Xtreme Gaming Network

S34R6 - Bathurst

Author Topic: S34R6 - Bathurst  (Read 15435 times)

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: S34R6 - Bathurst
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2020, 08:39:03 AM »
Q. Failed miserably, which kinda started on the first hot lap dodging Wally after a spin. Then looked up at time sheet to see 2:16's on softs I thought I'd better push being on meds, but all that did was overheat and over inflate the tyres causing a whole bunch of crap laps.
R1. Freezer bull dozed a way past Joe for us so I knew he'd have damage, with a little door rub, sorry, a scary pass was made down conrod. I then tried to hunt down the lead pack, caught up but couldn't get past, even when they had a bit of scuffle on the last lap.
R2. Mid pack start again, made a couple of places only to be right on Freezers tail again. After a couple of failed attempts to pass I figured I might as well pit early for clean air and try undercut and hope the med tyres would last. Successful, ended up second once everyone pitted with Mael in sight. Started to get my 2:16 laps going only to have crew chief let me know the leader is doing 2:15. I gave up on the chase and tried to manage the tyres because I could see Joe in the mirror, I felt safer when I saw him getting squirmy even though my rear tyres were in the red on the last lap.
It's really cool to see an awesome grid of cars like these and be in the midst of a great bunch of drivers in them, fantastic races, thanks guys.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 10:04:07 AM by buellersdayoff »

Offline Jarmel

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2020, 09:49:52 AM »
It was good racing last night. I was a bit surprised to see how tight the field was - I thought it would get more spread out. Race 1 I had some good slicing and dicing with AGK and Freezer and made some legit passes. But in race 2, I tried Killa's suggestion of basically the default setup, and the car felt nice and consistent (In fact I had the most consistent lap times), but I couldn't really progress beyond 8th, following Simone around the whole race.

Yeah was good racing by most here , in the first race I sat at the back half by choice but mostly not being fast enough and was surprised that still after 4 laps there was a bunch of cars only a couple of seconds in front of me. In the back of my mind i was thinking sooner or later someone is going to crash and break the bunch apart.  And sure enough it was me :/ .
2nd race I got over it pretty quickly and then just sat back and watched the race. Was interesting to see the pits stops play out , AGK was right up Bradc's butt so AGK decided to pit early and got the undercut by the time Bradc pitted.  I think AGK had a little moment and Brad managed to go back past AGK .  Watched mael cheat and put in a few super fast laps, Actually i was watching Bueller to see if he was catching Mael to challenge for top spot and saw his lap time of mid 16's then noticed Mael actually increased his lead on that lap so switched to Mael and thats when he did two laps in a row in the 2.15's , 2 great laps well done Mael.
I flicked around the field to look for any close battles , there wasn't any real close but the gaps were between 1 -2 seconds . Great driving by you guys to see how close everyone was by the end.  Basically by the time someone finished the race the next person was taking the last corner.

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2020, 09:56:01 AM »
That was great fun...pretty wild rides in this Volvo. A high 2:16 was possible in qualy, but I messed up the last turn. However, Joe's time was too good for me...and Mael was in his own league anyway.
R1 went very well apart from this unfortunate contact with Joe, which screwed up his race. Crazy side-by-side action with Brad...awesome, but pretty scary through these tight corners. I thought his Jag made it through the twisty bits up the hill very well. The Nissan's were braking quite early I found, but had more speed on the straights.
Most of R2 went well too. The last two laps were messy though. Finally I really lost control and put the Volvo square across the track at the end of the Esses...not a good spot. Luckily enough Brad and AKG made it past me without causing carnage. The car was still somewhat ok so I kept going. Then a couple more little mistakes. I kept the distance to AKG, but had no chance closing in...so ended up on P6. Before qualy I would have thought that's a decent result I'd be very happy with. It's a long race and I'm not too surprised I made this mistake.
Setup-wise I can't really get this thing any better. I experimented with all sorts of things, but default works best for me. That's special for me...I usually change the setup's. I tried the wings on 0, which worked as well, but 1/1 got me pretty much the same top speed so I decided going for that.
Cheers

Offline bradc

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2020, 12:16:32 PM »
That was a lot of fun. My left leg was aching but it was a nice strong result for the Jaguar. Sadly I saved my better race setup as quali and had an older (stiffer) version saved as race which explained why my I couldn't get near my times from the practice server until qualifying  :-[

Race 1 - I had a shocker of a start and got bogged down and couldn't leap past anyone...I lost a few spots and  then gained them back up the hill and it was great to see everyone racing so close but very cleanly up and across the top of the hill. I think it was lap two when I just "licked the stamp and sent it" on Freezer at the Chase and then spent the rest of the race trying to pass Killa's Volvo. Unfortunately for me, the Jaguar was quicker than the Swedish Taxi in all the parts where I couldn't pass and every time I could get a run down Conrod, the Chase which kept spoiling my run...had we been on the pre-1987 layout then I would have easily passed before needing to brake for Murray's. On one lap I got a better run off Griffins and had a crack in the ole Murphy-Ambrose spot (but we didn't crash), allowing us to run side-by-side around the cutting up to the gumtree where being on the outside, I had to yield....exciting stuff! I finally got a better run through the Chase and decided to try a pass however I had to back out of it as the Volvo appeared to be drifting across the track under brakes, Vestappen style. The rest of the race was rather tense and to Killa's credit he didn't crack. I had another BIG lung at the chase but tapped him so rather complete the bump and run, I readdressed and followed him home in third, which as Wally said, was a shock result!

Race 2 I got a much better start, but couldn't get track position. In giving Killa racing room on the inside at Griffins I managed to come off the corner rather slow and lost a few more spots on the run up to the cutting. I fell into line behind AGK's BMW and managed to hold him off (barely) until he pitted and got the undercut and after I'd followed the damaged Freezer into pitlane, leaving about 4 seconds to chase him down. I eventually got past and then managed to miss the spinner Kila at the essses and cruised home for 4th in a far less eventful race.

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2020, 01:33:08 PM »
Could this be Mael's first ever shot at taking out a championship?

Yeah this is why I'm letting him win I feel bad for the guy  ::)

Shame about the R1 incident; the Nissans do need to brake very early and I could see Mael half drifting ahead of me too so I backed off a bit and maybe that caught Killa out.

Race 2 was okay but Mael was just way too fast. I should have pitted earlier I was waiting for him to pit then did one more lap and it was a shocker, delta said 4 secs slower than my fastest, then I came out behind Mael and Bueller.

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2020, 02:16:21 PM »
Well its a good thing my BMW conked out  ;D

Realized in quali that I had a bit of pace to spare so could afford to start both races on hard tyres. The idea was to keep calm while the medium runners wear their boots out and then push the last few laps if needed.

The graph showed the progression of lap times, lap 0 being the Pb time for race 2. So mediums were losing 1/2 second for every additional lap! So Joe's over-cut strategy were going to be unlikely to work  ;D 

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2020, 04:10:13 PM »
Good analysis. Early on, I plotted Medium lap times versus Hard lap times, and found that Hards are faster at the start of the stint (they get up to optimal wear quicker), and then also faster at the end of the stint, when Mediums were worn.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2020, 04:11:35 PM »
Love how much thought you put into it mael. I just download the track on the night, default setup and vroom vroom

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2020, 04:26:34 PM »
Bit of a tough night for me.  Ran in to deep to the final turn in qualy, mucking up that lap and also the next.  With not much time left I only managed mid field grid spots for both races.
R1 - I was battling with Brad when on lap 2 coming up through the cutting, suddenly saw a Nissan across the track.  Brad went right and squeezed through but as I tried to follow through Joes car rolled a bit and the gap shrunk!  Subsequent front end damage cost me some pace.  I pushed on but couldn't make much of an impact.
R2 - A good start saw me grab a couple of spots on the opening lap to be 4th.  From there I had many laps with Bueller hot on my tail.  The VK didn't quite have the legs down conrod against the Nissan so I was able to hold on until he pitted.  I ran a few more laps but on my pitting lap I clipped the wall causing a bit of damage and took the gamble to repair hoping it would be quick . . . but it wasn't.
I came back out in 9th and some 8 seconds behind Wally.  From there I pushed on but couldn't bridge the gap.
On to Laguna Seca... :)

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2020, 02:44:08 PM »
Love how much thought you put into it mael. I just download the track on the night, default setup and vroom vroom

I'll happily pretend to have done the maths before the race.  ;D  I just download the track, run some practice laps, change everything on the setup and vrooomm.......crash   ;D

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2020, 04:24:30 PM »

The graph showed the progression of lap times, lap 0 being the Pb time for race 2. So mediums were losing 1/2 second for every additional lap! So Joe's over-cut strategy were going to be unlikely to work  ;D
So it's lap count on the x axis and laptime on the y?
If you do the calculus intergration, you were tailing off more than Joe, by that graph.
You didn't have a degradation advantage, just a laptime advantage.

2+2=√16

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal