Xtreme Gaming Network

Racing like a moron

Author Topic: Racing like a moron  (Read 12136 times)

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
Racing like a moron
« on: January 20, 2016, 09:56:44 AM »
Help cure me from my race like a moron disease.  I am not the fastest but have some ok pace for say about a 5th or so finish, but I stuff up always.
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Rolz

Re: Racing like a moron
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 10:45:52 AM »
Help cure me from my race like a moron disease.  I am not the fastest but have some ok pace for say about a 5th or so finish, but I stuff up always.

Haha - Phil ur bloody fast, but I think u just get a head rush when racing with other people :) All I suggest is jumping onto pub servers (preferably with minorating on them) and just get ur close racing practice up...

You def have the speed!! Just understanding what other drivers potentially are going to do and not being on the perfect raceline is certainly important to get that consistent finishing down....

When I stopped thinking "Days of Thunder plant it through the smoke and get though the crash without issue" and started to break and work my way around spins/crashes I started to do heaps better... go out on the grass if you can to avoid tangled up cars... but don't speed and get a pit lane penalty... :P

Drop that 1-2second lap time if it saves you hitting a wall, into someone etc... gets u over the line in one piece and better for it... a damaged car will strip those times off you all day every day...

and patience... patience is massive :)

ramble ramble :P

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 11:05:29 AM »
Whatever Phil, you're one of the fast guys!

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 11:10:30 AM »
Thanks,  not sure its totally true, I think what Rolz has said is probably true, its funny as I get older I have got a little faster but race worse.  which is probably because I have never had to learn overtaking before as never had to much

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 11:22:11 AM »
I've only got average pace, but I rely on patience and consistency and awareness of incidents ahead of me to make up some ground. Usually. But I find overtaking really hard.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 12:03:29 PM »
What others said.

In addition: try & analyse your races, especially the mishaps.  Save & review the replays - a couple of days later.  Time helps to create a 'clean' unbiased view in one's head :)
I reckon if you compare the inside & outside views, maybe other's views as well if there's one, you'll be able to memorise what not to do. 

But it's also about correctly guessing what the other can see, and will do, based on experience, and being able to hold back (I can't always do that either, hehe)

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 12:16:23 PM »
The hardest thing I found was racing at my own pace rather than getting sucked into trying to follow the pace of the faster cars around you - especially in the early laps.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 05:20:12 PM »
Id also suggest try to get some racing in the pub servers as much as you can. Its all good practice the more you race amongst others the better you will get at it. Your not far off Phil, many of the other regulars Ive raced on my servers Ive noticed the more I race them the better they get. I know racing n others there has definatly improved my race craft quite a bit to where I will be pretty comfortable in any pack now.

I did see Max Verstappen and Shane Van Gisbergan both say that practice racing in sims has greatly helped their real life race craft. Max even said most of the big passes he made in f1 last year he did all quite a few times in sims before those races.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 05:58:49 PM »
I would suggest ramming into as many people as possible and then you know what not to do.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 06:59:04 PM »
I would suggest ramming into as many people as possible and then you know what not to do.

ok

Offline StanDaam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 07:55:53 PM »
I reckon you could tell the online influence on 'The Giz' when he did that re-address with Courtney at Adelaide after he  punted him. Was good to see. Now the punt of Reynolds at Phillip Island... not so good to see...

:-X :D :-X

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 08:24:50 PM »
I reckon you could tell the online influence on 'The Giz' when he did that re-address with Courtney at Adelaide after he  punted him. Was good to see. Now the punt of Reynolds at Phillip Island... not so good to see...

:-X :D :-X

Im not sure about PI. It looked to me more like Reynolds moving over on him and Gisy having none of it.

Offline StanDaam

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 09:51:39 PM »
Only an inch or two overlap, can't really go 2 wide there, plus Giz being upset over the turn one incident where he was run wide by Reynolds (but Reynolds didn't even realize...), plus Giz kept his foot in it even after contact was made... Overall, thought the Giz made a bad move...
 :-X :-\ :-X

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 10:00:01 AM »
I hadnt seen the PI incident but here it is.

Here is svg getting the most out of the mclaren at Bathurst. Seeing it only has a cornering advantage against other gt3 cars it shows why he needs to be a bit nuts at the top of the mountain.

Not sure if he is deiving the 650s this year at bathurst but being with redbull he may end up partnering lowndes in a ferrari instead of the Quinn Mclarens.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 10:16:06 AM »
I haven't seen those either, thanks. 
Shane is racing hard, but he just makes bad decisions, can't keep a cool head. 

Phil, is that you? :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal