Xtreme Gaming Network

Best wishes to Flattop

Author Topic: Best wishes to Flattop  (Read 82645 times)

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
Re: Best wishes to Flattop
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2017, 08:47:18 AM »
I feel very sad. 
For many years we've known each other, raced together, and he was indeed the "top bloke", the best gentleman you can ask for, both on the track and off it.

My suggestion is, since the Pat Phillips cup is about full, we start a new one in memory of Bruce.

RIP my friend.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 08:53:30 AM by Bird »

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2017, 11:42:43 AM »
I feel very sad. 
For many years we've known each other, raced together, and he was indeed the "top bloke", the best gentleman you can ask for, both on the track and off it.

My suggestion is, since the Pat Phillips cup is about full, we start a new one in memory of Bruce.

RIP my friend.
Yes, that's a good idea.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2017, 03:08:15 PM »
For all the time I have been simracing  Flattop has been there as well, we shared a passion and affinity for all things historic. Historic Thursdays exists because of Bruce his patience had no bounds to keep things going on Thursday nights, often at the expense of his own enjoyment. He new how to make any newcomer feel welcome and if you happen to eventually win he would make that special as well. That is why we have so many people  who are proud to be part of the xgn family. I always expected to see out my simracing days with Bruce along for the ride as well. Rest in Peace Bruce it was a pleasure and priveledge to race with you
I would like to propose we now call Thursday Fun Nights, Flattop Thursdays as a permanent memorial.
social media is the tobacco of this century

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2017, 04:07:09 PM »
I like the idea
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Seanus

• RestrictedRacing
  • ∞+1|ℵ₀ Seanus
    • View Profile
    • GzeroD's output
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2017, 08:05:52 PM »
ditto
I always knew the Sun shone out of my arse. Sean's bum is an anagram of Sunbeams.

Offline grat

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2017, 08:43:47 PM »
I almost never manage to join on Thursday, but this is a beautiful proposal!

Offline gawaterman

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2017, 12:02:28 PM »
Very sad news. A thorough gentleman, and although I never met him personally I am sure he was the nicest person you could wish to meet.
I know whenever I joined a session, the first time Bruce said something on Teamspeak, I just somehow felt happier, knowing he was going to be racing that night.
Going to miss him greatly.

Offline SpeedFreak

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2017, 01:21:03 PM »
I dont even no were to start
This man was and always will be a Legend of XGN
Bruce would go out of his way to welcome and help new racers as much as he could never had a bad word about people and just loved to race .. im sure if someone made a FG /FX holden mod we would have race that every season ;)
It was always a pleasure to paint him up a car for a new season.
Was good to chat on Teamspeak u always got that cheerful "Evening guys how r we all " or "Great nights racing guys see ya next week "
Having raced with Flatty over so many years here i was devastated when Glen sent me a message on saturday about Bruce's passing
Even thou i havent raced here for awhile ive stayed intouch with Bruce thou facebook and reading some posts on his facebook page everyone had the same opinion of him a true gentleman a great friend and love life & people
So with great sadness i say goodbye old friend  its been a appsaulte pleasure both off and on the track
Rest peacefully FLATTOP 13#
A true gentleman gone but will not be forgotten

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2017, 03:32:51 PM »
I would like to propose we now call Thursday Fun Nights, Flattop Thursdays as a permanent memorial.
I'd like to see the Pat Phillips Cup continue on Tuesdays and go with the Thursday memorial for Flattop.
Thursday was Bruce's natural habitat, after all.

2+2=√16

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2017, 04:17:30 PM »
I'd like to see the Pat Phillips Cup continue on Tuesdays and go with the Thursday memorial for Flattop.
I'm comfortable with that, because I still wanted to honour Pat's memory as well.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2017, 05:42:17 PM »
I agree, wholeheartedly.

Offline humper

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2017, 06:03:36 PM »
Thanks folks for suggesting, supporting and making the change to "Flattop Thursday's".
It just feels right

Offline SpeedFreak

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2017, 09:15:26 AM »
Hello All,
We're using this account to pass on information about Bruce (written by his family - Denise, Edwina and Jean) - so please don't freak-out when you get this message...
Bruce unfortunately lost his battle with cancer on Saturday 9th December 2017. He was incredibly strong and determined to beat the illness, but it was just too much. He was surrounded by his loving family and friends in the final weeks.
We will be celebrating his incredible life on Thursday 14th December 2017 at 12-noon at Bunurong Memorial Park, 790 Frankston-Dandenong Road, Dandenong South 3175.
Thank you to all for your love and support.

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2017, 11:01:55 AM »
Thank you very much for letting us know, Bruce was an amazing man and has had an impact on all of us here in someway, be it his generosity or his ability to make folks feel welcome, My sincerest condolence to Denise, Edwina and Jean.
 I will be there in spirit.
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Guybrush Threepwood

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2017, 09:40:35 PM »
Shit, shit shit.  I haven't checked the forums for a bit so was absolutely shocked to hear this devastating news.  Last I heard Bruce was taking time out to deal with it all but was still in good spirits.

I'm still shocked with a tear in my eye and have to say that I echo everyone else's comments about him being a genuinely welcoming, warm, humorous, and all-round decent person.  I'll always remember talking to Bruce when I first started, him having a laugh at some of the twisted rubbish I came up with I'm sure just to make me feel welcome to XGN.  He was always a gentlemen on track and was generous in how he behaved toward others (even when getting cut-off or ran into).  Also a great person to chat with when the servers went down.  I'm just regretful that I wasn't around for the last few seasons with him.

What a tremendous loss to the sim racing community, but I'm sure nothing compared to what his family and "real life" friends must be going through given the type of bloke he was.  I still can't believe it, but I guess the best one's are taken to a better place.  I'm sure the bugger is setup with a giant motion rig and 10 foot OLED screen playing AC on a super computer as we speak!

RIP Bruce.  Forever immortalised here at XGN by equally great people.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal