Xtreme Gaming Network

A good car setup helps...

Author Topic: A good car setup helps...  (Read 12744 times)

Rolz

A good car setup helps...
« on: April 01, 2015, 10:12:45 AM »
Stuff to work on - setups

Having never raced sims prior to AC (though I was an Arcade rat with Sega Rally and Daytona - don't hate me) I was always used to jump in and drive.

Now I'm starting to play with settings, but still epically green when it comes to it all... any hints and tips? Or just trial and error...

I know camber now and have a fair judge on how to play with that to stop my arse from sliding out (yes yes or I could come into corner not as hot) But "Toe" that one is still black magic and voodoo... every time I play there I end up putting it back to how it was and run off with my tail between my legs...  :o

Then all the rest... ride height and downforce I'm good as well with...

Why are some of the setups I see/get my hands on have the steering FF modified so low?

Do you recommend any YouTube video's on this stuff?

I try to read up about it and I can feel my eyes start to glaze over...

Thank heaps all!   ;D

Offline Wobblyone

• Adrenalin is brown...
    • View Profile
Re: A good car setup helps...
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 10:26:51 AM »
One of the boys put a simple setup guide on here a while back had some good info...can't remember where...but setup is always a compromise u can get time in certain areas by doing certain things but will lose it else where...I like to carry a lot of entry speed and like a lot of front end grip if I can get it, and generally set the car up to perform as well as it can out of the most important bends ie get good gearing balance onto the fastest straights, getting gearing that works 4 u is important...setup wise u really need to be constant on that track then try changes...only one thing at a time, otherwise u disappear up ur own ass and forget what's actually improved or made the worse...I felt I had a pretty good setup in the Alfa but watched Jeremy pull half to a sec a lap on me all night,  I'd been doing consistent laps in the 10s during practice but couldn't get it to work on the night, sometimes it can just be you haven't got your eye in...and ur a bit untidy. I find the differential settings make a lot of difference on balance under power and braking,  Re force feedback...to much slows u down...especially over kerbs bumps, as the wheel reacts u react...throws car off balance, some aliens don't use any FF pretty much just damping.

Offline StanDaam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 10:36:37 AM »
My favourite setup tweak is definitely the anti roll bars (of course with all the other stuffs). Want more turn in, less front ARB. Want a tight rear, less rear ARB, more front ARB. More turn in high speed corners, more rear ARB. Want less turn in but more control, increase front ARB. Love it!!
 :)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 10:44:22 AM »
Wobblyone, are you the same person who's wobblysauce on ARSE?   Your writing is of a similar nature; very hard to read.  If you're keen on people reading your thoughts, you might want to use paragraphs, proper punctuation & grammar, even full words are helpful. 

Hope you take it the way it was intended. :)

Sorry for the off-topic, now back on;

Setup is black magic. 

Ok not really, but it's far from being a mathematically describable thing, because of our preferences.
There are certain things that are (usually) given;  the car's end that's softer, will have more grip.  Harder: more responsive;  softer; more grippy.
Meaning, for example; softening a front rollbar (lower it) will make the car grippy at the front; turn better, get less understeery / more oversteery.

The basics are fairly easy to learn; eg camber, caster, toe, brake balance, gearing, tyre pressures.  However, as you start going into wings, springs, and especially dampers, things can get really funny.  And the LSD can have a huge effect on the handling, too.

There was a post somewhere here describing the basic method of creating a setup, which was pretty good.

But if you want to learn it, the most important thing is to do it.  Try to change something, drive it, and see/feel the effect.  (Edit: ok, first of all, read up on it to understand what's the meaning, purpose, and expected effect)
I'd start off with a fairly basic street car with limited options, and see what each change does.
Different cars will also react differently to things.

As for the FF value; many people set it here, instead of in a global location, that's all to it.  Just crank it up if you like.
Many (otherwise good) setups will have a too-far forward brake balance, too; especially if you're like me and you like to keep trailing throttle under braking (stabilises the car - but you need more rearwards brake balance)

« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 10:46:25 AM by Bird »

Rolz

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 10:55:56 AM »
especially if you're like me and you like to keep trailing throttle under braking (stabilises the car - but you need more rearwards brake balance)

What is this trailing throttle you speak of Bird?
Is that left foot braking?

I've only slightly dabbled with it on manual cars, but only when I'm trying new things and want to know the benefits when I see the real car racer do it...

Never done it in Tuesday night racing... I think my brain would pop with the self imposed pressure I'm already putting myself under.  :P

Offline Wobblyone

• Adrenalin is brown...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 11:02:36 AM »
Sorry bird unare corecto I have a iPad and I type with one finger my gramma is terrible and the rest of those big words u said...I'll try harder sorry sir ;)

I'm just lazy and rush my posts

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 11:49:19 AM »
I am pretty much at the same stage as Rolz describes ie just starting to explore and learn. One thing I noticed this week was that when I made a setup change it could sometimes change the speed into or out of a corner and then cause me problems on the subsequent corner. So I had to relearn the whole sequence with the new speed into and out of those corners. So a setup change might initially feel slower but with practise could actually be slower.

I have especially found this with some of Guybrush and Bacchulum setups where I cannot drive their setups until I have progressed more in learning the car/track combo.

Offline Wobblyone

• Adrenalin is brown...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 02:54:34 PM »
Bird, I have no idea of this wobbly sauce you speak of. Quite possibly a distant relative of mine. 

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 04:00:38 PM »
Sorry bird unare corecto I have a iPad and I type with one finger my gramma is terrible and the rest of those big words u said...I'll try harder sorry sir ;)

I'm just lazy and rush my posts

All good, I was just pointing out something - up to you what you do with the information ;)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 04:08:09 PM »
especially if you're like me and you like to keep trailing throttle under braking (stabilises the car - but you need more rearwards brake balance)

What is this trailing throttle you speak of Bird?
Is that left foot braking?

It's not just LFB (left-foot braking), but it's a requirement.  A few drivers use it in real life, too.  But it puts extra strain on the car, so real drivers tend to avoid it.
Basically you keep a slight bit of throttle on while you're turning into the corner - which you obviously can't safely do unless you LFB.
It makes sure the rear end does not lock up - on either end, therefore it adds stability.  It's also a control to under/oversteery behaviour, but it's not an easy one :)
If you need more turn, you can let the throttle up (typically just before the apex you'd do that).
If you need stability you can add more throttle anytime.

So far the advantages.

And the drawback: it can add a bit to your braking distance.  If you overdo it, it adds a significantly more. 

I'm not sure how fast or not this technique is, I'm just used to it. 
Some of the aliens do it, but not all.  Eg Darren used to, Guybrush does not.   

Edit: sorry correction; on turn in you let the throttle up, not the brake, to turn in more....duh.

And the funny thing is, if I look at it this way it's not a good thing; I am potentially letting up on the throttle exactly when I need to add throttle - i.e. before the apex.  I've never really thought about that.  Now I need to watch myself if I really do that often, or only when the need arises.   
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 04:18:07 PM by Bird »

Rolz

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 04:11:45 PM »
woah cool... will have a bit of a play

Offline Wobblyone

• Adrenalin is brown...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 04:49:33 PM »
We used to use it a lot in karting, only the direct drive stuff personally never used it in gearbox stuff...does stabilise things a bit and can help on exit a lot getting the motor working but yes hard on gear only ok if daddy is paying for it, or you a lot of overtime ;)

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 05:09:40 PM »
And the LSD can have a huge effect on the handling, too.
I can handle my LSD. ;)

2+2=√16

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 07:20:14 PM »
I only use a little bit of throttle mid corner to stabilise an overstering car.  I don't use it regularly on every corner though.  More of an "As needed" thing.  I doubt I would use any on turn in as it stops the car turning.

Offline StanDaam

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 09:32:43 AM »
I'm struggling with this tutorial...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal