Xtreme Gaming Network

S20R2: Oulton Park Post-Race Chat

Author Topic: S20R2: Oulton Park Post-Race Chat  (Read 17755 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: S20R2: Oulton Park Post-Race Chat
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2018, 07:15:14 AM »
Race 1 was uneventful. Qualified 16th, and ending up circulating by myself in 11-10-9 between Shayne and Bacchulum the whole race.

Race 2 didn't start so well though. Bacchulum clipped the grass on lap 1 which slid him across the track, just skimming the nose of my car as I braked to avoid him. I didn't get hit, but lost a bunch of spots while evading him. Then later in the lap I ran wide on the grass at the fast right hander, ending up 2nd last by the end of lap 1. A bit later I narrowly missed the spinning Godzilla, which let Dave O past, with me still languishing in second last.

I opportunistically passed Phil after he had an off at the hairpin, and then he chased and pressured me for several laps until finally I ran wide and let him past. Later, I passed Keith after he'd had an off and was cleanly past, but he decided on a lunge up the inside a couple of corners out from the end of the lap and bumped me off the track onto the grass. But I got the spot back when he ran wide at the final corner. So there was quite a lot happening in race 2. Highlight - being chased by Phil.

Race 3 started tidily, with me making a few spots after others' mistakes. But on lap 4, I clipped the grass approaching the hairpin, which spun me across the track into Freezer, putting him into the wall, but I managed to vaguely hold onto the skid around the hairpin. Then the same thing happened to me on lap 8 - I took the corner approaching the hairpin too fast, and while I was braking to stay off the grass, killagorilla behind me clipped the grass while evading me and spun us both off the track. That dropped me from 8th to 15th. on the following lap I was just about past Jamie through the fast right hander, but a side-to-side tap on my rear corner put me off into the wall in a pretty big whack that damaged my car and broke my windscreen. From there I chased down the equally wrecked Freezer, again passing at the fast right hander.

So I would rate this round: exciting.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 07:26:56 AM »
Hi Wally: just to clarify what I meant earlier on. Look at me and Matthew. We were doing basically the same until our unfortunate contact in race 1. I got "lucky" and he got "unlucky." As a result, I got some good points in race 1, but had to fight in race 2 and 3, and got 65 points out of that roulette. Instead, he got very few points out of race 1, but started race 2 first and got 70 points. (Looking at Phil's results gives a similar idea... it's just really tough and you need quite some luck to do well in races 2 and 3 if you finish in the podium in race 1).

Of course, none of us is going to really do it (be last in the first race on purpose). I think we are all way too good sports for something like that. As for me: I enjoy race 1 so much more that I can't handle the idea of missing a result on that one. But I think it would be a pretty good strategy to arrive last on the first race on purpose. If you are a fast car, the chances of getting an amazing result in races 2 and 3 are huge.
I see your point, but that's kind of an exception - one of the fastest guys coming last in race 1 due to a big crash. Normally, it won't happen that way. Yes, you could game the system by throwing race 1. What I could do to fix that is make race 1 worth double points. That way, throwing race 1 will cost you as much as you gain in the later races. In fact, I think I'll do that, to reward the "normal" race 1 more, then races 2 and 3 are kind of a race in two halves, as Bacchulum said, to give you a chance to earn the same points as race 1.

That makes the season podium become:

1. Kcender, 125
2. Phil.8 + Grat, 109
3. Godzilla, 102
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2018, 08:08:15 AM »
Hi Wally: just to clarify what I meant earlier on. Look at me and Matthew. We were doing basically the same until our unfortunate contact in race 1. I got "lucky" and he got "unlucky." As a result, I got some good points in race 1, but had to fight in race 2 and 3, and got 65 points out of that roulette. Instead, he got very few points out of race 1, but started race 2 first and got 70 points. (Looking at Phil's results gives a similar idea... it's just really tough and you need quite some luck to do well in races 2 and 3 if you finish in the podium in race 1).

Of course, none of us is going to really do it (be last in the first race on purpose). I think we are all way too good sports for something like that. As for me: I enjoy race 1 so much more that I can't handle the idea of missing a result on that one. But I think it would be a pretty good strategy to arrive last on the first race on purpose. If you are a fast car, the chances of getting an amazing result in races 2 and 3 are huge.
I see your point, but that's kind of an exception - one of the fastest guys coming last in race 1 due to a big crash. Normally, it won't happen that way. Yes, you could game the system by throwing race 1. What I could do to fix that is make race 1 worth double points. That way, throwing race 1 will cost you as much as you gain in the later races. In fact, I think I'll do that, to reward the "normal" race 1 more, then races 2 and 3 are kind of a race in two halves, as Bacchulum said, to give you a chance to earn the same points as race 1.

That makes the season podium become:

1. Kcender, 125
2. Phil.8 + Grat, 109
3. Godzilla, 102
That is exactly and precisely what I was suggesting. This way we keep it fun and crazy without creating perverse incentives. Excellent!

Offline ab156

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2018, 08:57:49 AM »
For some reason I didn't have any start lights come up for race one, this meant I had to watch for movement from other cars so lost 2 spots off the line. Tried to be gentlemanly and leave racing room for people but someone side-slammed me on the exit of one.  I am sure there is an excuse.

At the exit of the fast sweeper I could see heaps of smoke and cars off the track so eased off the throttle and got rewarded with full speed contact from a couple of people behind.  I am sure they couldn't see the issues ahead otherwise they would surely have taken a bit of caution..... all I will say is this is a common occurrence.  I need to adjust my driving style which is currently  to try and not create further carnage to "this is it, time to pass 10 cars, brake deeper than usual". Contact put me at the back of the field.

Had some good clean racing making my way back through the field.

Race 2 was good for the first few laps. Gave a few positions up in close racing, good fun when the cars are so close, once you get off line it is hard to get back in line.  Went side by side a few times. All came to a sudden end again at the exit of the sweeper when I was racing side by side with someone.  Strangely the person decided the braking line was 3 meters to the right so I was on the grass.  "Luckily" my high speed crash didn't take any innocent people out, pity it didn't take out the offender...

Pitted to try and repair damaged, twice, but the car was shot so finished 2 laps down, last.

Race 3 was awesome.  35% restrictor made it interesting, had to really focus on exits to try and keep with the cars ahead.  Has some great racing with several people moving up from last to 13th with one solo spin and NO CONTACT.  Clean passing, respectful racing.  Had great fun with Mael, DaveO, Rob, Keith and a few others.  Undoubtedly the quality of racing was excellent with these guys.

I don't have time to look at replays all day but I have a clearer picture in my mind of those that want to race and those who want to win at any cost - I will be adjusting my driving accordingly.  Not normally a vocal guy, just like to have a bit of fun however some of the driving is disrespectful leaving zero room for fellow racers or just plain not caring if contact is made, as long as you get the pass, be damned the consequences for the other guy.

Looking at the damage report it appears the car receiving contact often gets more damage points than the car creating the contact.  That is interesting to me and something I will have to consider.

Looking forward to next week.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2018, 09:16:58 AM »
For some reason I didn't have any start lights come up for race one, this meant I had to watch for movement from other cars so lost 2 spots off the line. Tried to be gentlemanly and leave racing room for people but someone side-slammed me on the exit of one.  I am sure there is an excuse.

At the exit of the fast sweeper I could see heaps of smoke and cars off the track so eased off the throttle and got rewarded with full speed contact from a couple of people behind.  I am sure they couldn't see the issues ahead otherwise they would surely have taken a bit of caution..... all I will say is this is a common occurrence.  I need to adjust my driving style which is currently  to try and not create further carnage to "this is it, time to pass 10 cars, brake deeper than usual". Contact put me at the back of the field.

Race 2 was good for the first few laps. Gave a few positions up in close racing, good fun when the cars are so close, once you get off line it is hard to get back in line.  Went side by side a few times. All came to a sudden end again at the exit of the sweeper when I was racing side by side with someone.  Strangely the person decided the braking line was 3 meters to the right so I was on the grass.  "Luckily" my high speed crash didn't take any innocent people out, pity it didn't take out the offender...

Pitted to try and repair damaged, twice, but the car was shot so finished 2 laps down, last.

Race 3 was awesome.  35% restrictor made it interesting, had to really focus on exits to try and keep with the cars ahead.  Has some great racing with several people moving up from last to 13th with one solo spin and NO CONTACT.  Clean passing, respectful racing.  Had great fun with Mael, DaveO, Rob, Keith and a few others.  Undoubtedly the quality of racing was excellent with these guys.

I don't have time to look at replays all day but I have a clearer picture in my mind of those that want to race and those who want to win at any cost - I will be adjusting my driving accordingly.  Not normally a vocal guy, just like to have a bit of fun however some of the driving is disrespectful leaving zero room for fellow racers or just plain not caring if contact is made, as long as you get the pass, be damned the consequences for the other guy.

Looking at the damage report it appears the car receiving contact often gets more damage points than the car creating the contact.  That is interesting to me and something I will have to consider.

Hi AB: if there is something I really admire of all here at XGN is that we all want to learn to race better and be better mates to race with. I would go as far as to say that it would make an even greater contribution if you could let us know when and how we behaved in a way that was dangerous or annoying, rather than adjust your driving accordingly. We have seen it again and again that most of us are completely unaware of the mistakes we make until we can actually see them. I, for example, have been horrible with Mael (twice! :(), but even after watching the replays I believe my race was quite clean (given the circumstances). But I am sure someone could make me notice where and how I caused troubles without noticing it, and I can only learn to do better from being told that.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2018, 09:35:11 AM »

There's a bit of variation in the collision speeds for both cars on the server, due to multiplayer latency and so on. One car won't always be faster than the other, in particular.

Trying to improve driving standards is a perennial league problem. We have lap 1 penalties, and now in this season damage restrictor as well. Some people will be keen to learn and improve their racecraft; some won't care.
I think probably the best thing is still to report incidents that you think are problems to me and I will assign penalty ballast for the next round. Nobody likes ballast, and that will hopefully make people think twice.

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2018, 10:29:36 AM »
Race 2 - Shayne ran into the back of ab156 - 50kg penalty ballast for the next round.

Yeah that's understandable. I wasn't even thinking about braking early, just going for my normal marker and didn't consider that maybe braking early would be wise with many cars in front of me... Sorry ab.

I've got to say (politely) that I've noticed a few people seem to want to win at all costs and race like qualifying pace from the get go (cold tyres/traffic). My adjustment to that was to tap the brake lights when I could see the freight train ahead slow down for a two wide run at some of the corners. I held my ground a bit this week, not blocking though so there was a bit of paint rubbing, got squeezed by freezer but he gave room after we traded paint. Helicorsa is weird (for me) sometimes cars disappear until a slight rub.
For me my biggest mistake with another driver was with Phil he was slowed down a bit looked to run wide, a gap presented but was closed instantly and we contacted...very sorry and glad it wasn't major. If there was others I didn't know about it and am sorry...
I'd love to see the replay of race 2 if someone can upload please, content manager kept two replays but one was from Thursday, I've upped my limit to keep 5 now. Thanks for a fun heart pumping night of racing guys

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2018, 11:20:17 AM »
Aggression can sometimes vary from track to track too. If you know it's going to be hard to pass, that might make you more aggressive in taking the few chances that might come up.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2018, 12:02:46 PM »
Didn't worry me, I don't mind some paint rubbing,  But been hit and pinged around on starts annoys me, but that does not happen to often, coming across an accident and not been able to avoid it is annoying, as is been dive bombed,   speaking of dive bombs , sorry about my dive bomb Godzilla,  I totally missed my brake marker by about 20 meters.   I am sure no one does any of it on purpose though, its just bad judgment calls I am sure :)
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Godzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2018, 12:30:11 PM »
Didn't worry me, I don't mind some paint rubbing,  But been hit and pinged around on starts annoys me, but that does not happen to often, coming across an accident and not been able to avoid it is annoying, as is been dive bombed,   speaking of dive bombs , sorry about my dive bomb Godzilla,  I totally missed my brake marker by about 20 meters.   I am sure no one does any of it on purpose though, its just bad judgment calls I am sure :)

All good mate, it happens, thankfully managed to catch the slide with some prety hectic counter steer. Race 2 was brutal for me, constantly way of line due to traffic. Really sorry about the nudge @RussG didn’t think it was to bad but guessing it was worse, haven’t looked at the replay but shouldn’t have happened

Offline RussG

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2018, 02:56:04 PM »
I'd love to see the replay of race 2 if someone can upload please, content manager kept two replays but one was from Thursday, I've upped my limit to keep 5 now.

AC is still quite brain dead about saving replays. rFactor you just set "save all replays" in the config file and it does.
AC TEMPORARILY saves replays in the temp folder and it keeps Race replays up to the number you specify. However when you reach the limit, it deletes the MOST RECENT replay instead of the oldest. This will be why one of your replays was old, it deleted the Race 1 replay to save Race 2 and then deleted the Race 2 replay to save Race 3 instead of deleting your old one.
I have my keep set to the maximum of 20 and I still lose what I want sometimes. The best way is to "Keep replay" as soon as you exit a race session, then it will stay until you delete it.

Here is Race 2 replay for your enjoyment :)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/26kvhrbdo1yisro/AC_020118-205938_R_ks_bmw_m235i_racing_oulton_park_internationalnochic.zip
Some days you're the pigeon,
Some days you're the statue ...

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2018, 03:49:44 PM »

Hey AB,  if you watch the replay of R1 T1 you will see that I was up the inside (close but no touch) when you got a slight tail out on the ripple strip and turned into me!
R2 that will be my fault.  Having got the run alonside up the straight then quicker into the left sweeper I briefly glanced at helicorsa and thought I had just cleared you so moved right but
it was also immediately before the braking zone.  You may have been braking later than me but I did ultimately give you the bare minimum to work with, sry!!
Re the disrespectful, not caring blah blah . . . that's not me!  I always do my best to race hard and clean.  Race 2 was just a misjudgment!

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2018, 04:48:04 PM »
I'd love to see the replay of race 2 if someone can upload please, content manager kept two replays but one was from Thursday, I've upped my limit to keep 5 now.

AC is still quite brain dead about saving replays. rFactor you just set "save all replays" in the config file and it does.
AC TEMPORARILY saves replays in the temp folder and it keeps Race replays up to the number you specify. However when you reach the limit, it deletes the MOST RECENT replay instead of the oldest. This will be why one of your replays was old, it deleted the Race 1 replay to save Race 2 and then deleted the Race 2 replay to save Race 3 instead of deleting your old one.
I have my keep set to the maximum of 20 and I still lose what I want sometimes. The best way is to "Keep replay" as soon as you exit a race session, then it will stay until you delete it.

Here is Race 2 replay for your enjoyment :)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/26kvhrbdo1yisro/AC_020118-205938_R_ks_bmw_m235i_racing_oulton_park_internationalnochic.zip
Thank you

Offline ab156

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2018, 04:48:13 PM »

Hi AB: if there is something I really admire of all here at XGN is that we all want to learn to race better and be better mates to race with. I would go as far as to say that it would make an even greater contribution if you could let us know when and how we behaved in a way that was dangerous or annoying, rather than adjust your driving accordingly. We have seen it again and again that most of us are completely unaware of the mistakes we make until we can actually see them. I, for example, have been horrible with Mael (twice! :(), but even after watching the replays I believe my race was quite clean (given the circumstances). But I am sure someone could make me notice where and how I caused troubles without noticing it, and I can only learn to do better from being told that.
[/quote]

Sorry, but if you rear end someone at full pace 5-10 seconds after the first signs of an incident ahead I don't think you can be oblivious to it.  Put it this way, if you are wondering then it wasn't you  :P

Been at this caper long enough to know every one has opinions, endless reviews, posts, counter-posts and "protests" don't add to the enjoyment.  I wasn't even going to bother posting last night be decided to at least acknowledge the great racing with the guys in race 3, really enjoyable.

At the end of the day the lack of any physical or financial impost for causing damage to yourself or others skews different peoples perception of what is acceptable. I like what Wally is trying to do with the restrictor thing, it is just lacking a bit in execution due to limitations of the game.  Understanding these limitations is all part of racing.

If you want sage advice it would be to cut our racing friends some slack on lap 1, is ruining someone elses race really worth that one position?  Race after race I give space or cut someone a break as I pride myself on clean racing (except for my horrid F3 at Donnington race - still have nightmares over that one!!) only to get contact or see other crashing into each other ruining someones race after 30 seconds.  If you are good enough and fast enough you can get them a lap later once the field has settled.

Offline ab156

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2018, 04:52:41 PM »

There's a bit of variation in the collision speeds for both cars on the server, due to multiplayer latency and so on. One car won't always be faster than the other, in particular.

Trying to improve driving standards is a perennial league problem. We have lap 1 penalties, and now in this season damage restrictor as well. Some people will be keen to learn and improve their racecraft; some won't care.
I think probably the best thing is still to report incidents that you think are problems to me and I will assign penalty ballast for the next round. Nobody likes ballast, and that will hopefully make people think twice.

No, I agree that trying the contact thing is a great idea, as it the PLP and lap1 review.  This is a well run series as evident by the full fields.  In the absence of anything else it is as good as we have so you have to take the good with he bad (doesn't mean you have to like the bad!).  Would be interesting to really understand how the game calculates the contact, doubtful the developers would be interested in trying to explain.

Couldn't be bothered wasting your time with protests, we all have better things to do.  Just having some fun on a Tuesday night.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal