Xtreme Gaming Network

Season 19 - World Endurance Championship on practice server

Author Topic: Season 19 - World Endurance Championship on practice server  (Read 15111 times)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
Season 19 - World Endurance Championship on practice server
« on: September 26, 2017, 11:19:37 PM »
The XGN Tue Practice server currently has the season 19 cars on it, at Mugello. This is just to try the cars and for you to experiment with the LMP1 MGU-K settings (wassat, I hear you ask), rather than to have a race night at Mugello. We'll have a couple of fun or practice races in the next two coming Tuesdays (to be decided), until season 19 proper starts.

But in the meantime, jump on the practice server and try some cars, set some times.

Only the Porsche LMP1 has 75% restrictor to bring it closer to the Toyota and Audi LMP1 cars in lap time. All other cars have no restriction.

It's also a good opportunity to experiment with the MGU-K (Motor Generator Unit-Kinetic) in the LMP1 cars. You will need to map a KERS button so that you can manually activate it. Also get familiar with how your HUD of choice displays how much KERS you have left to activate.

Each LMP1 car has 6 MGU-K modes, which give different profiles for how the energy is harvested from braking and applied automatically under power, which are explained by AC's Aris as:

The Low setting uses less battery, especially on higher speeds/gears
The High setting uses more battery in higher speeds/gears

The Preserve from Aggressive setting, changes how torque is transferred to the front wheels, depending on their slip and thus using more or less battery and heating/wearing more or less the front tyres. Obviously the aggressive setting will give faster lap times but put the front tyres in more stress as well as consume more battery/energy per lap.

Keep in mind that LMP1 drivers use as low a setting as possible and manually boost the ERS with the button in order to overtake slower cars or defend their position.

Some people say it's best to use the "Charging" mode, which doesn't automatically deploy the KERS but leaves its deployment entirely up to you via the manual button activation, so you can choose exactly when to use it. The amount you can deploy resets at the start of each lap (but not how much you have harvested).

In addition to this, you can also cycle through the MGU-K modes on-track with Ctrl-2.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline GymnasticHippo

• View Profile
Re: Season 19 - World Endurance Championship on practice server
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 09:24:58 PM »
For those of us who don't own the ready to race dlc you can't actually join the server :(

Just a heads up...

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 09:49:25 PM »
For those of us who don't own the ready to race dlc you can't actually join the server :(

Just a heads up...
I'm not sure what car comes with what DLC any more. There's too many cars and DLCs for me to keep track of. The people who have the DLC want to use it, so I generally just assume everybody has the DLCs.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Shameless_1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 03:34:27 AM »
I'm getting "PROBLEMS DURING CHECKSUM" trying to join the server with any car.. did a validate and it replaced 2 files but still getting the same error. And yes I have this DLC.

Ready to Race DLC cars:

Audi R8 LMS 2016
Audi R18 e-tron quattro
Audi TT Cup 2016
Audi TT RS (VLN)
Lotus 3-Eleven
Maserati MC12 GT1
McLaren 570S
McLaren P1 GTR
Toyota Celica ST185 Turbo
Toyota TS040 Hybrid
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 03:48:40 AM by Shameless_1 »
--- A quitter never races and a Racer never quits. ---

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 07:16:48 AM »
I've just updated the server content - please try again.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 07:22:36 AM by Wally »

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 07:00:09 PM »
Has anyone successfully connected? I am also getting checksum error.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 07:18:17 PM »
What car are you trying? Bacchulum and I are on in Porsches.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 07:43:29 PM »
What car are you trying? Bacchulum and I are on in Porsches.
All fixed. Turned out I had to update the OSRW version of the track. Note that this was necessary (at least for me?) even though the practice server is not using OSRW version.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 08:12:14 PM by Gratulin »

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 09:14:56 PM »
A point on the KERS.

As Wally pointed out, you can harvest as much energy as you want/can, but the deployment is limited.
And it's limited by energy deployed, not time.
So if you use a low or preserve setting, it deploys at a lower power level and gives you more time on boost.
But when you use the button it deploys at the maximum allowed, so less time, but more instantaneous power.

AND, to make matters worse, each car has different characteristics.
For example;
The Toyota (on low preserve) uses almost all it's allocation automatically, leaving just a small amount of time for manual boost.
Whereas the Porsche (on low preserve again) uses much less automatically, leaving much more for manual usage.
And weirdly the Audi still boosts in charging mode, which seems counter-intuitive. ???

So my point is (I think), if your smart you choose a GT3! :o

2+2=√16

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 09:40:31 PM »
It is complicated, it's true. I think the best option so far in each of the 3 cars is to leave the MGU-K in Charging mode and deploy the KERS manually.

But Seanus and I just had a 6 lap race at Mugello, and the cat and mouse deployment of KERS at different times to try to overtake or defend, while also trying to preserve energy for later in the lap, was a really interesting element of the racing. I saw that Seanus was using his KERS to catch up, but rather than panic and use my own KERS, I knew he'd use it up while I still had some in reserve for later in the lap to pull away again. It will also take some situational awareness of how clear the track is in front of you to make use of the boost, and also to think if you're going to need to save it to pass some upcoming GT3's ahead of you without getting held up. It will be fascinating.

Offline GymnasticHippo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 09:49:14 PM »

Just a heads up...
I'm not sure what car comes with what DLC any more. There's too many cars and DLCs for me to keep track of. The people who have the DLC want to use it, so I generally just assume everybody has the DLCs.

Fair call mate. I thought it would have been ok to run the GT3 cars without having the content.

Looking at Gratulin's response i'll try and update the track now and then retry tomorrow night. That aside I see a good excuse for some more DLC haha

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 10:37:20 PM »
It is complicated, it's true. I think the best option so far in each of the 3 cars is to leave the MGU-K in Charging mode and deploy the KERS manually.

But Seanus and I just had a 6 lap race at Mugello, and the cat and mouse deployment of KERS at different times to try to overtake or defend, while also trying to preserve energy for later in the lap, was a really interesting element of the racing. I saw that Seanus was using his KERS to catch up, but rather than panic and use my own KERS, I knew he'd use it up while I still had some in reserve for later in the lap to pull away again. It will also take some situational awareness of how clear the track is in front of you to make use of the boost, and also to think if you're going to need to save it to pass some upcoming GT3's ahead of you without getting held up. It will be fascinating.
The only thing discouraging me from using charging only is the boost is most effective in the lower gears.
I'm usually too busy correcting power oversteer exiting a corner to push a button! :o

2+2=√16

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 10:32:36 AM »
Mugello is a bad track for regeneration in general.
There's really only the one big stop at the end of the straight, the rest are smaller braking zones and much more flowing.
The Audi is even more handicapped in this respect as it has no regeneration on the front axle, which is more efficient.

2+2=√16

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 02:34:16 PM »
Hey Wally,

I fear there is a bit of a problem with the LMP1s. I wanted to try the audi. I worked on it for a few laps and tried to learn the MGU-K and then I went for a few all-out laps on softs. I managed a 1:34.6.

Then I took the Porsche with 75% restrictor and on one single lap, all default, I did a 1:33.3. That sounds like a 2 to 3 seconds per lap advantage...

EDIT: I should clarify that my few laps do not mean so much. Just an alarm bell. Nothing more. Will test more, of course.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 03:01:15 PM by grat »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2017, 03:58:00 PM »
Personally, I was only 0.2 secs faster in the Porsche than the Audi. Different drivers will extract more or less out of each car. Seanus and Mael are very fast in the Toyota. I'll have to keep an eye on it and see if the Porsche still ends up too fast on the practice server times, and maybe go to 80% restrictor.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal