Xtreme Gaming Network

Monitors are not recognised...can you help?

Author Topic: Monitors are not recognised...can you help?  (Read 10057 times)

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
Monitors are not recognised...can you help?
« on: September 10, 2019, 03:11:13 PM »
Hi all
So I run a quad monitor setup, triple span and a separate one.
I've been doing that for a number of years with different graphics cars and monitors and this is the first time the triples are not showing up in the Nvidia control panel. I run Win10, the triples are all on display ports directly into the GPU, which is a pretty new new Gigabyte RTX2080, the 4th monitor is on a HDMI port and that's the only screen working atm.
Cables are all properly plugged in. The setup was working fine so far...till I turned it off after Tuesday's races.
The monitors are all turned on. The triple screens show a message 'no input signal'. They've actually always done that after turning on the PC, but then it disappeared and the screens were working. Now they stay black and Nvidia can't detect them. Turned this thing on/off multiple times, unplugged the monitors...all that doesn't help.
Any advice would be awesome.
Cheers

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: Monitors are not recognised...can you help?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 03:21:01 PM »
Are the monitors set to displayport input, have you tried one at time disconnecting the others. If it was working before but not now I'd suspect a windows update bork, try running DDU in safe mode and reinstall the latest nvidia driver.
https://www.wagnardsoft.com/
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 03:23:03 PM by buellersdayoff »

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 10:36:56 AM »
Are the monitors set to displayport input, have you tried one at time disconnecting the others. If it was working before but not now I'd suspect a windows update bork, try running DDU in safe mode and reinstall the latest nvidia driver.
https://www.wagnardsoft.com/
Thank you very much :-)
I don't know if they are set to displayport and I don't know where to do that.
I will try connecting them one by one...haven't done that yet.
The system was working for quite some time without any problems.
So DDU is uninstalling the current driver, right?

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 10:49:55 AM »
https://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/ddu-guide-tutorial
You should be able to select your input from the monitors menu, either hdmi or displayport, if they have multiple inputs. Trying one at a time is suggested just in case there's a problem with the gpu running all outputs (maybe faulty).

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 11:23:55 PM »
https://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/ddu-guide-tutorial
You should be able to select your input from the monitors menu, either hdmi or displayport, if they have multiple inputs. Trying one at a time is suggested just in case there's a problem with the gpu running all outputs (maybe faulty).

Thanks again mate.
It's a great tutorial. So I've done all that. The monitors are set to display port, old driver uninstalled with DDU and then the latest  one installed. Tried them then one by one as well. However, it hasn't fixed it. During the 2nd race the Tuesday before I noticed a burning smell, parked the car and checked everything. I couldn't figure out where it was coming from...thought I just fancied it. The screens were working fine the rest of the race and race 3 as well.
Maybe there was a problem with the GPU which just showed a week later when I turned the computer on again.
Looks like the GPU is f'd. Again, it's pretty much a brand new one. What do think? Any other things I should check before bringing it back to umart?
It will probably take ages again to get a new one :-(
Cheers

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 11:52:10 PM »
Do you have a spare gpu you can test with those monitors or test the monitors out with hdmi? Does seem possible the gpu faulty, the rtx cards have had some issues.

Offline Gratulin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 06:43:38 AM »
I had similar problem with display port. First time turned out to be a dud cable. Second time turned out to be a dud driver install.

1. Try disconnecting all but the first monitor. Then change the cable for that monitor with your other cables to try and isolate any bad cable. Also try connecting the other monitors to make sure the monitor isn’t the problem.

2. If above doesn’t work then try the driver. Completely uninstall the drivers and let windows install default drivers. That way you can prove if the hardware is working. You should be able to get at least Windows displaying on the monitors in default resolution. A note of caution - I did this with AMD only.

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2019, 11:57:55 AM »
Gooogle found some things to try...from other users

1. Disconnected power cable for the 144hz monitor and then it worked connected via displayport. give it a try..

2. another user here (https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1082565/?offset=4#5942388) who posted a solution that using the 416.35 drivers resolves the issue.

3. windows 10 automatically set my main monitor to "disconnect this monitor" on display settings. I had to change it to "Extend desktop to this display" option in multiple display to get it working again.

4. tried a bunch of things, including resetting mobo bios, reinstalling card and cables, and now for whatever reason DisplayPort is working again. Not entirely sure what did the trick.

For the benefit of future readers: also installing https://www.techpowerup.com/244981/nvidia-has-a-displayport-problem-which-only-a-bios-update-can-fix just in case it is related and it can prevent the problem from re-appearing. When I ran the Nvidia tool it said an update to the graphics card's bios was needed.

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2019, 02:59:31 PM »
Thanks again for your help.
I actually do have a spare 2080...almost forgot. So I put it in and everything works fine...done no changes...just works.
What do you think it's the likelihood the other one is faulty?
I mean it can't be the cables or the monitors...they obviously work. Maybe the Gigabyte RTX2080 is a bit more picky in regard to the driver. Dunno if that makes sense at all. The one I've got in now is an Asus one.
So I've got to make a decision on whether to fiddle around with the Gigabyte or just get it back to umart.

Another question, the Asus is a dual fan one and these guys are really fat. So there is soundcard, a Soundblaster Zx covering pretty much one fan entirely. The gap between them is just about 5mm. Do you think that's a problem?
Cheers

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2019, 03:22:34 PM »
So if you put the gigabyte card back in the problem persists? If so then for sure it's the card. Also if your gpu temps are good, slightly restricted airflow shouldn't be a problem, your new case has good airflow anyways right?

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2019, 06:27:49 PM »
So if you put the gigabyte card back in the problem persists? If so then for sure it's the card. Also if your gpu temps are good, slightly restricted airflow shouldn't be a problem, your new case has good airflow anyways right?

Ok, I just swapped cards again, the Gigabyte detects only one monitor and the Asus all 4.
The case is an Asus tuf gt501 with 6 intake fans...I'd think airflow is ok.
https://www.asus.com/au/Gaming-Case/TUF-Gaming-GT501-Case/
Many thanks for your help  :)

Offline buellersdayoff

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2019, 06:36:03 PM »
No probs, too bad the gpu died

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2019, 07:05:59 AM »
The first 2080 I bought was a Gigabyte, which also died. I was able to exchange it for an Asus that has been OK.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline killagorilla

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2019, 07:58:26 PM »
I dropped it off at the local Umart shop (where I bought it) on 24 Sept and got an email today saying it's ready for pick up.
That makes it 7 weeks and one day...wow, I'm impressed.
No idea what these buddies with Gigabyte are thinking. Maybe they assume everyone has a spare 2080 lying around or doesn't care about not being able to use his computer.
Won't buy Gigabyte again.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 08:04:50 PM by killagorilla »

Offline Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2019, 08:05:19 AM »
I had a Gigabyte 1070 and now a Gigabyte 2070 super. Never had an issue so luck of the draw I guess.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal