Xtreme Gaming Network

The State of Assetto Corsa

Author Topic: The State of Assetto Corsa  (Read 33893 times)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
Re: The State of Assetto Corsa
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2016, 10:33:17 AM »

Chris, there's danger in the auto-loading of content, too; it can contain malware or completely inappropriate content. 
I guess that's why it's not used usually.

I guess that threat is real with any third party content for any game Sim Racing or otherwise. You just show due diligence and do your best to make sure that the source is trustworthy. That said I have not heard a single complaint from any racer anywhere about get mod pulling down nefarious content.

yeah but if it auto-loads you can't do your due diligence is my point :)

Offline Bruce

• Global Moderator
  • "Look out, I'm comin' through!"
    • View Profile
    • Delray and Buttonmania
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2016, 10:36:26 AM »
Great discussion, besides all the "simulation" related items, AC provides a simple system to use from a client and server persepective, even with the stuff ups i did, operator error  :-[
Also the clean graphics in AC on my equipment is a + and with the netcode working so well, it will be hard to beat for me, but I will add, I have recently had some 'runs' in Pcars and found once in the race, fighting for a position... I don't notice anything of it's shortcomings.
"I refuse to be what you call normal." Lemmy Caution

Offline christopheraser

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2016, 10:54:31 AM »

Chris, there's danger in the auto-loading of content, too; it can contain malware or completely inappropriate content. 

I guess that threat is real with any third party content for any game Sim Racing or otherwise. You just show due diligence and do your best to make sure that the source is trustworthy. That said I have not heard a single complaint from any racer anywhere about get mod pulling down nefarious content.

I don't really follow what you're saying. Due diligence is if you don't trust the source, in this case the server. Don't download the content from it. You always get to apply it in most aspects of daily life, this scenario included. I rarely use getmod, not because I'm afraid of getting bad content. I have a pretty bad connection and I prefer to track the content down myself and download it at night or while I'm at work. However someone bought up mismatches earlier in the thread, so I thought I would point out that ISI has put a measure in place to stop this type of frustration.

That said we have strayed away from the topic again. This is something wrong with the internet as a whole. You can't even trust source forge any more.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 11:13:37 AM by christopheraser »

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2016, 11:42:49 AM »
I think, realistically, the only competition AC has is rF2 at this point in time.  For me:

* iRacing is cost prohibitive, doesn't handle as well and doesn't seem to have the league community structure.

* PCARS sounds like it doesn't handle well

I'm not sure there are others worth looking at?

I guess with AC, it isn't feature rich, but it has the building blocks in place of a good physics and graphics engine so you would expect the "nice" things like pit lane speed limits, etc. to be more easily added than if you had a crap physics engine but good bits and bobs.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2016, 11:54:19 AM »

I don't really follow what you're saying. Due diligence is if you don't trust the source, in this case the server. Don't download the content from it. You always get to apply it in most aspects of daily life, this scenario included. I rarely use getmod, not because I'm afraid of getting bad content. I have a pretty bad connection and I prefer to track the content down myself and download it at night or while I'm at work. However someone bought up mismatches earlier in the thread, so I thought I would point out that ISI has put a measure in place to stop this type of frustration.

That said we have strayed away from the topic again. This is something wrong with the internet as a whole. You can't even trust source forge any more.

Sorry - I was referring to "auto-loading" content, I thought that's what is happening.  (i.e. with no user interaction)

Eg new user joins, his car's (malicious or offensive) skin is automatically downloaded. 
Or; you join the server, and all the content you didn't have, automatically downloaded.

But even if I have the option, I can't run my virus check on it, or see the URL, so for me it's of little use (I don't have a virus scanner set up to auto-scan everything; I prefer manually scan stuff with meta-scanners)

But I digress :)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 01:29:43 PM by Bird »

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2016, 01:20:01 PM »
Not wishing to encourage the diversion from the OP topic - what were we taking about again? - however, the download feature in rF2 and integration with Steam workshop are great features. We have lots of issues with version control of mods, skins, setups in AC. It's a pain arse!

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2016, 03:49:44 PM »
Marty are you running a laptop with a secondary gpu? I had that problem for ages. For some reason rf2 will not let you use the secondary GPU.

No a fairly powerfull 2x Titan SLI setup  ;) running at 8000x1440 triple screen res RF2 wont even run at 30fps with settings greatly reduced. Maxed out Pcars and AC run at 100+ on my own and well over 60 which I cap to in full fields. RF1 and GSCE would run at 200fps + at this res. RF2 looks not much better then RF1 yet runs terrible in SLI, RF2 I needed to turn everything down on an already not great looking engine to run properly so it looks like some old arcade game lol. I also ran single screen at 4K and RF2 same issues, running a single card it gets more fps then SLI which pretty much halves it but still not good enough for high res on a single card to play normally.

Ive had recent PC issues though with win 10 and pretty much everything but thats crashing issues not poor performance but I didnt like the driving model enough in RF2 to bother with the recent updates.

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2016, 02:27:18 PM »
Hello!! i am back !!   lololol

I wish i could try them all,i am sure i `d love them all but if i have to give any preferences i`d say Iracing is the best at the moment,well constructed,incredible multiplayer,and why not terrific feel. Guybrush said:* iRacing is cost prohibitive, doesn't handle as well and doesn't seem to have the league community structure.
Cmon mate,lets play something before judging,i have just apply for a GT3 league champ on sunday night but the grid is full(38 players) and there are more private australian leagues to choose from,and the cost......cmon its 50 dollars a year,yes 50 because everytime the time comes to pay they offer me a 50% discount...
I deeply love AC but its not the only one,and unless you know XGN you end up playing....with yourself and thats my main complain(if we can call a complain) Iracing(terrible name) is a more modern,multyplayer competitive sim,and yes it can costs 20 dollars more ...per year
The plug and play of iracing is terrific,all the mods are well integrated in the game,no more zip this zip that...all done for you
The online experience with AC has been a bit rough with all those spikes and its almost impossible to play with someone from overseas,and yes i agree with chris about those tyre temp and camber,,,its not very clear,but i guess AC will improve

But sure i love driving with you guys after all i have been doing for 10 years,and if you ask me to play Cars or FR2..  i would not hesitate to follow you!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 02:31:12 PM by Simone »

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2016, 02:47:19 PM »
You seem to have forgotten the cost of content on iR, Simone :D

Edit: you've also forgotten the early (read: first 3 or so years) of terrible problems with iRacing.  Let's see where AC will be in a couple of years...I'm hoping very close :)

And those early years of iR did cost me $160US /yr  !
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 02:51:02 PM by Bird »

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2016, 03:36:19 PM »

I wish i could try them all,i am sure i `d love them all but if i have to give any preferences i`d say Iracing is the best at the moment,well constructed,incredible multiplayer,and why not terrific feel. Guybrush said:* iRacing is cost prohibitive, doesn't handle as well and doesn't seem to have the league community structure.
Cmon mate,lets play something before judging,i have just apply for a GT3 league champ on sunday night but the grid is full(38 players) and there are more private australian leagues to choose from,and the cost......cmon its 50 dollars a year,yes 50 because everytime the time comes to pay they offer me a 50% discount...
I deeply love AC but its not the only one,and unless you know XGN you end up playing....with yourself and thats my main complain(if we can call a complain) Iracing(terrible name) is a more modern,multyplayer competitive sim,and yes it can costs 20 dollars more ...per year
The plug and play of iracing is terrific,all the mods are well integrated in the game,no more zip this zip that...all done for you
The online experience with AC has been a bit rough with all those spikes and its almost impossible to play with someone from overseas,and yes i agree with chris about those tyre temp and camber,,,its not very clear,but i guess AC will improve

But sure i love driving with you guys after all i have been doing for 10 years,and if you ask me to play Cars or FR2..  i would not hesitate to follow you!

I subscribed to iRacing for a year and played it on and off over that time.  This was 2 or 3 years ago though.  Based on how the cars handled then it was not realistic IMO - or not intuitive and natural feeling like AC.  I understand the tyre model has improved somewhat though.

Yes, it's $50 a year, but that gets you only a handful of cars and tracks.  I'm not sure what they cost now but back then it was around $12 a car and $20 a track.  Something like Dream Pack 3 for AC would cost ~$115, as opposed to the ~$15 it did actually cost.

I ended up spending, from memory, around $250 just to get started with a reasonable collection.  This is why it's cost prohibitive.

I also found that there was no real "connection" with the people you played with.  You ask to take part in one of the hourly races and end up with whoever you end up with.  There was no choice of track or car if you didn't like the couple of different combos on offer (unless you rented a server?) it was all pre-defined and felt very disconnected.  And if the people you raced against pulled out, or you crashed out, or whatever, you had to wait another hour until the next race.  So in an evening you might squeeze in 2 or 3 races as opposed to the constant opportunity to race online in AC on something like one of Marty's servers.  I don't know if this has changed - I'm guessing it has?

Also Simone, I don't know how long it's been since you tried racing AC online, but since 1.4 the warping has been almost eradicated - unless someone has a really poor connection or ultra-high ping.

I'm always tempted to give iRacing another try, but then I know that all of the cars and tracks I purchased when I started are probably unpopular now and so I'd have to go through the whole process again of spending big $$$ just to get a decent amount of popular content again.

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2016, 04:22:37 PM »
Its ok bird and guybrush,all valid points and also i believe at the end of the day we still enjoy whatever sim we play,and more importantly still making friends.
I have never been very "anal" on my gaming choices,and all of them have something new to offer,and thats why competition in the sim world is paramount.
Apart that cant wait to start the GT3 AC  championship here at XGN!!!!

Offline StanDaam

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2016, 12:31:34 AM »
I subscribed to iRacing for a year and played it on and off over that time.
I also found that there was no real "connection" with the people you played with.  You ask to take part in one of the hourly races and end up with whoever you end up with.  There was no choice of track or car if you didn't like the couple of different combos on offer (unless you rented a server?) it was all pre-defined and felt very disconnected.

+1 GB!! I did a very similar stint at iracing at about that time and also found it very impersonal.
Also found myself not actually enjoying the racing. It became more of a safety rating game. "Don't race me I'm just here to get my SR rating up. If I miss this chance then the promotions don't come up again for 3 months... don't touch me!!"... safety similation...  :P
Plus the iskating feeling which you mentioned, which might be fixed now...

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2016, 10:34:02 AM »
Does that mean people in Iracing give up positions as easily as AC ai does. Maybe thats why some get surprised when you actually make them work for it in AC.

I had a similar view on iracing also around the same time, had the physics felt half realistic I may have dumped a fair bit of money into it. Lucky for me I prefer snowboarding instead of iskateing and didnt bother with it beyond the trial.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2016, 10:44:45 AM »
in iracing its safer to start last if possible and miss the first corner carnage and try and get your safety rating up :(

Leagues are different, no rating to worry about. If you find a league its just like racing AC with mates
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2016, 10:57:40 AM »
in iracing its safer to start last if possible and miss the first corner carnage and try and get your safety rating up :(

Leagues are different, no rating to worry about. If you find a league its just like racing AC with mates
That's only really true for the bottom tiers - where you guys have been.  Up from C it's racing, and in A - and I presume even more in PRO (never got there - Simone did!)  - it's really tough racing.   

At that point you've enough experience - and you know the people around you do too - that accidents are really occasional.  They - unless someone is a dickhead - don't happen often enough to do you any damage.  If someone *is* a wrecker, though, they'll drop down quickly. 

So yeah, after about 3 seasons you can get to the point where it starts to become interesting :D
Also, as you go up you more and more see the same blokes around, as everyone settles into the series they like, and you get to put into splits that are "your level" (by your lap times IIRC?)

It's not that bad, but pricey - and I dunno about the car feel, I won't pay $50 to test it again.  When I left it it was rubbish (compared to AC now, but even compared to nkP back then) but that was a few years back.

Plus it pisses me completely off, that after spending upwards $600 on the whole affair, I got nothing now.  I can't even run an offline lap.   Even though I knew what I've signed up for, this rubs me the wrong way.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 10:59:54 AM by Bird »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal