Xtreme Gaming Network

AC News

Author Topic: AC News  (Read 763636 times)

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
AC News
« Reply #795 on: July 21, 2015, 04:21:24 PM »
I agree with what everyone has been saying re blue flags. However, there is another idea that was floated recently in the context of making F1 more interesting. That was to eliminate Blue flags all together! The rational was that it would force the front runners to continue competing for positions and the better skilled driver w.r.t. overtaking would gain the advantage. The spectacle of F1 would be enhanced by providing many more overtaking opportunities and more random outcomes. Some of the best driving in recent F1 has been when Vettel and Massa for example have been forced to come back through the pack.

Relating this to XGN races we want some form of handicapping to make racing more interesting and yet we still want Blue Flags which just makes the racing less interesting!

Just a thought :)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Re: AC News
« Reply #796 on: July 21, 2015, 05:02:48 PM »
Interesting idea! It sounds to me like that would work.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #797 on: July 21, 2015, 06:27:50 PM »
Interesting idea but even if blue flags aren't used people should be fair in their defense, excessive blocking and running people off the road is bad at any time but if its someone not even in the race then I think they should clearly be penalized for this. Its not like we are doing 3hr+ races here so if someone is getting lapped in a 10 to 20 lap race of say 2 minute laps then maybe they should just try their best not to interfere with others that are racing. The person that far down must be losing 120 seconds over this distance so down 6 to 12 seconds per lap what would be the benefit of them blatantly defending positions while being lapped? Does it really make the races more interesting or are they just getting in the way for no real reason.

There are blue flags already and still you need to pass the others safely, its not like a blue flag gives permission to the guy behind to take out the other. It basically means don't hold up that car excessively and don't defend your position as your not racing them. Main thing is people dont have to instantly let you past or drive off the road for blue flags in a race like they should in qualy but just no need to defend their position in any way while shown the blue flag.

In qualifying for example you shouldn't need a blue flag to understand your not on a hotlap and let anyone that catches you past with minimal interference. Same as exiting pits in qualy just basic common sense to not pull across the track and ruin a guys only hotlap due to plain carelessness.

Fair enough that it may spice up the racing but for no real purpose I think, I would much prefer full field reverse grid racing over that suggestion, seeing many here are against that idea then what would be the point of then making back markers in sprint races defend their position, while being lapped and out of the race if you dont even want the faster guys at the back to try and race them properly for position.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 06:30:30 PM by marty »

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #798 on: July 21, 2015, 06:58:24 PM »
A back marker doesn't need to defend their position. In actual fact that would be counter productive given that they are probably racing for their own position. They simply would not need to move over. They can maintain their racing line and the faster guy is expected to fairly execute the overtake. The Blue Flag is to let them know the status of the car coming up behind. No blocking or defending would be necessary.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: July 21, 2015, 07:03:05 PM »
With reverse grid races, there's usually intense chaos in the first lap, and then normal positions settle down pretty quickly. With the backmarker idea though, the overtaking is much later in the race, and involving fewer cars at a time.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #800 on: July 21, 2015, 07:48:11 PM »
A back marker doesn't need to defend their position. In actual fact that would be counter productive given that they are probably racing for their own position. They simply would not need to move over. They can maintain their racing line and the faster guy is expected to fairly execute the overtake. The Blue Flag is to let them know the status of the car coming up behind. No blocking or defending would be necessary.

Thats exactly what the blue flag is for during the race I thought, some do tend to defend this position or simply don't see cars coming behind them. By the suggestion of no blue flags it would mean that anyone can defend their position at any point so I really don't see the point of not having them. As it is though we don't really have them anyway as many don't see the flag, mostly due to the stupid way they are displayed. Anyone on a large triple screen setup will have the top left corner a fair way out of their vision so having it movable would be a good first step for those that at least want to be able to see them.

At all times anyone is entitled to the racing line unless there is overlap and then they should give at least 1 car space whichever side the other car is while there is any overlap. So its not like the guy being lapped can just hold their line going slowly and if a car is inside or out they just blind freddy straight into them. Blue flag or not makes no difference but the blue flag simply says dont hold the guy up too much and don't defend in any way.

Offline Freezer

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: July 22, 2015, 04:22:07 PM »
Anyone on a large triple screen setup will have the top left corner a fair way out of their vision so having it movable would be a good first step for those that at least want to be able to see them.
Thats exactly what I did at Donnington.  With my new triple screen setup I didn't even notice it!   Have now installed the Blue Flag app and placed it front and centre...!

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: July 22, 2015, 04:31:23 PM »
Anyone on a large triple screen setup will have the top left corner a fair way out of their vision so having it movable would be a good first step for those that at least want to be able to see them.
Thats exactly what I did at Donnington.  With my new triple screen setup I didn't even notice it!   Have now installed the Blue Flag app and placed it front and centre...!

Apparently 1.2 is changing the placement of the flags on triples.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: July 25, 2015, 09:40:41 AM »
Snippet from Lord Kunos on the AC forums, which shows he is looking at the netcode for 1.3.

The very first version of AC Server used what I call "megapackets" for the car updates, which is exactly what you are describing, and the bandwidth usage was much better. Currently the server isn't using megapackets because they can, in the worse case scenario, double the latency between 2 clients.. but I am considering retrying the megapackets for 1.3 because of the huge bandwidth win and the fact that it becomes very easy to get a feedback on the connection quality

And he posted a sample file showing the info the server plugins will receive. Tell me if you see anything interesting in here...

"Type":"RACE","DurationSecs":0,"RaceLaps":1,"Cars":[{"CarId":0,"Driver":{"Name":"asd","Team":"asd","Guid":"ks145"},"Model":"bmw_m3_e92","Skin":"black_red","BallastKG":10},{"CarId":1,"Driver":{"Name":"Driver1","Team":"aaa","Guid":"ks2"},"Model":"bmw_m3_e92","Skin":"default","BallastKG":0},{"CarId":2,"Driver":{"Name":"Driver2","Team":"bbb","Guid":"FAKE_CLIENT_1"},"Model":"bmw_m3_e92","Skin":"default","BallastKG":0}
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 09:59:59 AM by Wally »

Rolz

« Reply #804 on: July 25, 2015, 10:03:24 AM »
AI and multiplayer?

Online Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: July 25, 2015, 10:06:32 AM »
Ballast. ;D

2+2=√16

Rolz

« Reply #806 on: July 25, 2015, 10:15:41 AM »
Ballast. ;D

Awesome... didn't see that on my phone and had to scroll across  to see that  ;D

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #807 on: July 25, 2015, 10:19:52 AM »
Ballast and Team?

What do I win?

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: July 25, 2015, 11:08:18 AM »
Ballast and Team?

What do I win?
Ballast. And lots of it.

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #809 on: July 25, 2015, 11:23:53 AM »
It will be interesting to see if ballast can be set on the fly easily enough, so for instance between races.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal