Xtreme Gaming Network

S7 Silverstone post race chat

Author Topic: S7 Silverstone post race chat  (Read 25647 times)

Rolz

Re: S7 Silverstone post race chat
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2015, 01:22:16 PM »
These days I close everything except TS and AC... even check Task Manager to see if anything else is running in the background... stupid Acrobat reader auto updater etc...

Offline steve_xland

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2015, 01:59:24 PM »
Steve, I suppose you've enabled the app in the AC launcher as well as selected it from the edge app menu on track?

Well to be honest iot didn't appear in the edge menu list . I didn't think to look for any enabling in options so I'll check it out a bit further tonight. I know during the race I had run wide a few times each time I was lifting off the throttle to try to keep things honest.
"that;s what she actually looks like!" - Pablo Picasso

Offline steve_xland

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2015, 02:03:28 PM »
Just a though on WobblyOne last night.
He's normally a very clean driver, although only having one arm can make him a little 'swervy' from time to time.
However, I believe that the problem last night was more connection based than driver related.
He lives over on Great Barrier Island which may have had some internet issues. Not sure exactly what his connection setup is but I've raced with him for years & he's not one to cause incidents normally.
"that;s what she actually looks like!" - Pablo Picasso

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2015, 02:26:31 PM »
Yeah, he's normally been ok. When he hit me, he was just going straight across grass and track, so his connection may have dropped.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Rolz

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2015, 02:32:43 PM »
Yeah, he's normally been ok. When he hit me, he was just going straight across grass and track, so his connection may have dropped.

Or making an effort to line you up  :P

Offline Shameless_1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2015, 03:43:17 PM »
I'm still not sure I'm calm enough to post after last nights disgrace.. how many times do members have to be told to take it easy for at least the first few corners before they wake up..  This is more like a public server than League racing.

Yet another start where people don't listen and are trying to push their way through the pack on the first corner..

Attached is a screenshot that shows Rob about to hit UnFknBLievable under brakes from behind in the first corner, sorry Rob but thats a penalty. I thought maybe he then tapped me off, I was mistaken.. both Perch and Joe (red and white ferraris) not paying attention scaping paint, side hit each other and I got tapped off as a result of it.  People need to start paying attention and learn some racing etiquette.

I don't know how many times it's been said "you can't win a race in the first corner" yet people are still pushing.. Sprint racing seems to be a major cause of this or so I thought.. but no 15 lap race wasn't much better.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 03:44:54 PM by Shameless_1 »
--- A quitter never races and a Racer never quits. ---

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2015, 04:18:15 PM »
Hi Steve!! I have no problem with wobblysauce at all.But talking about racing...everybody here have few years of online racing on the shoulders and we know you cant appear in front of another driver during qual,is very annoying,....especially on those long tracks like Silverstone
.....and you do it again next lap,..cmon a bit of skills
Of course is just a game so forgive  my whinge,and yes i love doing well because is more fun...thats all,otherwise why showing up?

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2015, 04:47:50 PM »
Race 1 I was T-boned at Club corner by someone in a blue McLaren, no re-dress.
Had to wait for the whole pack to pass for a safe re-entry.

Race 2 and was caught up after the 2 in front spun and left me nowhere to go.

I don't think it effected my races too much as I'm bloody useless in this car. :-[

2+2=√16

Rolz

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2015, 04:52:44 PM »
I'm still not sure I'm calm enough to post after last nights disgrace.. how many times do members have to be told to take it easy for at least the first few corners before they wake up..  This is more like a public server than League racing.

Yet another start where people don't listen and are trying to push their way through the pack on the first corner..

Attached is a screenshot that shows Rob about to hit UnFknBLievable under brakes from behind in the first corner, sorry Rob but thats a penalty. I thought maybe he then tapped me off, I was mistaken.. both Perch and Joe (red and white ferraris) not paying attention scaping paint, side hit each other and I got tapped off as a result of it.  People need to start paying attention and learn some racing etiquette.

I don't know how many times it's been said "you can't win a race in the first corner" yet people are still pushing.. Sprint racing seems to be a major cause of this or so I thought.. but no 15 lap race wasn't much better.

Is the difference these cars are so much fast than the last season it's catching a few people?
We might get better as we get used to the cars... my own confidence levels took a battering when I was a magnet to Bird one evening...  :o

There is the whole - it's only a game, but then I have had my blood boil when I thought I was taken out after the long endure race we had... only to watch it on replay the next day after I had chilled out and saw it was best a "racing incident"

Do we need a stronger penalty system and review board?
Does it take it take away the fun...

Maybe we get a proper discussion on this maybe in a day or two when it's settled down a bit?  ;D

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2015, 06:23:14 PM »
The best thing is just to talk about it. I am not going to review collisions between 24 people over 23 laps. You do the math.

If someone else with lots of experience  wants to volunteer to be a post-race scrutineer of reported incidents, then please step up. You will have to look at every reported incident though. It's not a part-time position.

ALWAYS WATCH THE REPLAY BEFORE YOU BLOW A VALVE. Things are usually not as they seem in the cold light of day after the heat of battle.

Yes, these cars are fast. And slippery. And they have different braking distances. Our seasons always improve after the lessons learned from round 1.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline UnFknBLievable

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2015, 07:14:58 PM »
I don't think the cars and "first race of the season" has anything to do with it. It's called common sense and giving enough room to brake and make the first bloody corner of a race! Twice last night at the first corner, both races I got rammed up the ass. It's not hard to give a bit of head room when you have the remaining 7.9 laps to overtake, more so when everybody is so bunched up together.

I get the difference between a racing accident and plain ignorance. A solution? You could try quadrupling the penalty points for the first lap, then default penalty points for the remainder of the race.

As said above, we all have enough race sim experience to know when it's going to get hairy. Use that knowledge and save some of us the drama while keeping the racing clean.

Offline Vipergod

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2015, 07:45:28 PM »
R1 wheel was not calibrated and had bugger all control
R2 fixed wheel and finished 7th (from dead last 8))
Observation from the back of the pack.  I see cars flying past others going in T1 all the time   there is NO way you can pull up because of the concertina effect. Passing at T1 is ok if there is space, but as Wally said there are things going on up front that will ripple down the whole field.
if you see someone slowing down its not to let you past its because the whole field is
Just my 2 cents worth

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2015, 08:06:01 PM »
ALWAYS WATCH THE REPLAY BEFORE YOU BLOW A VALVE. Things are usually not as they seem in the cold light of day after the heat of battle.

This exactly as things arent always as they seem and many times you may see that you are in error when you didnt think so at the time. Main reason I save replays is to see any incidents I have to see if it may have been my fault so that I can learn to not make the same mistakes again. I always try to avoid contact in any session on any lap not just the start of the race, at the race starts its extra critical to give room to anyone with overlap as this is when collisions are most likely. Now if warps are involved with cars around you in close quarters then many incidents will be unavoidable.

Silverstone is a very awkward first section of corners and it zig zags right left right left so at the start of the race you need to be extra aware not to straight line these sections as there are bound to be people beside you so you need to hold your lane unless sure that you are clear. Also its easy for a car to be in a blind-spot so you may need to leave a bit of extra room for other cars that may be alongside. There is nothing wrong with passing people early but if you make a move then you better be able to pull it off clean otherwise suffer the penalty. There is a rule to redress so if you clean someone up the least you can do is wait for them somewhere clearly off line and let them by again before resuming the race. This is your penalty as you have made this person lose that many positions and so if it drops you to the back of the field maybe next time you wont ruin another persons race early too.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2015, 08:11:07 PM »
I've just had another look at the race 1 start, from several cars, several angles, slomo. I missed some incidents and penalties at the back of the grid.

I saw that Gratulin ran into the back of Joe, causing him to hit Perch and Perch to hit Shameless in a chain reaction. Shameless was the only driver really disadvantaged, so Gratulin gets a 4 pt penalty and Shameless gets a 4 point bonus.

I also saw that Rob ran into the back of Unfknblvbl, so Rob gets a 4 pt penalty and Unfknblvbl gets a 4 pt bonus.

In race 2, despite StanDaam's warping of several car lengths causing accidents, the race start was clean.

Also, to put this into perspective, this means we had 3 mistakes out of 48 cars going through turns 1 and 2 (over two races).
That is far from a disgrace.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 08:13:28 PM by Wally »

Offline Shameless_1

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2015, 08:29:12 PM »
No one I believe is questioning your job or time you put in Wally. 

I did watch the replay but was more focused on Tom than myself as I was helping him. I'm not attempting to single anyone out here either.

I said disgrace because all of us in this season should have enough experience in how to take turn 1 without incident.. I've raced here before and I've run a season here before and have had plenty of race seasons over several games without a single incident in turn 1, even the first entire lap.

I know we all make mistakes, me included, and I know incidents happen every race.. but it's not rocket science to take it slower to the first corner and be in a lower gear than usual around the first corner so you have complete control over braking and acceleration.. It's those that are pushing too hard (regardless of how fast the car is) on cold tyres.. I for one don't enjoy sprint races because I think it promotes it.

I guess I'm just tired trying to do the right thing on the track and paying for it race after race due to others carelessness..
--- A quitter never races and a Racer never quits. ---

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal