Xtreme Gaming Network

S15R4: Spa Post-Race Chat

Author Topic: S15R4: Spa Post-Race Chat  (Read 27686 times)

Offline Joe

• View Profile
Re: S15R4: Spa Post-Race Chat
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2017, 11:11:16 PM »

Shameless: I read your post twice and I am still not sure who you are criticizing. Maybe me, but in my case there was no car control issue, nor anything I could do whatsoever after the first touch with Diehard. Maybe others behind me and you---yes, I am sure we can all be more careful, but there is going to be some situation like this any now and then.

As for the restart: I don't know,... I don't mind too much. It was boring to be 2 minutes down, but it is the price you pay for a lap 1 crash. It happens in real life, it happens here. I don't think Wally is doing anything wrong there.

I'm not pointing fingers really at anyone, it was more of a general quality of racing.  And sorry 2 cars rolling backwards across a track from one side to the other could have braked. I honestly see no excuse for a car to roll anywhere if there is no brake failure, it's pure driver error. Accidents happen, it's what's happening directly after that is the main issue. Even when people spin of their own accord when there are cars coming at them fast. It's making the racing less safer than it should be if people were more aware of what's coming. Are people still not using a track map or something?

Maybe you've just been unlucky. I had 3 or 4 people spin infront of me in race 2 and it was fairly predictable and i could easily avoid them. I'm sure everyone is doing all they can not to get on the way.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2017, 11:14:21 PM »

Shameless: I read your post twice and I am still not sure who you are criticizing. Maybe me, but in my case there was no car control issue, nor anything I could do whatsoever after the first touch with Diehard. Maybe others behind me and you---yes, I am sure we can all be more careful, but there is going to be some situation like this any now and then.

As for the restart: I don't know,... I don't mind too much. It was boring to be 2 minutes down, but it is the price you pay for a lap 1 crash. It happens in real life, it happens here. I don't think Wally is doing anything wrong there.
I'm not pointing fingers really at anyone, it was more of a general quality of racing.  And sorry 2 cars rolling backwards across a track from one side to the other could have braked. I honestly see no excuse for a car to roll anywhere if there is no brake failure, it's pure driver error. Accidents happen, it's what's happening directly after that is the main issue. Even when people spin of their own accord when there are cars coming at them fast. It's making the racing less safer than it should be if people were more aware of what's coming. Are people still not using a track map or something?
Ok, now I see what you mean. I can't talk about the specific episode, because I did not see the replay from your car. I know sometimes I get a bit annoyed when people in quali get off the track and rejoin in front of you (today one car did that and it was its outlap, so I was quite buffled by it). So yes: I agree with you in principle. But I think we need to be constructive and talk to each other to get better. I feel I learned a lot in these two years---I was causing many more accidents at the beginning, and of course I never meant to. And at least in the front pack I have to say the last two seasons have been very very clean. Actually impressively so, if I think of my first two seasons. So there is hope ;)

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2017, 11:14:37 PM »
A good little battle with wally at the end. Given another lap i think I'd have got you ;)
That was great pressure. I think you would have - I was starting to lose a bit of confidence in my tyres by the end. Your tyres were one lap fresher than mine.

For race 1 I heard Wally ask about a restart so I pulled over and the rest of the field pass me only to find out it wasn't going to happen, it should have.
Nope, that wasn't me. This is why I have had the longstanding rule of no restarts on Tuesday night races: it makes there be more at stake. You can't just "reset" and start again. There's more tension, more pressure, more emotion even, which is all part of racing. Not every race is a good race - and that makes the good races all the sweeter. Racing happens between your ears as well as between rubber and road. If you've been in a big crash, you can get your head together, knuckle down and keep racing. You don't see the Supercars drivers deciding to pack up and go home if they've had a crash in race 1.

Knowing there's no restarts also makes people a little more careful, in general. Everyone drove like angels in race 2 :)
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2017, 11:24:12 PM »
I got cleaned up with Grat's airborne car coming through my windscreen in race 1, but made repairs when I pitted, and ended up climbing from 14th after the crash to 8th by the end. I had some good chases in that race, chasing down both Simone and Freezer (who was visibly damaged) after I pitted, making passes on them both.

In race 2, I had lots of good battles with the likes of Nith, ab156 and Joe. Phil came out of the pits and ended up just behind me, but I stuffed up my line into Eau Rouge and had to lift a little to correct my line, which allowed Phil to easily pass me on the straight. Then on lap 8 I had a lose coming up from Eau Rouge when I was in 3rd spot, and spun into the wall, dropping a couple of spots I had gained and copping a little damage. I had a great chase of ab156 over a couple of laps, finally passing him with an inside move. Then at the end of the race, Joe was pressuring me, right behind me, but I was able to hang on to finish 0.29 secs in front of him. Race 2 was my best result for the season so far, with a 4th.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Shameless_1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2017, 11:33:28 PM »

For race 1 I heard Wally ask about a restart so I pulled over and the rest of the field pass me only to find out it wasn't going to happen, it should have.
Nope, that wasn't me. This is why I have had the longstanding rule of no restarts on Tuesday night races: it makes there be more at stake. You can't just "reset" and start again. There's more tension, more pressure, more emotion even, which is all part of racing. Not every race is a good race - and that makes the good races all the sweeter. Racing happens between your ears as well as between rubber and road. If you've been in a big crash, you can get your head together, knuckle down and keep racing. You don't see the Supercars drivers deciding to pack up and go home if they've had a crash in race 1.

Knowing there's no restarts also makes people a little more careful, in general. Everyone drove like angels in race 2 :)

If it wasn't you I heard someone say it and I thought it was strange. I'm all for no restarts on tuesday nights. My teamspeak sound died straight after so couldn't ask.
--- A quitter never races and a Racer never quits. ---

Offline Shameless_1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2017, 11:41:42 PM »

Ok, now I see what you mean. I can't talk about the specific episode, because I did not see the replay from your car. I know sometimes I get a bit annoyed when people in quali get off the track and rejoin in front of you (today one car did that and it was its outlap, so I was quite buffled by it). So yes: I agree with you in principle. But I think we need to be constructive and talk to each other to get better. I feel I learned a lot in these two years---I was causing many more accidents at the beginning, and of course I never meant to. And at least in the front pack I have to say the last two seasons have been very very clean. Actually impressively so, if I think of my first two seasons. So there is hope ;)

We all get annoyed. I still believe that a lot of the incidents and lack of racing etiquette seems to revolve around sprint races. There are plenty of incidents in qualifying. I've been tailgated and shoved off the track during a hotlap because someone wasn't thinking, people come off and then re enter right in front of me and so on.  I know I've taken out Rob without meaning to and we can all misjudge things. I'm just asking for a little more awareness and people to learn what to do during an accident to control their cars better. It looks like desperation and carelessness, something that should not really exist in a tuesday night league race.
--- A quitter never races and a Racer never quits. ---

Offline doobs

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2017, 11:42:07 PM »
Race 1 started well, and I did okay. Avoided the carnage.

Race 2 started better and by lap 4 I was feeling great, hitting good lines with a decent enough pace.
By Lap 4.5 I touched a ripple strip and smacked a wall, lap 5.1 I screwed Eau Rouge and did it again.

Rest of it was Meh.

The End

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2017, 11:53:09 PM »
....This is why I have had the longstanding rule of no restarts on Tuesday night races....

That's the first of heard of it, unless I am aware and merely forgotten, however I would swear in a court of law that we have had restarts before?
In real life this race would have been red flagged. ffs
If I was aware of said rule I would simply be bummed at another ruined race, but still MOST of the field got screwed here. ffs
Maybe the rule is clearly stated somewhere but many a race where Wally was admin have had restarts so I feel any confusion is reasonable.
The reason I am Fucking pissed is this is the first time on any and all of our races that I've felt a restart was needed, most times shit happens, I get spun out I continue on, that's life as you said, but  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Because it's been a longstanding rule, it's probably not in writing anywhere recently. My bad - but I hope it's now clear.

We've had restarts just in fun races on Tuesday nights between seasons. I'll also have a restart if something's technically screwed up, like the grid is completely wrong and can be fixed, for example, but not for racing accidents, which are all part of racing.

Offline doobs

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2017, 12:01:37 AM »
Wally has only ever restarted because of technical issues causing someone to miss the start or server caused havoc.
or
If it's a practice race.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2017, 12:04:56 AM »
....This is why I have had the longstanding rule of no restarts on Tuesday night races....

That's the first of heard of it, unless I am aware and merely forgotten, however I would swear in a court of law that we have had restarts before?
In real life this race would have been red flagged. ffs
If I was aware of said rule I would simply be bummed at another ruined race, but still MOST of the field got screwed here. ffs
Maybe the rule is clearly stated somewhere but many a race where Wally was admin have had restarts so I feel any confusion is reasonable.
The reason I am Fucking pissed is this is the first time on any and all of our races that I've felt a restart was needed, most times shit happens, I get spun out I continue on, that's life as you said, but  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Personally I don't care about restarting or not. But it should be said in Wally's defense that in real life those races are restarted because the track is full of what remains of the cars. Were it to be possible to just get all the cars back to pits by pressing ESC it would probably be it.

PS: did not notice your epicurean signature before.

Offline Seanus

• RestrictedRacing
  • ∞+1|ℵ₀ Seanus
    • View Profile
    • GzeroD's output
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2017, 12:43:45 AM »
....If it's a practice race.

Ah ha! That reminds me of an idea of mine, as follows:
During Practice the server should be, at suitable intervals, cycled to a Race so everybody gets to practice that. i.e. a start. Half a lap or so and cycle back to practice.
We spend X amount of hours on the Practice server during the week then an hour on race night followed by twenty minutes of qualifying then straight to the race where an incident such as tonight's throws all that preparation and expectations out the window.

"train of thought,,, must improve laptime, tweak springs, dampers, pressures, wings, brake points, et al . qualified well now concentrate on a good start and...... oh fuck where do I brake for the first corner? I've never been here going so slow before and how do I know when that car in front is going to brake? oh shit! crash!!,,,end thinking"

It should also be good practice for, anyone who chooses, to also do this offline as well, so as to get familiar with braking points from various grid positions and perhaps how to run side by side for the first part of the lap.

Comment...
I always knew the Sun shone out of my arse. Sean's bum is an anagram of Sunbeams.

Offline AJ

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2017, 12:44:07 AM »
After not being able to get on until there was 2 minutes left in quali I was happy with my Race 1 as I was fairly consistent especially considering the lack of practice and even managed to have a couple of good battles. Was really disappointed to not be able to get back in for Race 2 :(

Offline AJ

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2017, 12:45:43 AM »
....If it's a practice race.

Ah ha! That reminds me of an idea of mine, as follows:
During Practice the server should be, at suitable intervals, cycled to a Race so everybody gets to practice that. i.e. a start. Half a lap or so and cycle back to practice.
We spend X amount of hours on the Practice server during the week then an hour on race night followed by twenty minutes of qualifying then straight to the race where an incident such as tonight's throws all that preparation and expectations out the window.

"train of thought,,, must improve laptime, tweak springs, dampers, pressures, wings, brake points, et al . qualified well now concentrate on a good start and...... oh fuck where do I brake for the first corner? I've never been here going so slow before and how do I know when that car in front is going to brake? oh shit! crash!!,,,end thinking"

It should also be good practice for, anyone who chooses, to also do this offline as well, so as to get familiar with braking points from various grid positions and perhaps how to run side by side for the first part of the lap.

Comment...

I understand your points, but really, that's part of racing. You don't get practice starts in real racing either.

Offline marty

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2017, 01:06:42 AM »
Anyone got a video of the race 1 start should be interesting viewing.  ;D

Offline Seanus

• RestrictedRacing
  • ∞+1|ℵ₀ Seanus
    • View Profile
    • GzeroD's output
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2017, 01:08:17 AM »
....practice starts in real racing either.

Perhaps they should, seeing as how often the first corner of a race is a fustercluck. Mostly politics but also the exigencies of real life prevent this from happening but as a Sim does not need to, nor necessarily, follow real life I propose such a policy could help.
I always knew the Sun shone out of my arse. Sean's bum is an anagram of Sunbeams.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal