suited in the wet.  There's a lap that's close to the best in this one, a 1:17, with a decent slide on exit out of T5 :)  That lap starts around 9:30 into the video.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2016, 05:56:10 PM »
Looks good.  I'd imagine driving in the wet is a lot more fun - a bit more sidewaysies?

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2016, 10:41:45 AM »
It's not really more fun, since you always worry about your car :)
A lot more slippery, obviously, and a bit scary at places; eg hitting T1 at high speed, or feeling the car squiggle quite a bit from around 180 on the wet bitumen...

A chap in the advanced group put his porsche in the wall in the 2nd run.  Those walls are pretty close.  If you hit the wet grass, it's essentially game over.
You have to nurse it out of the corners nearly every time.  You get very different grips on corners depending on a million factors. 

I did not dare to turn of the TC off (although it's in the more relaxed VSC sport mode, so I get a bit of leniency from it)

That bit of slide on the corner out?  The car saves my arse.  I'm not confident I could do it and/or not game enough to try just yet.    :)

Edit:
It's all very-very different from the in-game driving.  Very different.  It's your car, your body, there's only one big mistake you can make, no more.   Even just going over the curbs...in-game you don't give a fuck unless the car is totally upset.  Here?  I don't really want to go over them, it rattles everything in the car (driver included), feels really nasty.

Btw I'm starting to feel more differences to the in-game car.  I've driven in-game a bit yesterday in preparation to the tuesday track day on the Amaroo layout.   The in-game car is handling a bit more forgiving.   Eg the real one likes to understeer a lot more when off-throttle, so you need the proper amount of throttle to turn it around a corner.   

But what's really interesting is the dimensions of everything is different.  The walls seem much closer, yet the track seems a lot wider.  It's really different.

If you have a half-decent car (i.e. not a suv or a truck) & a track nearby, try it.  It's not that expensive and I think it's really worth it.  There are all kinds of cars out there as you can see.  The people are usually pretty careful around each other.  All you need is a car that can take a bit of hard driving.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 10:50:16 AM by Bird »

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2016, 10:58:04 AM »
I have a car that can be driven harder than any other car out there - it's the company car ;)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2016, 11:12:49 AM »
Good write up Bird.

The visual differences must come down to an incorrect or compromised in-game FOV.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2016, 11:45:02 AM »
Thanks.  Yeah, it could be a bit of a mind-game, too.   When you know it's your car, the walls cannot be far enough :D

I have a car that can be driven harder than any other car out there - it's the company car ;)

If there's no GPS on it... ;)   Whereabouts are you?  I'm sure there's a track nearby.
Just do it.  There's really no good reason to avoid it.  Only excuses.

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2016, 12:09:30 PM »
lol, I'm not sure it would be worth taking my little 4 cylinder Camry out.  I think the nearest track for me would be either Calder Park, Sandown or Phillip Island.  But they are still between 3 and 5 hours away :(

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2016, 02:03:25 PM »
Hm...ok, well, the next option is to hire a car. 
It's not that easy to find these options sometimes, but they exist, I'm sure, at every track.   On top of it, it can get a bit pricey, too.

I know what it feels like to be 3hrs away - that's when I go to Wakefield Park.   Bloody long drive !

Well, it seems your best option is: buy a Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ ! :D
I'm only half kidding, this car is a joy everywhere.  I'm smiling every time I drive it anywhere.  (except the freeway)
Just have another big ass car when you need to pick up a bigger package somewhere :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 02:08:10 PM by Bird »

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2016, 01:39:22 PM »
Another track day yesterday, at the Amaroo (south) circuit at EC.  Man, this track is twisty.
It was an ARDC members day (yes, I'm a member of the illustrious Aussie Racing Drivers Club, ha!). 
Very friendly, and a bit more relaxed atmosphere.  E.g. they didn't say there's no overtaking, they merely pointed out the places where it maybe done easiest, cleanest.  Everyone seemed to be a bit more experienced, too. 
There were all kinds of cars, again, from the renault clio, mx5, holden whatnot to a couple of GTRs and a Lambo Superleggera.  They were all happily sharing the track. 

A few images & a video to illustrate:

I've met Chris Reeves again, here who is racing 86s.  He just bought another 86 (red!) , which he'll prepare for a trackday hire car.  He was just having a bit of fun with it. All stock (including brakes!).
He was friggen sliding everywhere on the stock tyres.  Sadly I did not record a video of it, it was fun to hear & watch (for as much as the track was visible).   But then he put some semis on (Hankook ventus is his choice) and the car became very nice & poised, it behaved and of course got faster.
They've hand-timed his laps.

Yeah so the laptimes.  I've manaded to get in a high 1.08 in the first session.  Then asked Chris how he was doing on his stock car, he was in the 1.10.   That was really impressive already.  Then with the better tyres (stock size, btw) he managed to put in a 1.08.  Then a 1.07. 
He said there's an 06 in it, but he dared not push it too much because the brakes were fading really badly, he never knew if he'll still have them by the next corner! (I know the feeling).
That pissed me off that he beats me in his stock car, so I went all-out in the last session (or at least I thought I do, hehe) and I've managed a mid-1.07 too.   It turns out I need inspiration to really push it. :D

So while his car did not have a header & tune, or improved pads on it,  he still matched my time with ease.   I've asked him if he'd drive mine around to see what comes out of it but he said he'd rather not in case he bins it.   A shame, really, but understandable.

I had a good chase of an M3 in the first session - he was on Toyo Proxes, so the field was even (I was on the Nittos).  I've caught him and he could not shake me.  I was faster, no question.   He was next to me in the car park, and later noted how fast the 86 was.  Good times ;)   I love this car.

The fastest lap is in the last one, starts about here

I've seen a beautiful Caterham, too, he was leaving after the morning session.  I should have flipped out the phone for a photo.

It was a great day, except for my motion sickness which came in hard after the 2nd session - I had to take a Stemetil and miss the 3rd session to get back into the game.

Ok, so here are the driving videos in full, in case anyone is interested:

« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 02:04:22 PM by Bird »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2016, 01:49:06 PM »
Jeez, you're starting to sound like a pro.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2016, 02:02:40 PM »
Jeez, you're starting to sound like a pro.

Nah, very far from it.  Just mingling with the folks and having heaps of fun. :)
Again, anyone can do it with a half decent car.   Did you see that clio?  He had fun, too.

The car next to me in the car park was a gorgeous Nissan GTR (no photo, sorry).  Driven by a chap around 70.  He had fun, too, but he said it was a bit too much at his age, and left after two runs.  Still, he was there.

Any age, any car.  All you need is time.  And a bit of money ( this day cost me $80 in entry fee, plus a tank of fuel - although usual price for a track day is in the $200-$400 range )
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 02:08:27 PM by Bird »

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2016, 03:16:33 PM »
So freakin jealous Bird.  Would love to give that a shot one day - and one day I shall!

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2016, 09:07:45 AM »

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2016, 09:35:33 AM »
Thank you Bird, a really interesting report.  Certainly a fun and the track looks fun, without too much high speed sections.
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2016, 10:47:03 AM »
Thanks, Joe, some chap put a ferrari engine in it, too.  But just because you can do something does not mean you should :D
I'm not into engine swaps.  To be honest, I don't even want to turbo/supercharge it.

Bruce: yeah, it's a small twisty one.  Bloody twisty ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal