Xtreme Gaming Network

S28R2: Suzuka 1988

Author Topic: S28R2: Suzuka 1988  (Read 33013 times)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
Re: S28R2: Suzuka 1988
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2019, 02:07:16 PM »
.. if you cut in front of someone and start braking right away...

A few people with smelly fingers as you've all got the wrong end of the stick. I didn't cut in front of anyone. I was on the outside going in to the turn FFS. The other party chose to share that line despite the fact that braking was imminent.
Again on any other lap this falls under 'shit happens'. And the mistakes that caused the problem are promptly forgiven, but this was a first lap incident FFS. That's what I'm pissed about.

My bad, I did not get a clear description of the situation from above.  What I said sticks; it just does not apply to you here, instead applies to Brad. :)

I understand your frustration.

Edit: what lead me astray is the description:  "Tricky one: Seanus just passed Brad,... "
Starting out on that I've assumed you cut in front of him.   

I think, I'd like to see a replay, too, this is interesting.  (and I should have one for R1)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 02:10:27 PM by Bird »

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2019, 02:30:48 PM »
I've checked it (I wish I could save the replay video, I've nfi how).

In my opinion this is not something GzeroD could have done better, bar completely pulling out before attempting the overtake.   He was on the absolute edge of the track, braking in a straight line, and he was ahead with near-no overlap; no mistake there.
Brad could have avoided it, had he taken a line that's nearer to the track's middle.  He was sticking to his line, not conceding (sideways) space even after being fully overtaken.

(The one contentious bit IMO is that small bump before the accident.   It looked like Brad wasn't aware that GzeroD was already there.  But it did not lead to any tears, thankfully.)

So all in all:  It was a racing incident, indeed; too close racing in these cars, but I'd say no fault of GzeroD in any way. 

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2019, 04:12:18 PM »
I think it's important to remember that at the of the day what we do is really just a game based around a common interest. For me it's something to enjoy in my downtime to relax a bit and take me away from busy real life shit. The level of aggression and attitudes on the forum and voice chat do sometimes really make it a much less enjoyable environment and experience. We're all human and make mistakes, we're doing the best we can, as is Wally who has to manage this large group of people. Sure I want to understand racing and race etiquette and become better at it, so discussion is always good, but let's just be nice about it  8)

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2019, 04:34:18 PM »
Seanus, there's no need to be that upset; if you cut in front of someone and start braking right away, there is a good chance there'll be tears.
It's in your best interest to avoid that, don't you agree?  (as well in everyone's best interest)

That's why I always keep my line as much as I can after a late overtake, until we're past the apex and sorted the order out.  It helps heaps to avoid this, and is only a tiny drawback - if you're truly faster.   
Plus on the inside line you're likely to be able to take the correct, full-exit of the corner; so you'll be ahead with minimal loss on entry.

Not saying this has happened here as I have not really read the full thread, but in reference to Birds comments above it reminded me of many moons ago when I did this to Bird in my first xgn race,  made the pass and instead of sticking to my line pulled over in front of him just before the braking point which caused him to not be able to see his braking point and smash,  he let me know of his displeasure at the time, and I got all angry and thought omg what have I done wrong,  but it was a valuable lesson in driver etiquette and he was right you just cant pull over back onto the racing line going into a corner as the driver following cant see anything, was actually the best lesson I ever learnt in Ac for clean racing, so thanks Bird  8) ;D
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 04:37:58 PM by Phil.8 »
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2019, 04:55:15 PM »
Bahaha I did exactly the same thing to bird on my first ever xgn race

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2019, 05:37:04 PM »
Bahaha I did exactly the same thing to bird on my first ever xgn race

Well you would expect Bird just to fly over wouldn't you?   :P

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2019, 05:38:17 PM »
There is always two sides to each situation and it seems most people are very reluctant to concede their position. It's only natural that when you make a pass fairly you will want to be back on the racing line as soon as possible, being passed fairly means to me that I now don't "own" that part of the track I need to be cautious and not punt the passer off (and receive penalties in real life) so I I'd back of a bit concede the position and wait for a fair opportunity, if I'm fast enough there might be one.
 Not saying what I did was right but making a rule or whatever to say don't go back on the racing line after passing is nonsensical at least in comparison to real world racing. Concede the position and wait for a suitable time to attack back, if there is one.
 I'm sorry I moved back to the racing line and braked a bit earlier but as with most incidents they're split second decisions made at 300km/h, not always the right ones. I had slip stream speed, the inside line and would have drifted myself off into the sand if I hadn't moved to racing line and slowed earlier (again too early maybe) my opponent should have had some idea of that, no offence bacchulum I've taken your critique on board.
 Also another issue I've seen is a clearly slower driver defending a position to wits end, if a faster car has made some ground behind you, make them work for a couple of turns but don't hold them up by defending every turn for a number of laps. (disclosure, not recently and rare)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2019, 05:42:32 PM »
I think it's important to remember that at the of the day what we do is really just a game based around a common interest. For me it's something to enjoy in my downtime to relax a bit and take me away from busy real life shit. The level of aggression and attitudes on the forum and voice chat do sometimes really make it a much less enjoyable environment and experience. We're all human and make mistakes, we're doing the best we can, as is Wally who has to manage this large group of people. Sure I want to understand racing and race etiquette and become better at it, so discussion is always good, but let's just be nice about it  8)
Thanks for that; I agree, things can get a bit too heated here occasionally.

Edit:
Phil, Joe, I'm glad I could educationally rear-end each of you at some point :D
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 05:46:21 PM by Bird »

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2019, 05:47:57 PM »
Thanks for that; I agree, things can get a bit too heated here occasionally.

Edit:
Phil, Joe, I'm glad I could educationally rear-end each of you at some point :D

LOL :D
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline ab156

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2019, 07:36:41 PM »
Made it to T9, was well inside Joe leaving plenty of room, got ploughed into. 

I think I remember this but thought it was Seanus. The car got squirrelly on exit when I put the power down and lost some traction and it moved slightly over to the right. Sorry but had every intention of giving room and there wasn't much I could do; 'ploughed into' doesn't really describe what happened IMO.

Sorry - been away..  Every time I get hit I consider it being ploughed into  :D, you get no mercy!  Not a drama, just lap 1 fun.

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2019, 09:57:30 PM »
but making a rule or whatever to say don't go back on the racing line after passing is nonsensical at least in comparison to real world racing.
Except the FIA have a rule of leaving a car width if you go back to the outside, and no changing lines in the braking zone, because even F1 drivers have issues with it. ;)

2+2=√16

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2019, 10:04:06 PM »
This is Seanus passing Brad. You can see that Brad's car in front is consistently wandering left and right.
The question I ask before handing Brad a penalty is "Could Brad have avoided this?". Brad could have given more racing room as soon as he knew he was passed. Seanus could have not braked so soon after passing Brad. My call is no clear fault, so no penalty.
[youtube]J5JUHmCj60I[/youtube]
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2019, 10:07:53 PM »
This.

By all means, state your position forcefully, but keep the language clean and the tone respectful and constructive, for the benefit of everyone.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2019, 11:52:25 PM »
Toys are officially out of the pram . . . 9/10 drivers would agree with that!

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2019, 06:23:14 AM »
Let's concentrate on the foul language instead of real issue as lord knows we shouldn't want some 5 year old to stumble across the word and have his whole life ruined.

FFS. Now I've seen the footage, my replay got overwritten, it's a lay down misere, bradc receives a penalty for that or my name isn't.

9/10 drivers agree bradc should cop first lap penalty for that. Tell me I'm not wrong

Dude, you disagree with how it was judged.  That's going to happen in life. Accept and move on. It happens to everyone at some point.  No need to bring yourself down with that sort of rubbish.  I'm sure you're a decent bloke, so get it together and put one incident, from one race in a game that has no real bearing on life behind you.  It's not worth the agro mate.

I happen to think, based on the video, that Brad should have pulled over to the left more once he had fallen behind you to allow some room, but I get what Wally is saying and you have to respect that Wally is running the league and making the best judgement call he can.  No need to make an already difficult job more difficult for him.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 08:30:17 AM by Wally »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal