Xtreme Gaming Network

Rust in pieces

Author Topic: Rust in pieces  (Read 11044 times)

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Rust in pieces
« on: August 24, 2018, 02:53:28 PM »
Thought I'll post some progress of my "Best 4 x 4 x far"  ;D

The story so far, bought a rusted out Range Rover Classic 1982 for about nothing with the idea to restore it with my father. That way we both avoid having to watching the multitude of cooking shows on TV.  Both of us has had done a lot woodworking in the past but no mechanical or metal work at all. Still ended up paying too much for it though. During the 5km drive home it ran out of fuel (subsequently discovered a hole in the fuel tank) and had the brakes fail.  ::)

I'll post a few photo's later but so far spend MANY hours cutting rust out, both sides inner and outer sill has been replaced together with the rear interior quarter floors. We currently putting the rear axle back after cleaning, painting, replacing all the suspension bushes and rear wheel bearings. Sort of working from the back to the front  :) Its a 5 year project so lots of time left.

Below is what its suppose to look like, hopefully in we'll get it close

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
Re: Rust in pieces
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 03:14:39 PM »
Thanks Mael, I was wondering how it was going. Anything would beat watching cooking shows :) :).
social media is the tobacco of this century

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 03:30:30 PM »
sounds fun, looking forward to seeing more pics
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 10:45:06 PM »
Bit of an update. After much welding and painting both sides inner and outer sills has been welding in. The welds are a bit ugly but in their wisdom Land Rover had designed plastic covers which will be attached over the sills once the final finishing is done.

The rear axle and suspension has been removed, disassembled, cleaned, painted and reassembled with new bolts and bushes. I have decided to go for the patented "Äir Suspension". guaranteed to give a aggressive low stance with minimal body roll through the corners  ;D .

The brake shields were especially fun (Blue arrow above). The originals were rusted through and new ones seemed to be unobtainable for my model. So it called for some manufacturing. Started with the original as template.

Then some bending, ignore the top double hole. We realized a bit too late that the sides were not symmetrical. Luckily it forced us to add some strengthening around the bolt holes and with nuts welded to the shieldthe end result were as below:

Now for a bonus question. Looking from behind the car through the boot floor. The blue arrow is the rear differential. What is the big cylindrical object (red arrow) for on the rear suspension, ?

Offline Phil.8

• RestrictedRacing
  • Δ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 10:53:52 PM »
looking good :)
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 07:40:33 AM »
Is the red thing where you plug your iPod in?

That's some project. It must be very satisfying when it's finished, to know everything that went into it.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 07:43:49 AM »
Well done Mael, looking very nice :).

Answer: I have no idea, strange place to put a shock absorber :o.

Offline Seanus

• RestrictedRacing
  • ∞+1|ℵ₀ Seanus
    • View Profile
    • GzeroD's output
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2018, 02:56:36 PM »
Boge self-levelling ride-unit.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 02:59:04 PM by GzeroD »
I always knew the Sun shone out of my arse. Sean's bum is an anagram of Sunbeams.

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2018, 03:19:03 PM »
awesome, thanks for the update!

If that thing is a central shock or spring, that's a very intersting way about it!

Offline Bacchulum

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2018, 04:12:29 PM »
I had to google boge, but I'm led to believe it's a "self-energising hydraulic strut", Bird.

2+2=√16

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2018, 10:28:28 PM »
Hey Wally, give Seanus a bonus point for the next race  ;D

Its a self leveling ride unit, basically a shock that always tries to stay the same length. If you load the vehicle causing the rear to sag then the shock increase its extending pressure forcing the rear suspension to raise.

Whether it works or not I do not know but my unit was reconditioned by a friendly Queensland company called W.W Shock Absorbers. The only thing they did wrong was painting the unit black, it is suppose to be blue. Interestingly it was made in Germany.

From Range-Rover-Classic.com

Ride-level unit

The ride-level unit acts like a large damper, being energised by the vertical movements in the suspension system. The unit is sealed and requires no maintenance.

The location of this unit is between the 'A' frame at the rear axle. Its function is to keep the body of the car level, (provided that the load is evenly balanced across the vehicle). If the vehicle or trailer is overloaded, the ride-level unit will detect this and not operate, hence the rear of the vehicle will remain down.

Normally a vehicle which is designed to carry a heavy payload must have a rigid suspension which ensures sufficient reserves of vertical wheel movement when fully loaded. The Range Rover overcomes these problems by separating the two functions of the suspension.

When laden, about 60% of the payload is carried by the rear axle, causing the back to drop. However, as soon as the vehicle is in motion, the ride-level unit comes into operation and restores the body to a horizontal position. The weight of the payload is thus largely removed from the coil springs which are released to absorb any shock to the wheels. The Range Rover is consequently able to cross very difficult country in reasonable comfort even when fully laden.

The ride-level unit largely relieves the coil springs from supporting the payload weight, and provides warning of overload. It gives a level ride under all load conditions, on difficult terrain, and when towing.

Offline Wally

• Administrator
  • AC Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2018, 07:11:37 AM »
Interesting.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Offline Mael

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2018, 11:42:33 PM »
Well things has gone a bit weird since the last post.

The weekend started with just a bit of cleaning planned.

This progressed a bit further.

Then (after some serious floor cleaning) we thought removing a few bits more can't hurt. Got a bit out of had though  ;D

Even got the left wing off, Only 5 small bolts held the wing onto the body!!!!

Got no idea how we going to get all the bits back in  :o

Offline rooshooter

• RestrictedRacing
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2018, 07:46:48 AM »
You must like a challenge  :o :o :o :o  Who is going to take care of the wiring harness?

Offline Bird

• Administrator
  • Ysu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2018, 08:59:51 AM »
That'll be the ultimate puzzle. 
I've had problems putting the '86 back together, and I've only took the front off to install the new radiator. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal