Xtreme Gaming Network

Post your pics.. Let's talk about photography

Author Topic: Post your pics.. Let's talk about photography  (Read 34896 times)

Offline rpo83

• View Profile
Post your pics.. Let's talk about photography
« on: March 29, 2014, 10:54:49 AM »
Well, it has been very quiet in this sub forum, lets get some action happening.

A few of us are into photography, and a few of us want to get into photography, so lets make this thread a convenient place to come and ask for help, constructive feedback, tricks and tips and maybe even organise a few photography get togethers!!

As we're all into motorsport i'll start with a couple of motorsport pics, but lets make this thread about ALL types of photography  :)

Cal Crutchlow setting up for Stoner Corner at Phillip Island, you can see the flame at his exhaust as he rolls off.

This was taken with my Nikon D800E & 300/f4 on a monopod.
Cheers

Steve

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Post your pics.. Let's talk about photography
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 02:15:27 PM »
Thats an awesome shot Steve, thanks for posting this, love the flame!!

Well my photography is still going along very slowly, although you showing me some settings on my camera has made a big difference and certainly has me interest up again.

Below I took some staging? shots but I haven't posted them any where, partly I was playing around with distance and position of the car as at that time of day the sun had gone. Tomorrow morning I am heading back their as the sun will be behind me and I will hopefully take something better. I shall experiment with the 200mm as well as I have a car park across the road to setup in.

Anyway here is some.

Below is from Sea-wings, had quite a few challenges but I still enjoyed it, car threw out a lot of reflections.. 

Anyway until tomorrow morning arrives this is all I have. I don't like any of these pictures but they were the best of the 100's of photo's I took. I would never had posted these anywhere thinking they are GOOD ( because I know they are rubbish :) ) if I can get some help on what I need to focus on, that would be great.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 02:30:14 PM by Glen73 »

Offline rpo83

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 02:35:42 PM »
Nice work Glen,

The reflections make the shot interesting.

I like the garage idea, i would recommend going there at dawn or dusk, the light will be much more interesting, you will need your tripod and set the camera to f5.6 to f9 and the lowest ISO setting where whole numbers are shown, it will be either 100 or 200, don't use L03 ect. If you have torches, you can illuminate some of the garage from behind the car.

Look in your camera manual or on the internet to see if there is an exposure delay mode, on my D800 it is d4 in the custom settings manual. I have mine set for 3 seconds when i'm doing long exposures. What this setting does is delay opening the curtain for 3 seconds, this gives a great chance for your shot to be sharp and free of movement caused by the mirror bouncing when you release the shutter.
Cheers

Steve

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 03:14:09 PM »
Nice work Glen,

The reflections make the shot interesting.

I like the garage idea, i would recommend going there at dawn or dusk, the light will be much more interesting, you will need your tripod and set the camera to f5.6 to f9 and the lowest ISO setting where whole numbers are shown, it will be either 100 or 200, don't use L03 ect. If you have torches, you can illuminate some of the garage from behind the car.
Torches, great idea! I will try vary the f-stop and see what comes out.
Look in your camera manual or on the internet to see if there is an exposure delay mode, on my D800 it is d4 in the custom settings manual. I have mine set for 3 seconds when i'm doing long exposures. What this setting does is delay opening the curtain for 3 seconds, this gives a great chance for your shot to be sharp and free of movement caused by the mirror bouncing when you release the shutter.

After some googling, switching to live view in my camera locks the mirror, but some say it isnt true, will try a timer mode as well???

Thanks for the tips.

Offline rpo83

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 03:43:57 PM »
Live view does lock the mirror up in all DSLR cameras as the sensor needs to be exposed to the frame...

A remote control is a great accessory to have...
Cheers

Steve

Offline rpo83

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 03:56:40 PM »
Here is a shot of my Brother InLaws Caddy, i shot it so the focus is the bumper and grill, the rest of the car hidden in the old shed..

Cheers

Steve

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 04:13:14 PM »
Geeez capturing the image is hard enough but setting the scene I find harder, you have a talent.

here is one I took awhile ago...... I am dedicating this one to you  ;D

;D ;D ;D

Offline rpo83

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 04:27:28 PM »
Nice photoshop PAINT skills, you'd hardly know the watermark was touched  ;D
Cheers

Steve

Offline rpo83

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 05:22:35 PM »
In regards to setting the scene... it's just practice... I have thousands of images that don't work, at least these days of digital photography, practice is cheap :)

Oh, by the way, you need to paint your horns!

Here is my "Portsea Pier" shot, i see you had a crack at photographing it on flickr....

« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 07:04:22 PM by rpo83 »
Cheers

Steve

Offline rpo83

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 06:49:24 PM »
Thats an awesome shot Steve, thanks for posting this, love the flame!!

Well my photography is still going along very slowly, although you showing me some settings on my camera has made a big difference and certainly has me interest up again.

Below I took some staging? shots but I haven't posted them any where, partly I was playing around with distance and position of the car as at that time of day the sun had gone. Tomorrow morning I am heading back their as the sun will be behind me and I will hopefully take something better. I shall experiment with the 200mm as well as I have a car park across the road to setup in.

Anyway here is some.

Anyway until tomorrow morning arrives this is all I have. I don't like any of these pictures but they were the best of the 100's of photo's I took. I would never had posted these anywhere thinking they are GOOD ( because I know they are rubbish :) ) if I can get some help on what I need to focus on, that would be great.

I like what you were going for with this one, i'd mirror the position of the car and your location so the old signs between the roller doors would be visible near the bonnet, whilst getting rid of the crappy looking brown door. I think a darker version of this at dusk would work well with the gritty red bricks.

Cheers

Steve

Offline Snakeyes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 08:28:59 PM »
Nice shot guys. Just some of mine

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 09:52:41 PM »

I like what you were going for with this one, i'd mirror the position of the car and your location so the old signs between the roller doors would be visible near the bonnet, whilst getting rid of the crappy looking brown door. I think a darker version of this at dusk would work well with the gritty red bricks.

Ok so if im reading this right, back the car into the corner, and get rid of the human door.
Thanks, will give that a go.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 09:55:18 PM by Glen73 »

Offline rpo83

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 10:05:15 PM »
The main objective is to get rid of the ugly door.

If you have room, try the 200mm and get down low, try headlight level, don't worry to much about getting close to the corner, depending on the ambient light level, you could try a few shots with your parkers then headlights on...

If there is a drive way that is higher than the apron put the car there and try and get low, sort of like this..

Cheers

Steve

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 08:51:37 AM »
Here is a shot of my Brother InLaws Caddy, i shot it so the focus is the bumper and grill, the rest of the car hidden in the old shed..

Kool

tapatalk on an °[●●]°

"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline Glen73

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2014, 09:25:07 AM »
Hi Steve, well the alarm went off this morning and thats all I remember......

So talking about polarizer filter's the other day, which would you recommend I start with.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal