Xtreme Gaming Network

Happy Birthday PnG

Author Topic: Happy Birthday PnG  (Read 3357 times)

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Happy Birthday PnG
« on: September 30, 2017, 07:56:56 AM »
DucFreak

Cool Happy Birthday P&G (10 years anniversary!)
Back in 2006, some crazy guys formed a group to get the kind of racing simulation which many dreamed of but that no game-developer ever did, or will ever do, due to legal and logistic constraints with licenses and assets for commercial products.
There was a heavy background of Papyrus' GPL and SimBin's GTL within the group, which influenced things immensely. This last mentioned title was perfect as base of resources to materialize an idea into GTR2, the definitive platform of choice for this project.
This group of people formed a mod-team called 'GTL-Workshop', and the name chosen for the overall project was 'Power and Glory'.
The idea behind this project was to recreate the 1960s and 1970s racecars, as close as the group could, to the way they were in their glory days. Not "modern-historic" iterations but the legendary, iconic racers of that period. It was to be free to download and, later, to become as an "expansion" for GTR2, like a separate new game title.

There have been many changes and improvements through the years (three different versions, plus respective patches) but the same philosophy and care remained throughout.

It's been ten years since the very first release of P&G by the GTL Workshop mod team, back in September 2007 (yes, a decade ago!).
Happy Birthday P&G

social media is the tobacco of this century

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
Re: Happy Birthday PnG
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 09:41:36 AM »
They certainly gave me, and I know yourself Denis, a stunning sim representation of the magic years of racing, that was second to none.
It was disappointing the the legacy net code from GTR2 let it down.

But I do think it was fantastic!  And thanks to the agile people at XGN, we explored it, enjoyed it.
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal