Xtreme Gaming Network

Lola T70 at Le Mans

Author Topic: Lola T70 at Le Mans  (Read 6731 times)

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 09:32:49 PM by rooshooter »
social media is the tobacco of this century

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: Lola T70 at Le Mans
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 09:20:53 AM »
    Quote from Dickie Meaden

"Time is precious on the full 24-Hour circuit, so Le Mans Classic practice/qualifying sessions are short and sweet. You don’t have many chances at finding a clear lap - in truth if you’re sharing a car you each have time for an out-lap and two fliers to post your time. Given it’s most likely been two years since the majority of drivers competing at LMC drivers have driven the circuit, its ultra-high-speed nature makes it a formidable challenge.

The T70 is a monster around La Sarthe. We quickly find a taller fifth gear is required, as it’s happily butting into the rev limiter three times along the Mulsanne and once on the run to Indianapolis. A look at the gearing chart shows this to be a smidge under 180mph. Gulp.

The footage you see here is from qualifying. It was the second of two flying laps and hopefully gives you some idea of how mighty these Group 5 machines are, and how magnificent the 24-Hour circuit is in a car blessed with more grunt than mechanical grip. Despite my ugly stab at second gear into the last chicane, the resulting 4min 13sec lap was good enough for pole, ahead of - yep, you guessed it - two more Mk3Bs. Indeed, there were six of them in the top-10, split by the one-off Duckhams Ford, Carlos Monteverde’s Ferrari 512 M and a brace of Chevron B19s.

Sadly, we would go on to retire the car midway through the first race, but even driving those few qualifying laps was a truly unforgettable experience. One that, for a few short laps, transported me to the heart of possibly the most iconic era of endurance racing: one celebrated to this day and defined by beautiful, bellowing and brutally fast machines such as the T70. Life - and historic racing - doesn’t get much better".           
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 09:31:07 PM by rooshooter »

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 03:26:18 PM »

Time is precious on the full 24-Hour circuit, so Le Mans Classic practice/qualifying sessions are short and sweet. You don’t have many chances at finding a clear lap - in truth if you’re sharing a car you each have time for an out-lap and two fliers to post your time. Given it’s most likely been two years since the majority of drivers competing at LMC drivers have driven the circuit, its ultra-high-speed nature makes it a formidable challenge.

The T70 is a monster around La Sarthe. We quickly find a taller fifth gear is required, as it’s happily butting into the rev limiter three times along the Mulsanne and once on the run to Indianapolis. A look at the gearing chart shows this to be a smidge under 180mph. Gulp.

The footage you see here is from qualifying. It was the second of two flying laps and hopefully gives you some idea of how mighty these Group 5 machines are, and how magnificent the 24-Hour circuit is in a car blessed with more grunt than mechanical grip. Despite my ugly stab at second gear into the last chicane, the resulting 4min 13sec lap was good enough for pole, ahead of - yep, you guessed it - two more Mk3Bs. Indeed, there were six of them in the top-10, split by the one-off Duckhams Ford, Carlos Monteverde’s Ferrari 512 M and a brace of Chevron B19s.

Sadly, we would go on to retire the car midway through the first race, but even driving those few qualifying laps was a truly unforgettable experience. One that, for a few short laps, transported me to the heart of possibly the most iconic era of endurance racing: one celebrated to this day and defined by beautiful, bellowing and brutally fast machines such as the T70. Life - and historic racing - doesn’t get much better.         
Hey Rooshooter, I think we need a bit a bio on your racing history here......... seriously impressed by that video!!!

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 04:39:58 PM »

Time is precious on the full 24-Hour circuit, so Le Mans Classic practice/qualifying sessions are short and sweet. You don’t have many chances at finding a clear lap - in truth if you’re sharing a car you each have time for an out-lap and two fliers to post your time. Given it’s most likely been two years since the majority of drivers competing at LMC drivers have driven the circuit, its ultra-high-speed nature makes it a formidable challenge.

Sadly, we would go on to retire the car midway through the first race, but even driving those few qualifying laps was a truly unforgettable experience. One that, for a few short laps, transported me to the heart of possibly the most iconic era of endurance racing: one celebrated to this day and defined by beautiful, bellowing and brutally fast machines such as the T70. Life - and historic racing - doesn’t get much better.         
Hey Rooshooter, I think we need a bit a bio on your racing history here......... seriously impressed by that video!!!
LOL Freezer, I should have credited Dicky Meaden to the comments, anyway ,  gave me a big ego trip for a moment , that anybody would think it was me at the wheel of this monster ;D ;D ;D.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 04:42:38 PM by rooshooter »

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 09:44:46 AM »

LOL Freezer, I should have credited Dicky Meaden to the comments, anyway ,  gave me a big ego trip for a moment , that anybody would think it was me at the wheel of this monster ;D ;D ;D.
Ah...... didn't see the "Quote from Dickie Meaden".    You should have taken the credit . . :):)

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 10:09:13 AM »

Ah...... didn't see the "Quote from Dickie Meaden".    You should have taken the credit . . :):)
Yes, it could have been fun, pretending I was an international jet setting ,top gun , historic racing car driver ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) ::).

"Quote from Dickie Meaden" was added later to prevent any more misunderstanding.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal