Xtreme Gaming Network

S9R4: Spa pre-race chat

Author Topic: S9R4: Spa pre-race chat  (Read 16604 times)

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: S9R4: Spa pre-race chat
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2015, 11:37:29 PM »
Sorry Marty. I got a little overzealous.  :-[

No worries Bafs that was just the last one and an easy error to make, I only did maybe 2 laps all nite where someone didn't hit me so I figured best to leave. All the others were early in the first lap that one was the last corner at least so I got part of the way through that lap.   ;D

Anyway after leaving I helped find a massive bug in RSR so something positive came out of it, I still don't like my chances tomorrow nite of getting through clean. Heck it may be me cleaning people up then which would be even worse but very close racing in mixed ballasts at this track seems like the perfect recipe for carnage.

If anyone saw the carnage in the FIA F3 races at Spa this year it would be amazing if our races are less carnage then the real ones.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2015, 06:57:16 AM »
After attempting a couple of practice races I don't like my chance of finishing either race, I have been hit more times in a few races then in any pub server lol. Guys with little to no ballast may need to accept a car that's very heavy will need to brake earlier, there is pretty much no chance of us stopping as quickly with 130kg plus. MR is running on that server and I will best just stay off it as I wont ever get into my other servers again with the amount of hits I was taking.

Indeed, you always have to be aware of who's carrying more ballast, as their braking distance will be increased.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2015, 01:26:04 PM »
After attempting a couple of practice races I don't like my chance of finishing either race, I have been hit more times in a few races then in any pub server lol. Guys with little to no ballast may need to accept a car that's very heavy will need to brake earlier, there is pretty much no chance of us stopping as quickly with 130kg plus. MR is running on that server and I will best just stay off it as I wont ever get into my other servers again with the amount of hits I was taking.

Indeed, you always have to be aware of who's carrying more ballast, as their braking distance will be increased.
Not always easy, unless you study the form guide before getting on the grid...  maybe we need something like a F1 rain light  :)

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2015, 01:44:10 PM »
The ac ingame leaderboard app does show ballast of those around you. But generally people should just be aware of cars ahead of them, the general rule in passing is to go around not through someone.  ;D

Also in a pack you may need to adjust from your hotlap line especially with mixed cars as it is with ballast. Still these cars its easy to snag a brake and then your going to nail the guy ahead if you try to brake at the absolute limit.

Also has anyone else noticed a bug in this car that you can run it underground like a submarine and it doesnt scrape the ground. ;) Had I known that in Zandvoort I wouldnt have raised the car to deal with the bumps and probably been a second or more quicker. The ballast actually helps the car get lower which is why we can probably get closer at Spa then we should with this much extra weight.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2015, 02:08:07 PM »
Marty, did you signal this to Virtua Simulazioni? I guess they are working on an update with the new tyre model, so perhaps they could fix this detail in the same update if they know about it.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2015, 02:42:19 PM »
Lowering the car certainly didn't help me at either Zandvoort or here.  My setup is about half-way up in height, a little lower around Spa.  Maybe it's just your setup Marty?  If you have really stiff springs, dampers + low travel range and stiff bump rubbers (or whatever they are called) and high tyre pressures maybe that's why???

Then again, I'm running a boat load of ballast so maybe without it it would have been faster lowered to the ground...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 02:44:13 PM by Guybrush Threepwood »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2015, 02:59:34 PM »
Re seeing the ballast, I was thinking of adding it to the front if people's names so you can see it above their car, but it might bugger up the results handling.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2015, 03:11:30 PM »
Marty, did you signal this to Virtua Simulazioni? I guess they are working on an update with the new tyre model, so perhaps they could fix this detail in the same update if they know about it.

I'm not sure if its a bug in AC since the last patch or in the mod yet as I haven't really driven any other cars that I can lower as much as possible. Following your car GB graphically it also looked like the car was underground But my ride height is at min front and I even went softer springs once I found I couldn't bottom out.

I remember at some point this car would even get stuck on kerbs or in sandtraps, pretty sure I got stuck on a kerb at Silverstone in practice. Maybe its only since 1.3.4 something changed and I don't know if that was before or after the Zandvoort round. But if there is no disadvantage to going as low as possible youd be silly not to assuming and with my ballast I have seen no issues with going submarine here.

Earlier versions of AC bottoming out was a huge issue but I will need to look at it a little more, will take a look at the telemetry too and see what the actual active ride heights are for my car.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2015, 03:24:24 PM »
Generally you want to run your car as low as possible, but mine was bottoming out and getting loose when lowering it even partially.  Sometimes when you loose traction you may not think it's bottoming out as such but it is hitting the suspension stops and causing a loss of traction and contact.  That's probably why you were spinning when you put more fuel in the car.

I guess if 178kg + ~85kg (= 263kg) looks low, then taking all this weight off would allow me to run a lot lower, especially considering that the "with driver" weight of car alone is ~565kg, so I'm running with almost 50% more weight than the rolling chassis.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2015, 04:30:55 PM »
My spinning was either caused by trying to go full throttle over a kerb or others inducing the spin :) In the early rounds I think bottoming out was working it just seems not to be any more. Still even if the car doesn't bottom out its an issue if you run out of suspension travel so running on the bumpstops will mean any bumps fully loaded will likely unsettle the car and cause a spin.

Offline Will

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2015, 06:43:11 PM »
Is there something you guys use with TS to see who's talking while in-game?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2015, 06:51:02 PM »

I believe there is some kind of overlay you can use, but I don't use one myself. Overwolf?

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2015, 07:17:06 PM »

I have a 4th screen connected to the built in graphics to occasionally show TS.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2015, 07:41:38 PM »
Seems the car can bottom out here but maybe its a bit above the actual floor, I did manage to get it stuck in the grass but still am amazed my setup isn't bottoming on the track. Over kerbs it can have issues though but its fairly quick so will just try and avoid those as much as possible. Funny how this high aero package is limited by rear aero it seems so top speed with and without ballast is the same, I also tried a higher gear ratio and it just made it slower even with no ballast. All the time is made up with mid corner and acceleration using no ballast so there is some speed differential cornering between guys with ballast and without we will all need to be aware with.

Here are a couple laps of mine with and without ballast which shows all the time is gained with cornering speed but at the top end the speeds close up a bit as the car is aero limited.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal