Xtreme Gaming Network

Reducing first lap incidents

Author Topic: Reducing first lap incidents  (Read 24614 times)

Offline marty

• View Profile
Re: Reducing first lap incidents
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2016, 09:58:16 AM »
I will be surprised if it makes any difference, maybe t1 at Spa wont be that bad but I think someone will do a basic rear ending from miles back into some there regular start or rolling start.

Then quite likely another caused by at least one spinner at Eau Rogue with cold tyres bouncing back on the track and those behind not slowing causing more collisions. Then if people get to Les Combes side by side and not respect racing room contact will happen again TS may be lit up with the usual "oh $%ck" and "Im done"

I will actually be surprised if the outlap goes through without any contact and there should be a big penalty for anyone hitting someone on the outlap. As there should be for anyone that gains a position before the start of lap 2.

At least its a change and a rolling start will allow different gearing then a standing start at least for me.  :D

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2016, 10:13:40 AM »
Cant wait to hear the voice of GB going...GO GO GO!!    I love you guys
Followed by Spin, Spin Spin . . . Round, Round Round.

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2016, 11:32:00 AM »
Then quite likely another caused by at least one spinner at Eau Rogue with cold tyres bouncing back on the track and those behind not slowing causing more collisions. Then if people get to Les Combes side by side and not respect racing room contact will happen again TS may be lit up with the usual "oh $%ck" and "Im done"

Hate it when someone drops out. As regular backmarker having people crash gives means a chance to not finish last  ;D  But so often just as we go past the unlucky victim of the day quits thus robbing us of the feeling of victory!

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2016, 12:00:23 PM »

Hate it when someone drops out. As regular backmarker having people crash gives means a chance to not finish last  ;D  But so often just as we go past the unlucky victim of the day quits thus robbing us of the feeling of victory!

I know most likely these were not referred to me, but just to clarify: I left on lap 8 when I realized it was way too hot in my room and was losing concentration (hence the bump on the poor Jeremy---sorry, mate). I then managed to open the windows and get a bit of fresher air, but at the expense of a strange stereo effect: I live over a motorway and I had lambos coming from even more directions than Stan had!

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2016, 12:20:15 PM »
Not referred to you, we had 40 degrees last Sunday so I understand VERY well that sometimes its just too hot!

I'm complaining more in general, it especially happens on public servers where very often I work hard to get pass someone and then they quit  ;D  Too humiliating to be passed by a slow-coach!

Offline StanDaam

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2016, 12:52:08 PM »
Pesky Lambos!!   ;D
Are you running the obligatory fan beside the racing seat Grat?  :P

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2016, 01:13:02 PM »
Is it worth doing a practice run through of our new starting procedure on race night and then reset?

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2016, 02:29:37 PM »
Pesky Lambos!!   ;D
Are you running the obligatory fan beside the racing seat Grat?  :P
No, I don't. I have air con, but it stopped working last Sunday night and I am waiting for it be repaired... :'( you see that drop? it's not a tear. It's sweat!

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2016, 02:37:47 PM »
Is it worth doing a practice run through of our new starting procedure on race night and then reset?

Is it really that complicated, all line up on the grid then as the light goes green go single file with the pole car controlling pace with Wally saying this to be 80-120kmh. Then the pole car says when to go and no passing before the line, I suspect we will have a couple goes at it as someone will surely crash into someone while doing the slow lap and trying to keep their tyres warmer.

Then in the first half of the lap the odd bit of carnage as usual will happen mid pack as its simply people not being aware of others and not leaving room or not holding lanes when overlapped that cause most contacts. Changing the start procedure may spread the field a little more but especially from eau rogue to les combes exit there will be lots of cars overlapping no matter if its a standing or rolling start so this has no effect beyond t1.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2016, 03:41:17 PM »
Marty: You're probably right that it's not going to make much of a difference. Plenty of accidents happened in the past races after we were mostly on one file already. To put it simply, it is hard for some of us (me definitely included) to judge many distances and relative speeds at the same time. Small contacts will unfortunately happen and they will sometime lead to chaos. For myself, I do not know if there is anything wrong with my FOV, but judging relative speeds is one of the things I find hardest in the sim.

All this said, worse case scenario it's fun to try something new. After all, this is how many GT races start... although not single file.

In any case, the only clarification I would need is what "passing before the line" exactly means. I interpret it as "you go on throttle when the leader says "go" but you will lift if (and only if) you might have your front bumper ahead of the front bumper of the car ahead of you". BUT I might be wrong and it means no overlapping. Just asking to be on the safe side.

PS: I also assume no lift is allowed until 1st braking zone unless it's to avoid an unlawful pass (otherwise we risk brake-checking each other here).

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2016, 03:52:30 PM »
No passing before the line I would assume means you cant gain any position before the start of the next lap.

Defining if overlap is allowed or not is needed but seeing its a single file start assuming no overlap would seem most likely. Are there penalties to be given for overlap (if not allowed) and also what is the penalty for making a pass before the line?

Clearly cars must be able to lift as there are different cars in the pack and if the leader goes at start of main straight then some cars may need to lift to avoid a pass or overlap due to better speed and acceleration.

Its the responsibility of all cars not to run into the car ahead at all times be it at the rolling start, t1 or any other time in any session I think.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2016, 05:56:30 PM »
If we are allowing a restarts then it may as well be a practice.  I say either we do a practice or no restarts as has been the basic rule.  Don't say I didn't provide warning though!  :D

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2016, 07:10:39 PM »
Do we restart if Marty stuffs up his GO GO GO!!!!!!!!!!!?????????

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2016, 07:16:52 PM »
To be clear, no passing before the start line means no overlapping before the start line. I.e. stay behind the rear bumper of the car in front. I will clarify all this in the Spa thread later.

No restarts for accidents (only stuck in pits etc), just like always. Like damage, it makes you a little more careful.

I'm not going to introduce penalties for everything left, right and centre that you can possibly do wrong.

Guys, don't over-analyse everything to the death and tell my nothing is ever going to work. All the theory in the world is useless if you don't put it into practice. Let's just try it.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2016, 07:19:10 PM »
Do we restart if Marty stuffs up his GO GO GO!!!!!!!!!!!?????????

Good point! I barely understand Marty's accent over TP. Well, most of you, actually. I need to practice!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal