Xtreme Gaming Network

S25R5: Monterey Triple Crown at Laguna Seca

Author Topic: S25R5: Monterey Triple Crown at Laguna Seca  (Read 17977 times)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
Re: S25R5: Monterey Triple Crown at Laguna Seca
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2018, 09:05:01 AM »
Yeah, it's one of those cars that need a little throttle to turn well & stable.  Give it a bit more and the rear rotates (guess this is the secret to the top times).   Give it yet a little bit more and you go around :)

Offline ab156

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2018, 03:14:47 PM »
Was a round of survival for me, this track always presents a unique challenge for me.

Decided to start at the back and just try to circulate.  I see Able copped a penalty for the tap I got on lap 1.  The contact was borderline, I actually waited for him because I thought I may have closed the door a bit late.  Anyway, no harm done.

Just plodded around watching the brad / Freezer / Keith battle for most of the night.  Pitted and put softs on by mistake, drove to try and conserve the rubber letting Wally close in.  I think I had enough straight line handling in reserve to hold him off but as he mentioned he had a moment with a few laps to go so I just cruised home.  I was catch Keith who looked to have fried the tyres on the Merc but I had not intention on trying bomb dive into a corner given the gap the C9 pulled on the straights.

All in all I was happy to get a 10th.  Not something I would say often!

Offline Matthew111

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2018, 05:51:08 PM »
Had a blast last night car was super hooked up, helps that i do enjoy laguna seca.
Qual was mega not much left in it, just slid into all the turns just right was pretty happy with it, race started ok but car was tricky on lap 1 with cold tyres and a full tank and with kcender looking racey i went wide at the final turn and he took the lead and pulled away until his early stop so he must have been light. I kept running my own race pushing while trying not to over cook the tyres, come the 30min mark i pitted and again my maths failed as i took 8L too much fuel which is a killer when its 1second a litre to fill the thing so i robbed myself of a lot of time to kcender who was now 17secs ahead! I put my head down and just went qual laps to try and catch kcender, juggling the boost settings and still trying to save the tyres lol. With 5 mins to go i managed to catch him which i never thought was going to happen at the start of the stint. I could see he was struggling with tyres as i caught him and come turn 3 he went wide and i snuck passed, lucky that happened because i really didnt have much to fight with as i used up all the tyre trying to catch him lol.
 All in all a rewarding round for me probably the best i have driven in a long time good fun :) and the back markers did a great job leaving room!
do you even motorsports?

Offline doobs

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2018, 06:54:45 PM »
Worst feeling car I've had in weeks and I couldn't get any consistency at all.
Did my usual half spin and damage the car early so I had to peek through a broken windscreen for the first half of the race. That didn't help.
After that, it all went pretty much the way it had all week and I did the odd good lap, (not great), but couldn't drive consistently enough to catch anyone.
I don't know where I finished, all I know is it was disappointing.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2018, 07:29:24 PM »
First outing in the long tail for me and unfortunately didn't get much time to work out tyre wear, fuel etc so just went with full tanks and mediums for the first 25 laps.
It was getting fairly slippery in the final 5 laps before grabbing another set of mediums and fuel to the end.
Race wise qualy was a bit average to start in 11th, but got away cleanly and tucked in behind a group of 4 others.  I think I managed about two passes (a season record) before
spinning myself and dropping around four!  Most of the rest of the race was fairly lonley, I only saw Jeremy toward the end who I let by under blue flags, but then he seemed to slow
a lot in the dying laps so I ran back past and cruised home.
Probably a tricky track for the long tail on my first outing but am expecting Watkins Glen to be better.  Certainly good having a push to pass button :)

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2018, 08:01:21 PM »
It was a pretty decent race considering I didn't prepare like I usually do. Tyre pressures were probably off, but I managed to get the fuel right...and, surprisingly enough, keep the Mazda actually on the track. Wouldn't have thought that's possible.
Bad start. Was behind Keith for some time, but lacked power to make a pass. and towards the end Brad's dot on the map got closer and closer...phew, just made it.
Brad, I think it was you, who caught me just before the finish line at Daytona...haha, worked out a bit better for me this time.

I won't make it for the next race...will be back then after the Christmas break.
Yeah, so a merry Christmas to all of you!

Cheers

Online Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2018, 08:08:35 AM »
A combination of discoing everytime I clicked "drive" and a flared up stomach ulcer is the reason for my absence. :'(

2+2=√16

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2018, 09:40:35 AM »
A combination of discoing everytime I clicked "drive" and a flared up stomach ulcer is the reason for my absence. :'(
I was wondering where you were. They treat ulcers with antibiotics these days, don't they?
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Online Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2018, 09:53:29 AM »
I was wondering where you were. They treat ulcers with antibiotics these days, don't they?
Possibly, after an endoscopy, but that's a 8-12 month waiting list.
Until then, it's just expensive as shit Nexium. :(

2+2=√16

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2018, 11:51:29 AM »
Possibly, after an endoscopy, but that's a 8-12 month waiting list.
Until then, it's just expensive as shit Nexium. :(
I had chronic ulcers 25 years ago. Back then, the solution was cut part of your stomach out. I used to drink lots of mylanta with an extra teaspoon of bicarb of soda in it to neutralise the acid.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2018, 04:12:59 PM »
Worst feeling car I've had in weeks and I couldn't get any consistency at all.
Did my usual half spin and damage the car early so I had to peek through a broken windscreen for the first half of the race. That didn't help.
After that, it all went pretty much the way it had all week and I did the odd good lap, (not great), but couldn't drive consistently enough to catch anyone.
I don't know where I finished, all I know is it was disappointing.

Spend quite a number of laps behind you before managing to lap you Doobs, during that time your pace did not look too bad! Can only assume you lost a lot of time somewhere earlier in the race.

For myself took a gamble on softs and it certainly paid off during the first few laps, especially to stay out of trouble. Even contemplated challenging Phil at one stage but as the tires started to go off I just concentrated on staying on track. Once major mistake (a right turn instead of left at the corkscrew, same as Wally) robbed me of a chance to challenge Jeremy but his mysterious last lap shenanigans mean a very satisfying  4th place was achieved.

Hope to see you well and back racing soon Bacchulum. Without you and Joe there was nobody to crash into  :P

Offline doobs

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2018, 07:31:03 PM »

Spend quite a number of laps behind you before managing to lap you Doobs, during that time your pace did not look too bad! Can only assume you lost a lot of time somewhere earlier in the race.

Thanks, I had decent pace if I managed to do a whole lap. Screwed my car in the first couple of laps and lost 20 -30 seconds just tooling around. It was all a blur......mainly because my windscreen was shot from lap two till when I pitted.  LOL

Offline Simone

• Xtreme Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2018, 09:41:25 PM »
I am so jealous Phil...you win all the time!!   Hey guys i am ok,our internet failed for a week soooo ye thats why i did not show up. But then again you could not  not give a shit if i am racing or not.....mmmuuhahahaahahaa   

Offline bradc

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2018, 07:06:42 AM »
Wow, what a long hour that was....

I don't know what it is about this place, but I always find it easy to catch the car in front, but then struggle to be quick enough to make a pass! My race started off well, and I was 3rd in the line behind Jermery and Bird for the first 15 mintues, which was a lot of fun. There was a really great battle going on and it was very intense. I felt there was potential to get into an overtaking position on Bird on the run to the corkscrew, however there simply wasn't any room to throw down a safe pass. After a few laps I considered a dive, because it seemed we were both being slowed, however there wasn't enough trackwidth where such a move could be made where I wasn't going to destroy both our races. So for a little while there I backed off the boost to conserve fuel as whist neither of us could pass. In real terms, I didn't feel I was losing that much time as at that stage of the race I think I was within a second of my max race pace so we really were not losing that much time, plus the 3 of us were moving forward from those behind us. Of course frustration and impatience set in and not long after I watched Bird spin off in front of me and I did something similar. I'm going to handball blame to my aging medium's and not my heavy footedness (is that even a word?) on the throttle. Fortunately there was no damaged but the 15 seconds I lost rejoining the track pushed my back into Freezer territory....

Freezer was all over the back of my Long tail. At the time my rear tyres were in the red area of life and I simple had bugger all left in them as I was simply burning fuel to get me to my stop so that I could push on home. I'm not sure how Freezer had his Longtail tuned, but it was A LOT faster in a straight line (than mine) which was putting me under a lot of pressure at the end of the front curve and up the hill. On the exit of the corkscrew I mucked up and Freezer was able to pass. Fortunately not long after this (could of even been the next lap) he was off track and I passed him back and the battle continued, until I understeered off the track at the penultimate corner. Seeing it was only a lap earlier than i'd planed I decided I'd just pit and managed to over take Keith in the stops. Not long after that I was battling Keith's C9 and that thing was might hard to keep behind me. I made another moment on the last corner and he easily passed me down the front curve. It was really interesting following Keith's C9 as doing so improved the turn in of my Longtail! All night long I'd struggled in getting the front of the Longtail to turn in. At time it felt like I was steering a fishing trawler but with the tow of the C9, suddenly, I had a finely balanced car!

About 10 minutes from the end of the race Keith made a mistake and I was able to get past him and Killagorrilla was 11 seconds down the road to me. I decided to roll the dice and see if I could catch him. Over the next 10 minutes it felt like I was doing qualifying lap after qualifying lap and I managed to get to the rear his Mazda on the last lap. Sadly (for me) I was a lap too late in getting there as there was no time left to try a move. The performance difference between the two was enough where he held onto 7th at the line. In all honestly, I used up the so much of the tyre life in just getting to killa, that there was properly nothing left to make a pass but it was still a lot of fun!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal